The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Spoon Handle Harness MkIII

After some playing, thinking, and a lot of web searching, I've ended up with this (dodgy Crackberry photos)

Basically, two sea to summit straps, two buckles, a thermarest "Trek & Travel" Stuff sack and some high density foam.

Will hopefully fix a few issues with previous attempts, like the buckles failing on the cheap annaconda straps I had, and the bag rubbing on the tyre. I specifically went looking for a stuff sack with a diameter that matched the head tube. The thermarest stuff sack is meant for a thermarest so it's long and thin. Locking the straps onto the bar helps get the thing on and off eaasier too. you're not trying to hold the bag while getting the straps sorted.

I have my Tent, mattress and some clothes in there so a reasonable amount of stuff. I couldn't quite fit my sleeping bag in there ( but might try again). With it is as it is, you can open the draw string and pull stuff out while it's still mounted, or just unclip and empty it that way. Basically filled it with stuff on the bottom (tent) isn't likely to want to come out before the stuff on the top (mattress and clothes)

Test ride next weekend but given previous experience I think this iteration should be fine :)

all up, cost was about $40. More if you coun't the various bags, straps, and foam I bought to get it right.

anyway, just thought I'd share.

Cheers
Spoonie

Attachments

Last edited:

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Nice work. You could add a few rubber bands as added security with no weight penalty. Keep us informed on how the testing goes. The map holder looks like a simple and usable solution as well.

What sleeping bag are you using? I'd have thought it would get mighty cold doing the CAN-NEWC trip in September.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
What sleeping bag are you using? I'd have thought it would get mighty cold doing the CAN-NEWC trip in September.
Yeah... I'm somewhat hoping for a "mild" week. I've bought a Western Mountaineering Summerlite bag, which despite the name is quite a warm bag (0deg). at a claimed 525grams total weight too... By the time you wear everything you have on top of that ( I bought a down vest and have some HH polypro thermals too), I hope to push it to the low negatives ok. Tested it at the 12hr overnight and it went ok despite ice forming on the cars, so we'll see...

The Summerlite has the advantage of continous baffles so you can shake the down about too which can help. I toss and turn so much in my sleep though that I don't think pushing all the down to one side or the other will help much :)

I have a wee plastic zip lock bag for the map holder that velcroes on. Not big enough for maps but you can put cue sheets in it and works fine. I tested it during the C2C200 like that. Maps will fit on top folded up and may get some big rubber bands looped over the top for that purpose.

what you don't see is the velcro patch and cable tie holes for my light. mounts on underneath so for a trip like the CanNew I can either take two batteries or a charger. Still debating that actually as I have my Princeton Tech head torch on my helmet. I'm not sure how much night riding I'm actually likely to do. C2C200 we had 3 or so hours each day which is why I set that up. I have 11hrs of daylight when I leave so as long as I head out just on dawn and make good time of it, I should get a reasonable amount of work done...

Depends on if my frame bag arrives on time I think :)

Cheers
Spoonie

DaGonz

Eats Squid
BNT Guide Books & Riding the BNT

Well, my guide books arrived yesterday, I also had a good long chat with one of the BNT co-ordinators for ACT/NSW. Sounds like riding up the BNT at the moment is a bit patchey but would seem from Kozzi up to Aberdeen certainly not a problem. I'm tipping that as a 6 day ride pushing the pace a little.

Anyway, Guide Books 9 & 10 at least ( the latest revs ) are pretty good. They're a A5 format ring bounded book in 20-30km sections. On one side is a topo, the other cue sheets for both N-S and S-N travel. If you're planning on riding the BNT it's worth speaking to the various co-ordinators I think. Seems like there's constant issues they're battling with various sections...

Also worth joining and getting the guide books :) Doesn't sound like many people choose to ride the BNT by bike...

Cheers
Spoonie - wondering if we can now justify a BikePacking subforum

WildWassa

Banned
Well, my guide books arrived yesterday, I also had a good long chat with one of the BNT co-ordinators for ACT/NSW. Sounds like riding up the BNT at the moment is a bit patchy but would seem from Kozzi up to Aberdeen certainly not a problem.

Anyway, Guide Books 9 & 10 at least ( the latest revs ) are pretty good. They're a A5 format ring bounded book in 20-30km sections. On one side is a topo, the other cue sheets for both N-S and S-N travel. If you're planning on riding the BNT it's worth speaking to the various co-ordinators I think. Seems like there's constant issues they're battling with various sections...

Doesn't sound like many people choose to ride the BNT by bike...

My name is Warren Hudson. I'm one of the coordinators of the BNT. I live in Canberra ... I'm a MTB/off-road tourer. I'm not a horse person. I know much of the trail in NSW and in the ACT. I've been riding and walking the BNT from when it was originally called the National Horse Trail.

Concerning those who have ridden the BNT on MTBs, their names and the sections that they have ridden, have been published in the August 2010 issue of the BNT Tracks magazine. If there is a section of track you're particularly interested in? ... if I don't know about it concerning riding it as a bike rider, or the regional coordinators don't know ... I'll let you know who has ridden it. If you join the BNT Association, BNT Tracks magazine is posted to you as part of your Association Membership.

When the notes to MTB riders were published on the BNT site, it was considered that many people weren't interested in the hardship of following the National Horse Trail, totally and faithfully, or able to negotiate the rivers or have the time to spend in portage and playing hike-a-bike ... but there are some hardier MTB/pack-raft tourers out there. Visiting the Pack Raft Forum is a good place to start, if you want to attempt to stay faithful to the living trail. A light-weight bullet-proof pack raft is essential after the heaviest rains this winter past for the last 38 years, have fallen on much of the Great Dividing Range ... particularly in Northern NSW. At Rocky Creek Junction the Macleay was 200 metres wide. In the Australian Alps the precipitation has been absolutely extraordinary. They will be very good water here on the trail for yonks.

If you have any of the editions of the series of the BNT Guide Books, the latest-of-the-latest updates have just recently been posted on the BNT site, found in the section DOWNLOADS.

See you on the BNT or send me a note at any time ... hudson@actewagl.net.au ... and I'll phone you back.

Warren.

Last edited:

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Concerning those who have ridden the BNT on MTBs, their names and the sections that they have ridden, have been published in the August 2010 issue of the BNT Tracks magazine..
Don't think I'll be on that list somehow :) (don't think I've got my copy either, maybe the one I got in my membership pack... )

I can say the section between Jenolan and Hampton "Needs work" or at least a reasonable detour. I think there is one looking at the maps that I'm surprised isn't in the book, taking the Jenolan river fire trail along the river rather than trying to bash your way through "overgrown single track". Judging by google maps et al.. it links up with the main trail a little later on. The Guide book was also a bit misleading there in that I went looking for the trail 100m to the east only to discover it straight ahead. After a while I gave up and bush bashed west and along the not entirely legal but reasonably well groomed fire trail as the guide book seemed to allude to. There was also a section there that crossed under a highway that was complete and utter swampland when I attempted it.

Other than that, the trail I rode between Canberra and the turn off to Wollemi near kalgoola(?) was a tops ride, relatively straight forward dirt/fire road bashing and relatively easy to follow once you were out of Canberra. I have a long list of things I keep meaning to send through (like the turn off around "the crown" homstead near Capertee), but I only downloaded my photos to my laptop yesterday let alone write it up :)

More here

Cheers
Spoonie

QZ13

Likes Dirt
I got my new Mwahahaha frame bag. It's beyond rad. Tops work pi11

Nearly fits the pie warmer* and the generator

I reckon some dates for adventure will be discussed in the morrow.

*in accordance with SSPEU guidelines

WildWassa

Banned
Spoon Boy, G'day.

Your link is fantastic ... extremely cool. I could even see where you left the track for water.

The photos are enticing. Do let Joe Harding know what sections you have ridden. It is no small feat what you did, absolutely. The BNT Archive needs to know and certainly credit should go to you.

I'll also pass your comments and your posts and links to the other regional coordinators who are all pack-horse people.

On Google Earth the turnoff at the gate North of Mead Hill says Kelgoola but is actually Inglewood. Kelgoola is 3 kilometres futher East of Inglewood between Native Dog Hill and the Bin Ben Pinnacle. Google Earth has lots of issues, which I find most interesting, and I hope never changes.

As far as Jenolan to Hampton is concerned, the route is like elsewhere, it's flexible in State Forests. It is a shame that there are now bike restrictions on the Six Foot Track. I did the Six Foot Track and linked it to the BNT. On the 'Fat Hippy' site, I think that there is some stuff about the issues of riding on the Six Foot Track. I'll certainly pass what you found onto the BNT Secretary Joe H and to the coordinator of that section, Mal Keeley.

I'm pleased that you rode the BNT on the western and NW fringes of Canberra. Most advice is to take the cycle paths to cross the city. I hope you found it an interesting section, for this edge of suburbia? Mt Painter and the Pinnacle are beautiful and the native grasslands behind Dunlop are precious, just like the grasslands of Gundaroo. This NW section on the fringe of Canberra shouldn't be bypassed. Congratulations for being faithful to the BNT.

The Lake George Escarpment, through the unfenced paddocks of Lerida into the Swamp (the cattle chute under the highway) and along the Cullerin Range is beautiful grazing lands. I went up onto the Hume rather than cross the Swamp. No joke, it took me half an hour to cross the highway, both sides of the Hume were totally psycho. I should have put my feet up on the bars and just rolled through the Swamp.

When you mentioned camping, I guess the TSRs didn't marry with the distances you travelled each day? The TSR camp-sites are the historic camping locations for drovers, and separated by the distances that travelling stock can cover between water each day. On the TSRs travelling stock must keep moving, on the following day ... one of the rules of droving on the TSRs.

Here are some shots from the section, from Mount Painter to Mulligan's Flat then north to Gundaroo finishing above the old Hume Highway. I've included Yorkdale TSR which you didn't stop at (?), which is called Lerida TSR in GB#9. I rode this section from North to South, but you might appreciate these shots seen in the direction that you travelled.

Starting at Mount Painter.

Riding past Hardy's Vinyard (at Holt) looking towards the Brindabella Ranges and the Bimberi Wilderness.

The BNT vegetable slots, in the horse paddocks at Parkwood. The Bicentennial National Trail was originally called 'The National Horse Trail'.

The BNT now enters Mulligan's Flat. I'm not sure if the caveleties (the low horse rails) had been installed then, when you rode past Mulligan's Flat. The BNT is at the bottom of this hill.

If you ever find the time to ride in Mulligan's Flat, loop the Border Track to the Old Coach Road, then join the Schisstuss Ridge Track back to the ACT/NSW Border. This is a first class loop/ride straight off the BNT ... then the loop joins straight back onto the BNT.

A vertical slab hut, Annie's Hut(?) at Gundaroo.

Leaving town ... A Gundaroo signpost.

Many of the habitats along this section of the BNT are heritage listed; as Yellow Box Red Gum open woodlands or native grasslands like the Curly Mitchell Grass Kangaroo Grass association pasture below.

On the Lake George Escarpment above Towlong Swamp. The farm dams are full ...

... and Lake George has water in it, for the first time in about 12-14 years.

I like to explore the unformed roads on the Travelling Stock Routes and TSReserves that are the backbone of the BNT. The TSRs have the original vegetation of this country basically remaining untouched from before the white invasion of this continent. They are Australia's ribbons of genetic inheritance and first class camp-sites with water. The wildlife heavy TSRs will blow anyone away. The TSRs are a much under utilised resource by touring cyclists. The only issue here is having to contact LHPA Rangers for camping permission when ever you enter their regions and want to camp ... http://www.lhpa.org.au/contact

Next three images are of unformed roads on Yorkdale TSR.

The unfenced paddocks of Lerida. I notice on your GPS track when you went through the zig-zag at the cattle grid at Lerida, and headed towards the house on the hill? That slight error in guide book #9, is now fixed and appears in the amendments on the BNT site. When I saw your GPS track, I laughed ... because I did exactly the same thing.

I started this section of the BNT up on the Cullerin Range, close to the old Hume Highway. Reportedly this is the windiest place in NSW. The prevailing winds are north-westerlies and they were hammering when I made it up onto the range. In my neck of the bush the BNT is best ridden as a North to South route, for a very good reason.

Incoming green comet ... the Culerin Range.

When I was 8 kilometres downwind from these giant turbines, I could still hear them roaring. They are very noisy downwind. I don't think that I would like to live downwind of one. The Lerida section of the BNT is awesome for a bike ride on dirt through farm lands and grazing lands.

Warren

Last edited:

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Truly awesome pictures Warren. Some very beautiful countryside.
amazing, that has definitely fueled my desire to do some bikepacking.
Yeah much better than mine:

http://spoonboy.smugmug.com/Mountain-Biking/CanberraToNewcastle/

perhaps I just need more practice. Time to go do it again ;)

Seriously though folks, that section between canberra and lithgow is incredibly accessible, mostly open dirt roads and realatively straight forward fire trails. There are plenty of opportunities to camp, get water and even hot meals and accommodation every night.

If you ever thought going bikepacking would be worth a try, live in the area, and weren't sure what to tackle, grab the guide books and give that one a burl! The only problem is it stops short of my favourite bits north of lithgow ;) It would be between 2 and 5 days depending on fitness levels, weather and motivations. Plenty of small town diversions, pubs, alternate routes and other attractions that would be worthwhile too...

With recent rains, this side of full on summer might be an excellent time!

Cheers
Spoonie

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Your link is fantastic ... extremely cool. I could even see where you left the track for water.
Or probably more likely, got lost, wasn't sure of the turn ;)

I'll also pass your comments and your posts and links to the other regional coordinators who are all pack-horse people.
Yeah I'll put together a more formal email at some point I think. I'd like to see that section with reasonable MTB alternates grow a bit. For the most part, it was all really accessible and straight forward though.

On Google Earth the turnoff at the gate North of Mead Hill says Kelgoola but is actually Inglewood. Kelgoola is 3 kilometres futher East of Inglewood between Native Dog Hill and the Bin Ben Pinnacle. Google Earth has lots of issues, which I find most interesting.
Yeah I worked that out ;) also I found a lot of topo's don't even match reality anymore. Disconcerting when you're looking for minor turnoffs that seem to have vanished, or new ones created.

I'm pleased that you rode the BNT on the western and NW fringes of Canberra. Most advice is to take the cycle paths to cross the city. I hope you found it an interesting section, for this edge of suburbia?
You were right about it being nice. not sure I'd go out of my way to do it again, or at least I'd look more closely at the higher grained maps. I found some sections confusing, and some just not worth it. the Development around Dunlop and Casey etc... impinged progress somewhat with quite a few w.t.f moments (there are two Horse Park Drives, or the current one doesn't join up yet!)

No joke, it took me half an hour to cross the highway, both sides of the Hume were totally psycho. I should have put my feet up on the bars and just rolled through the Swamp.
Yeah I had a quiter time of it. I can imagine it being pretty hectic though

When you mentioned camping, I guess the TSRs didn't marry with the distances you travelled each day?
No not really. I considered a couple... I rolled past a couple and decided I should go elsewhere. Water requirements were an issue for me, making sure I camped somewhere with water which most TSR's did not. I spoke to the LHPA guys before hand though. The one I would use in future is possibly the Taralga one. Then again it also has a pub ;) If I was pushing the pace harder, I might consider more. Crashing in a TSR just outside or before a town. I remember the Lerida one though I think 'cause it was on the inside corner of a turn I'm sure...

Anyway, I plan to go ride the Jenolan sections again over the summer to retrace some alternates, and probably back on the route through to newcastle again sometime around August next year I think.

Cheers
Spoonie

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Seriously though folks, that section between canberra and lithgow is incredibly accessible, mostly open dirt roads and realatively straight forward fire trails. There are plenty of opportunities to camp, get water and even hot meals and accommodation every night.

Cheers
Spoonie
I'm going to get one of these http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/R7BCCNNBC/title/route-7-bike-carry-bag (for the bus trip to Canberra) and fingers crossed that Santa brings me a Garmin for Xmas and this is exactly what I intend to do.

droctagon

Likes Dirt
Excellent post-production on those images...

Thanks WildWassa, i have to second that your photography is truly inspiring, it really makes such a massive difference when you spend a bit of time in photoshop & you know what your doing. Makes a good photo great. Makes me want to grab the gear and get pedalling.