The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, it looks like this will be the new thing to do.
If you looking at this thread, I'm sure you've looked at the Tour Divide.
While I won't be doing it soon, a few of us are doing some overniters.

Here's a place to start looking at equipment

It would be good for you guys to make a list.

Sleeping gear

Food / water including cutlery /crockery

Clothing

Spare parts / repair kits / Tools

First Aid

novelty items.

cleartanium spoon

Attachments

Last edited:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
With the costs of races goin where there goin, I thinks this is what all the cool kids will be doin soon.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my stuff so far

Sleeping gear
Roman 4 degree sleeping bag (but I'd like a sea to summit MKII sleeping bag)
sea to summit silk liner
Thermarest
Black wolf Bivvy
inflatable pillow

Food / water including cutlery /crockery
Dried bananas /fruit, Gels, home made powerbars, 2min noodles /cup a soup
orikaso foldable bowl / cup $30. http://www.hiking.com.au/search.asp?Keywords=orikaso
MSR + Gas + lighter/matches in a water proof container(berocca tin).

Clothing
Outer fleece / under wool thermal
arm warmers / legwarmers / beanie
jersey / baggies / bib-knicks
spare socks
rain jacket

Spare parts / repair kits / Tools
tubes / multitool / patchkit/ pump
chain links lube zip tie superglue ducttape

First Aid
brave soldier crash pack
toilet paper

novelty items.
First aid kit?
no seriously - Green ginger wine
deck of cards

What I need.
Frame bag / seatbag

i'll add more as i go on.

but this dude has it all

http://www.bikepacking.net/individual_setups/29er-singlespeed-bikepacking-setup/

Below is my stuff not including my 17litre backpack.
You can see my sleeping bag is pretty big I really need to get a smaller one.

Attachments

Last edited:

gixer7

Likes Dirt
With the costs of races goin where there goin, I thinks this is what all the cool kids will be doin soon.
Agreed. Have already started some preliminary planning for 2011.

Dreggsy - great idea for a thread.

What does all the extra gear you carry weigh? I've no idea of a good benchmark.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed. Have already started some preliminary planning for 2011.

Dreggsy - great idea for a thread.

What does all the extra gear you carry weigh? I've no idea of a good benchmark.
No idea yet,
I haven't weighed it
plus it all depends on what time of year your going
If its the middle of summer your camping gear and extra clothes will vary (obviously)

Without water it shouldn't be more than 4kg.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone have any well documented routes? in NSW.
LOL.... nope, nothing I can give out as no-one I know has a GPS recording device.

It's just local knowledge at the moment, and that's all secret for now.
and we haven't done it yet.

I think somebody here is working on something but it hasn't been done yet.

stay tuned I suppose.

Matt Mead

Likes Bikes
LOL.... nope, nothing I can give out as no-one I know has a GPS recording device.

It's just local knowledge at the moment, and that's all secret for now.
and we haven't done it yet.

I think somebody here is working on something but it hasn't been done yet.

stay tuned I suppose.

Hahha i knew someone would say that. Im keen to give it ago but dont know where to go haha.

Much easyer touring on a roadie. Roads are well documented haha.

m_g

Likes Dirt
ohh yeah-nice thread...

me and and a mate are trying to organise an overnight/2/3 night trip through the barrington tops once the 24 solo champs are over in october...I've got as far as buying the topo and national parks maps :)thats it though...

if anyone else is keen on doing it, would be sweet to work together on a plan

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Provided I enjoy doing (and there is no reason I won't), I plan on getting one of these:
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair/product

Hahha i knew someone would say that. Im keen to give it ago but dont know where to go haha. Much easyer touring on a roadie. Roads are well documented haha.
Very true. I plan on doing this tour sometime round october. I'll try and modify it for more dirt roads but I think it will be enjoyable for the scenery.
http://www.cycleaustralia.info/cycling/wollemi.htm

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
ohh yeah-nice thread...

me and and a mate are trying to organise an overnight/2/3 night trip through the barrington tops once the 24 solo champs are over in october...I've got as far as buying the topo and national parks maps :)thats it though...

if anyone else is keen on doing it, would be sweet to work together on a plan
13 and I were looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tops_to_Myall_Heritage_Trail as an option for a weekend ride. I don't have any info as to how the trail would ride, I would be expecting to do some hike a biking but that is par for the course when exploring.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Not that I come at this with any great experience but...

Car windscreen reflective silver thingy
inflateable pillow
Take a space blanket, and use your pack and or dry bag stuffed with whatever you can and/or are not wearing

orikaso foldable bowl / cup $30. http://www.hiking.com.au/search.asp?Keywords=orikaso
MSR + Gas + lighter/matches in a water proof container.
Taking a pot to cook with? ditch the bowl
Take some purification tablets *just in case* or you might even need a filter/steripen or something

You can see my sleeping bag is pretty big I really need to get a smaller one.
I'm about to sink a seriously large amount of dosch to achieve this unfortunately...

Hahha i knew someone would say that. Im keen to give it ago but dont know where to go haha.
That's half the fun in the challenge! pouring over topo maps and guide books....

Try looking at the Bicentennial trail. Well documented, and will run you through barrington tops!

Cheers
Spoonie

DaGonz

Eats Squid
These look the goods...thinking about getting one for some overnighters. http://www.freeload.co.nz/pages/13/Products
Yeah I've got one on test at the moment

http://spoonboy.solonutter.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG00065-20100606-1120.jpg

Will be doing a full review for one of the mags. The Dirt Works supported rider in me says yes get'em they're tops. But they have their pros and cons. For pure light weight and simplicity, I'd say a revelate or carousel designs Seat Bag might be better (again, coming at this without any real experience :). Depends on the length of the ride you're doing really. My experience with it so far has been really good though. You can put up to 25k'gs and a much bigger dry bag on the top of a freeload than you can with a seat bag.

Just don't lose the little green release key...

I may have missed the boat in getting a bag or two from revelate before my ride in Sept...

Cheers
Spoonie

speshrider

Likes Bikes
Yeah I've got one on test at the moment

http://spoonboy.solonutter.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG00065-20100606-1120.jpg

Will be doing a full review for one of the mags. The Dirt Works supported rider in me says yes get'em they're tops. But they have their pros and cons. For pure light weight and simplicity, I'd say a revelate or carousel designs Seat Bag might be better (again, coming at this without any real experience :). Depends on the length of the ride you're doing really. My experience with it so far has been really good though. You can put up to 25k'gs and a much bigger dry bag on the top of a freeload than you can with a seat bag.

Just don't lose the little green release key...

I may have missed the boat in getting a bag or two from revelate before my ride in Sept...

Cheers
Spoonie
Looking forward to reviews....Like mentioned by others before, i am also looking forward to doing some MTB touring after the worlds.
It would be nice if there was an event similar to the kiwi-brevet in Australia, BNT would be perfect for that, i have ridden a bit of it and it is great for MTB touring :)

SSDave

Likes Dirt
I've done a few of these trips with friends and the kids. A couple of trips in the Snowy Mountains and a shorter one in the Morton National Park. Always have to pack more gear when you are taking 10 year olds on multi night trips.

Attachments

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
For those that have the Ride the Divide DVD there is a special feature in which Matthew Lee goes through his set-up... Now there's a dude who has things down... He packs's REAL light and essentially says to pack for a very long day trip... Might not be possible in these here parts with ammenities few and far between but it's worth a look. One thing I noticed on these self supported type races - 29er are almost de riguer and the tyre of choice - WTB Nano's...

As far as trips go, I remember vaguely someone doing a trip down to Yerranderie which would probably be a great 2/3 dayer...

Would love to get in this o'nighter thing but think the inital outlay might be a bit high... I would certainly pony up for some Revelate Designs gear but just thinking how it could serve double purposes... like for commuting perhaps... mmmm....

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Would love to get in this o'nighter thing but think the inital outlay might be a bit high... I would certainly pony up for some Revelate Designs gear but just thinking how it could serve double purposes... like for commuting perhaps... mmmm....
I think it's a lot more accessible than that. A freeload would allow you to strap anything you could fit into a dry bag on for not too much of a weight penalty that. You can get awefully creative about what else you strap where (under your handlebars & stem makes a great spot for a bed roll or smaller dry bag without really needing a handlebar bag) over and above that, you could plan your routes such that pubs and other suitable locations are available mid route. Pick your time of year and things like tents, sleeping bags and the like become inherently simpler

There's a bunch of us doing a self supported ride in a couple of weeks. 2 pretty long days but Staying in Cabins mid ride...

Matt Lee styling "Plan for a long day ride plus a bit extra" is all good and well but as someone said, the TDR seems to have a lot of facilities accessible. That and he knows every nook and cranny. Though having said that, I'm planning a ride in Sept and debating on if I can get away without a stove, and I have an uber light one already!!

*shrug*

I don't even seem interested in events this year where I would have in years prior. This whole planning equipment and routes with what I have and/or what I should get has been a lot of fun so far!

Cheers
Spoonie