The stupid questions thread.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Should I be questioning my sexuality over the fact that I can listen to an entire "florence and the machine song" without feeling like suicide?

Hew

Likes Dirt
I know we recently had the 'how do cranes work', which was very interesting, though now I must ask a question that has plagued me for years... How do multiple train locomotives work?

I mean, in the way of pulling the train, do they all drive at the same speed or slightly different or what? I thought about it and figured that if they all drove at the same speed having left at the same time then it would essentially mean the last locomotive is pulling the carriages and the other ones just drive along with no pressure between them, because they all are going the same speed right? And if they all go slightly slower from front to back then the front locomotive is pulling everything?

Someone help!

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Good question, but I think you are ignoring that there is constant resistance. Thus both locos share the force required to move the carriages.
Same as a Tandem bike.. imo

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Good question, but I think you are ignoring that there is constant resistance. Thus both locos share the force required to move the carriages.
Same as a Tandem bike.. imo
Not to have a go at you Wolf, but I think the comparison with a tandem is faulty because the riders input their power into a common drivetrain. A team of horses pulling a carriage might be a better analogy; all sharing the load, but putting their power down separately.
I believe (but can't reference) modern diesel locomotives can be linked together and operated from a single control panel with the on board electronics matching the power outputs.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
How do they make Jaffa oranges (i.e seedless ones) ?
Cloning.

Well grafting, which is technically cloning.

You get a mutant tree that produces seedless oranges and you graft new trees from it as to reproduce it.

They do the same with a lot of fruit to make ensure the genetics that produce the favourable fruit is maintained.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since :kev: got :very_drunk: and thought that :fox: was better than :llama:

Most people kinda reacted like this:

:twitch::crazy::tinfoil3::yell:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Why are cyclones always ladies names?

also, if I had a time machine and went back and killed my Dad, then I would cease to exist. But if I ceased to exist then I couldn't go back and kill him in the first place, so he would continue living and I would be born, and then able to go back in time and kill him. But... Hmmm...

Ivan

Eats Squid
Why are cyclones always ladies names?

also, if I had a time machine and went back and killed my Dad, then I would cease to exist. But if I ceased to exist then I couldn't go back and kill him in the first place, so he would continue living and I would be born, and then able to go back in time and kill him. But... Hmmm...
Or will you have just created an alternate reality beginning at the point of murdering your father? The only way to know for sure is if we does this. If Bill and Teds excellent adventure is anything to go by, your going to need an assistant [raises hand].