The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I had just finished weighing up some stuff of mine,(minimal stuff at that.)
all up it weighs 8KG of "Stuff"
My kit for C2C200 is coming in at 4kgs. Tent,fuel, Stove and Sleep system would add around 2.5kgs. so 6.5kgs complete without water, food, or my expected riding clothes.

lights/charger add another kiloish. I would probably drop half a kilo without civies.

41lbs (18.5kgs) for Marshal Birds setup is sounding fricking light. I reckon I'd come close though for TDR style (no stove, no tent) and using some Revelate Bags instead of a rack.

35-36lbs for Matt Lee's setup is insane!!

Cheers
Spoonie

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow that's pretty light mate,

It is amazing how much wiieght the smaller stuff takes up,
for instance my first-aid kit is a fraction over 400gm including swiss army knife. (to fight off bears)
I haven't weighed my C2C stuff but that will be mostly food and water
3l bladder plain , 12 gels, numerous bars, bananas, bottle of heavily mixed fuel on the bike

QZ13

Likes Dirt
my first-aid kit is a fraction over 400gm including swiss army knife. (to fight off bears)
That's why ebuk is coming with us. He's 80 kgs, but can fight off all the bears.

I want to see him 1" punch a hole in my baked bean cans too ;)

DaGonz

Eats Squid
That's why ebuk is coming with us. He's 80 kgs, but can fight off all the bears.
Experience tells me you only need to worry about bears if you're the slowest rider in the group...

Cheers
Spoonie - who was

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
My kit for C2C200 is coming in at 4kgs. Tent,fuel, Stove and Sleep system would add around 2.5kgs. so 6.5kgs complete without water, food, or my expected riding clothes.

lights/charger add another kiloish. I would probably drop half a kilo without civies.
Cheers
Spoonie
Didn't weigh my stuff all up, but I know that all the bike spares etc added 1500g straight up, then at least 500g for food, then 3kg water, then nearly 1kg for the pre-dawn layers of clothing:eek:
Then probably around 100g for my poor mans tri bars (some roadie tape on inner area of bars).

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
So Spoonie, I expect a full write-up after the ride.

It was intended as a good intro to this sort of stuff - realistically, 160-200km/day is what you want in a dirt brevet. In NZ, I know people pulled a couple of 300kmish days - but that's a long time in the saddle!

I've got another one in the works, a 300km 2-day route from Canberra to Tumut and back, the Brindabella 300. Again, mainly fireroads with some huge climbs, a smattering of sniggle and a great campground by the Tumut river.

I'm starting to get most of the route for my 1200 together now. Think Canberra, Mogo, south to Bermagui, opposite route of MTB up to Cooma, through the Kosczuisko somehow (?), across to Tumut, then back to Canberra via Wee Jasper. Lots of scouting and planning to do yet though - all in early planning stages!

ebuk

Likes Dirt
I want to see him 1" punch a hole in my baked bean cans too ;)

Take those instead. I don't think bears can use can openers so you should be safe.

Ninja's - always thinking outside the square.

Experience tells me you only need to worry about bears if you're the slowest rider in the group...
Cheers
Spoonie - who was
Ebuk - Who is. Even when I use gears!

SSDave

Likes Dirt
Interesting

I've got another one in the works, a 300km 2-day route from Canberra to Tumut and back, the Brindabella 300. Again, mainly fireroads with some huge climbs, a smattering of sniggle and a great campground by the Tumut river.
I was thinking of setting up a 2 day ride to Wee Jasper, but arriving at WJ at lunch and then spend the afternoon/evening abseiling & caving, followed by much eating and drinking, and then ride back into Canberra the following day. Depends of interest but.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
So Spoonie, I expect a full write-up after the ride.
:) I've been thinking about this morning actually. I think I did pretty well on the gear in that there wasn't much stuff I lugged around that I didn't use, only things like my emergency stuff, tools, tubes and firstaid. I didn't use a thermal I took but if it was colder in Canberra when we left I possibly would have.

I think I learnt a lesson on the perils of fobbing off not keeping warm though. As soon as I donned my wind stopper before captains flat and started to warm up I felt a million times better... 2 or so hours of a very low moment for that ride for me :)

A little tired now though, more so due to lack of sleep than anything I think. Legs and the like feel surprisngly good!

Cheers
Spoonie

DaGonz

Eats Squid
So spoonie.

Are we going to see any pictures or write ups about ur little adventure????

I hope so :p
I didn't take so many photos. Only a few at the pub with my mobile on the way home. I'll do a full write up though and check out Ty Domain's photos and wee write up here:

http://www.tydomin.com/1/post/2010/07/canberra-to-coast-200-c2c-200-2010.html

(no way my photos would have been as nice)

I have quite a few lessons learnt out of this one, for only a wee overnighter with no camping gear. I feel like such a novice at these things compared to the likes of Ed and the Anti-trainer.

Cheers
Spoonie

Matt Mead

Likes Bikes
I didn't take so many photos. Only a few at the pub with my mobile on the way home. I'll do a full write up though and check out Ty Domain's photos and wee write up here:

http://www.tydomin.com/1/post/2010/07/canberra-to-coast-200-c2c-200-2010.html

(no way my photos would have been as nice)

I have quite a few lessons learnt out of this one, for only a wee overnighter with no camping gear. I feel like such a novice at these things compared to the likes of Ed and the Anti-trainer.

Cheers
Spoonie
Cheers,

Looked like lots of fun!

ebuk

Likes Dirt
With a day off from work and some time spent pfaffing about with stuff, I think I'm set up for the Pie Eater 300 V1.0.2. All that's left to get is food and a train ticket on Saturday morning.

I need to review what I'm taking as it all seems a bit heavy.