the sad demise of old dh bikes

nathanm

Eats Squid
So we all know the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result. Well I went and bought yet another old DH rig, despite losing around $1k in the past 12 months trying to resurrect old clunkers that were terminal. This time its a 2006 Giant Faith 2, that was a barn find and had been sitting in a shed for 3 years.

She's faded, dusty and home to 3 generations of redback spiders. It would have been great to pump a couple of hundred into it and return it to its former glory but sadly it's going to be raided for parts as it is worth more individually than as a whole and there's no real call for this mid-school classics.

It does make me lament though that these bikes we once coveted and saw our favourite riders do insane things on down steep hills are now worth less than a bottle of bourbon and a pack of winnie blues. Although with their weight and cost of scrap metal I may actually have a fortune sitting in my garage.

Screenshot_20221110_125721.jpg

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
do a mullet conversion to slacken it out a tad, might be somewhat ridable...or go full gonzo and stich a 29er on the front

nathanm

Eats Squid
If you like the bike, what does the value of the parts matter?
I guess I'm just being a grumpy old man but it's more that they are still perfectly serviceable bikes that deserve to be ridden.
I just see it as a shame they are worth more as scrap metal as no one wants to ride anything pre 2018.
Mid covid it probably would have sold for $1k

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I guess I'm just being a grumpy old man but it's more that they are still perfectly serviceable bikes that deserve to be ridden.
Serious question: is it actually rideable though?

I think you can make a serious case for a 10 year + old XC bike given they're naturally pretty efficient things and will always be at home on mellow flow trails, old skool narrow singletrack and firetrails. Even commuting they're a great option. But a similar age DH bike? Presumably a boat anchor to pedal and outshone by even a middling mid travel reasonably modern anything on literally any descent if you're on the taller side given they're all tiny.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it seems that unless they can be made to pedal well there's many good reasons why they're no longer coveted.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I just see it as a shame they are worth more as scrap metal as no one wants to ride anything pre 2018.
Mid covid it probably would have sold for $1k
I do see where you are coming from but time moves on and every season something new will pop up. 'New' isn't 'new' for long.
Newer bikes are definitely more capable and feel well put together but I don't always need that anyhow.

Just keep it simple, if *you* like to ride then ride it. It all doesn't matter that much when you are out there amongst the trees.
Pissing contests are best kept for the carpark and cafe / brewery. It MTB'ing gets too hung up on what you ride then it is heading down an unfortunate path.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I owned one of these when they were new stock. I enjoyed it until a gasser stole it. I also recall seeing a very large muscly man ride one as an xc bike on the ourimbah trails over the years.

With some fucking around and cash dropped I reckon it could be made into a rideable option for a youngster. Angle set (head tube is 1.5), offset bushings, 165mm crank, 27.5 fork and wheel, shorter stroke/body rear shock, and air everywhere. Until the frame cracks from being a giant.

Mattyp

Cows go boing