The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Thanks Elbo, enjoyed reading your trip report and photos. I cannot believe ive just found this thread, looking forward to going over from the start!

I havent done any bike camping trips away from a motor vehicle but id love to give it a go, i have all the gear from backpacking but id have to work out how to haul it on a bike, guess ill pickup that sort of info up the more i read.

Travis.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
No worries Travis. Glad to hear you've found the thread, there's a lot of good info here going back many years and some good ideas for working out trips and gear tips and tricks.

The Easter ride I just did was one of the first trips I've done in a long time. It took me ages to come around to the idea I could just go and try it out and learn from that, rather than fretting over having the right gear or having everything sorted. I would say, just go for it. Pick a campsite, plan an out-and-back overnighter and do it. I learnt so much from the trip a few weeks ago, but I wouldn't have known what would work and what wouldn't if I didn't just go and do it.

I found a rack and rear panniers worked for me, but I'm on more of a CX/gravel bike. A lot of the guys on the trip had frame bags and a lot had very ghetto set ups, but setups that worked great.

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
Can anyone tell me about the condition of Bobeyan Road, heading south out of Canberra?
Plotting a route from Sydney to Albury to ride with some friends, trying to avoid major highways like the Monaro Hwy, but also trying to avoid corrugated super steep dirt roads, as we'll be on CX/city touring bikes.
The bobyan road is fine. You can drive a 2wd on it so a cx bike should be ok i guess there is dirt and its steep in some parts and not super smòoth. I remember the corragations on the nsw side being pretty rough but thats one reason why i use a mtb for bikepacking.

Elbo

The bobyan road is fine. You can drive a 2wd on it so a cx bike should be ok i guess there is dirt and its steep in some parts and not super smòoth. I remember the corragations on the nsw side being pretty rough but thats one reason why i use a mtb for bikepacking.
OK cool, thanks for the info mate!

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Great that youve kept this thread alive. This is my next dream to ride a long trip. I will watch this again with interest.

Well done

Patio

Likes Bikes
I'm glad too this thread is still going. I've been watching for a while now but probably fall into the camp of worrying have I got the right gear so haven't got out there bikepacking yet :fear:

I've got a few house reno's to finish at the moment and then think like Elbo I've just got to give it a crack with what I've got and learn on the road.

jubaeg

Cannon Fodder
Thanks for the writeup Elbo. Sounds amazing, and echoing everyone else's comments, glad that there is life left in the forum.

Elbo

I read this article recently which others might find useful and motivating. While it's written about long distance touring, I think the same principles apply to the shorter out and back bikepacking stuff.

http://adventure-journal.com/2016/03/how-to-cycle-around-the-world-in-3-easy-steps/

On another note, I caught up with some of the friends I made on the Easter Overnighter trip we did a few weeks ago and we are planning to ride from Sydney to Albury at the end of April. One of the girls is inbetween jobs and I didn't have many shifts, so we thought we'd go for it. Still mapping out a route, but looks like Bundanoon > Canberra > Adaminaby > Talbingo/Tumbarumba > Albury, with a rest day/hiking day in between.

Last edited:

Elbo

Finishing packing tonight to do a mostly-on-road trip from Moss Vale to Albury. Should take 6-7 days with a rest day planned for a hike or just to chill at a good spot. While we don't get to say we rode from Sydney to Albury, giving up 100km of heavy traffic especially on the start of a long weekend is a good trade off in my mind.

There'll be 5-6 of us riding from Moss Vale to Canberra, then just 2 of us riding from Canberra to Albury, and a mate from Canberra might join us for a day, down to Adaminaby. I'll post up a report and pics when I get to Albury.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Finishing packing tonight to do a mostly-on-road trip from Moss Vale to Albury. Should take 6-7 days with a rest day planned for a hike or just to chill at a good spot. While we don't get to say we rode from Sydney to Albury, giving up 100km of heavy traffic especially on the start of a long weekend is a good trade off in my mind.

There'll be 5-6 of us riding from Moss Vale to Canberra, then just 2 of us riding from Canberra to Albury, and a mate from Canberra might join us for a day, down to Adaminaby. I'll post up a report and pics when I get to Albury.

Have fun. Look forward to the trip report

Benny Storer

Likes Bikes
Sub24 bikepacking missions

13015250_10153927074076311_2077973739779594609_n.jpg

Have been knocking out a steady stream of sub24 bikepacking missions of late. Ultralight style with mountain huts or shelters being the destinations of choice.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have been knocking out a steady stream of sub24 bikepacking missions of late. Ultralight style with mountain huts or shelters being the destinations of choice.
Nice light setup. I also would be interested in reading some reports.
In other news, I finally got around to finishing off my ride report for my ride from Moss Vale to Albury last month. Some pics and words can be found here: http://www.eliotvb.com/ride-reports/2016/6/6/moss-vale-to-albury
Will post a copy on here for posterity's sake, but will be a while getting all the formatting right.
Excellent report. Looks like a good trip through some nice country. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Cheers,
CBG.

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
+1!

In other news, I finally got around to finishing off my ride report for my ride from Moss Vale to Albury last month. Some pics and words can be found here: http://www.eliotvb.com/ride-reports/2016/6/6/moss-vale-to-albury
Will post a copy on here for posterity's sake, but will be a while getting all the formatting right.

Thanks for a great write up- really inspires me to get out on some longer rides. I could have been a bit more informative about the Bobyan road sorry-

That right hand turn you didn't take sounds like the old Bobyan road and is not a bad option- it comes back onto the new road and avoids the big climb, although its a bit more rolly.

Actually my favorite way is through the upper cotter/Yaouk gap- its a bit longer, but no cars to bug you. It would also be pretty hard on loaded up CX bikes.

Benny Storer

Likes Bikes
Can't really give too much detail on the routes I've been knocking out as the destinations are well kept secrets.. The location of mountain huts in Tasmania isn't something we publically discuss. ...but find a local willing to show you the way and wow, cool winter digs:

13061954_10153925925331311_1746695174527620615_n.jpg

Some of the 'roads' to these spots can be a little rugged:

11863454_10153466204711311_3679387445899717963_n.jpg

I'm off again this coming weekend, next destination is a little less secret, Moorina Bay, Bruny Island: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14213844 Route is a little gnarly in places and it'll be bloody wet after the rain of the past few days. Think I'll take the Cotic Simple.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking forward to nestling into these latest reports tonight guys, keep the adventures coming!

Elbo

Can't really give too much detail on the routes I've been knocking out as the destinations are well kept secrets.. The location of mountain huts in Tasmania isn't something we publically discuss. ...but find a local willing to show you the way and wow, cool winter digs
Nice pics Benny! Looks like a mudfest in the 2nd pic.

Heads up for anyone after a tent suitable for bike camping. Big W have these 2 person, 1.4kg tents for $12. Probably not amazing quality but good enough to get you out in the bush with your bike.
FullSizeRender.jpg

ers

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, just brainstorming, but yes having mentioned removalist's using felt blankets FatGuts.. I remember the big ass heavy blanket used when moving my folks piano. The Mongol idea might work better with camels and carts to do the heavy lifting.

CBG, I would definitely go for down over synthetic. I went to the outdoor store to check them out - pack size is excellent in the higher lift downs. Given that winter's on the way out, I might hold off and buy a decent down bag next year. I'll be able to get away with very little over summer anyway I think.
Cheers,
Elbo
Hi
I know it's not budget friendly but just to show the technology is there
https://www.rei.com/product/847651/kelty-ignite-down-16-sleeping-bag
Got it
Love it
Packs down small

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
So its been a while.......

So it has been a while since I was on here. I sent the link to a mate of mine as he is planning to do some overnight stuff and a bigger trip.

I started to read the whole thing again, jeez its a good thread.

Anyway, a couple of mates and I jumped on our bikes last year and headed off into the wild blue yonder, not technically "bikebacking" but you get that.

Have a read, ask any questions you like:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=15839&v=Cs