the sad demise of old dh bikes

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try entering a Victorian race 30 minutes after registration opens. You’ll find yourself on a long wait list.
Too right on that one! Such a struggle to enter races these days. Pretty much like festival tickets. If you're not prepared / ready when the tickets go live you aren't racing that round.

Almost seems like we need a Juniour VDHS... (I know the logistics of this would not work)
it's insane with 300+ riders, over an hour in line for shuttles and again to drop in at the top! And lucky to get in 6 runs the whole weekend

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They should come to WA and sample some sweet 900m downhill tracks for some perspective.

That’s horizontal distance by the way. Vertical about 1/9th of that.
There was some good tracks down south near Donnybrook/Bunbury somewhere I was taken too once.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
There was some good tracks down south near Donnybrook/Bunbury somewhere I was taken too once.
Yeah, the bigger downhill tracks are down that way. Still pretty short and limited drop compared to elsewhere.

I’m assuming, the only time I’ve ever ridden when travelling out of state or OS was in Austria.

moorey

call me Mia
Almost seems like we need a Juniour VDHS... (I know the logistics of this would not work)
it's insane with 300+ riders, over an hour in line for shuttles and again to drop in at the top! And lucky to get in 6 runs the whole weekend
Careful what you wish for.
Next year the GE nats run over 2 weekends. One for juniors, one for seniors. What a clusterfuck for families coming from around the country with a mix.
At Nationals, all they need to do is allocate points to rounds throughout the year like the National Cup was supposed to. You should need to have some results or at least proper race experience to be eligible to enter. Gronk kids who’ve never raced, currently swamp the rego the second it opens, and lots of top riders with lives and jobs miss out when it sells out in minutes.
I’m all for having a go, but AusCycling is a joke, and they DGAF about MTB whatever, but particularly DH/GE

jrewing

Eats Squid
Careful what you wish for.
Next year the GE nats run over 2 weekends. One for juniors, one for seniors. What a clusterfuck for families coming from around the country with a mix.
At Nationals, all they need to do is allocate points to rounds throughout the year like the National Cup was supposed to. You should need to have some results or at least proper race experience to be eligible to enter. Gronk kids who’ve never raced, currently swamp the rego the second it opens, and lots of top riders with lives and jobs miss out when it sells out in minutes.
I’m all for having a go, but AusCycling is a joke, and they DGAF about MTB whatever, but particularly DH/GE
I reckon recession will slow those numbers down.
Let’s see if the 449 dollar entry fee for cannonball festival does too. Madness

moorey

call me Mia
I reckon recession will slow those numbers down.
Let’s see if the 449 dollar entry fee for cannonball festival does too. Madness
That includes a week of chair lifts and entry into 4 events. Or you can opt for just DH with 2 days of uplift for more like $200. It’s actually better than a lot of events, that then make you add expensive shuttles.
Entry fee is the cheapest part an event.
Vic events aren’t going to slow down any time soon.

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
DH and pumptrack for me. Bought a lift day on Thursday as runs will be limited Friday Saturday. Better value that way and I have no desire for the AM/XC race.

moorey

call me Mia
DH and pumptrack for me. Bought a lift day on Thursday as runs will be limited Friday Saturday. Better value that way and I have no desire for the AM/XC race.
Yeah, we’ll be up there for Thursday practice, so will buy lift tickets for that day. We’ve never been there, so we’ll need a few sighters. From all accounts, it’s a brutal track. Anyone there practicing all week will probably blow up by race day if they’re not careful.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Yeah, we’ll be up there for Thursday practice, so will buy lift tickets for that day. We’ve never been there, so we’ll need a few sighters. From all accounts, it’s a brutal track. Anyone there practicing all week will probably blow up by race day if they’re not careful.
Rims will blow up haha. Bring spares. Don’t skimp on air pressure. False economy that is.