The Photo Snob Thread

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
IPhone selfie would be a good spot to start.
As long as it was in focus, I reckon it would still be awesome. Why, you're in farkin Yosemite National Park....it has a Looney Tunes character named after it.:thumb:

Mr alpha, let me introduce you to Mrs Knuckles.....
No thanks Mr Knuckles, I have my own problems.....sorry, Mrs to worry about! Unless she can make a mean cheesecake, the introduction is useless.:laugh:

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Tristan hows the Hasselblad coming along?
Started getting my film back from Tasmania. Thankyou for the recommendation for rdfl.com.au ... they did an awesome job! I also now highly recommend for anyone developing any sort of film in anywhere to use them!

heavyp

You heard it here first
Tristan hows the Hasselblad coming along?
Started getting my film back from Tasmania. Thankyou for the recommendation for rdfl.com.au ... they did an awesome job! I also now highly recommend for anyone developing any sort of film in anywhere to use them!
You should try these guys http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/ best lab in Australia after LabX shut down in Melbourne. Also try Chris at http://blanconegro.com.au/ dedicated independent B&W only developing lab.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Ok, so I brought some ebay Cokin P series filters...read not the genuine article. I'm wondering if there is any quality difference in "real" Cokin filters and the eBay rip offs. Looking at them I can't tell. I have only had one use of them and wasn't real happy with the results (the photographer, not the equipment), so can't give a definative answer myself.
Anyone have any experience with Cokin v eBay copies? And has anyone purchased a Lee Big Stopper? Would like some real world feedback on one of those. i.e. great at certain times of the day, colours are off or something.

Cheers

Hux

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Ok, so I brought some ebay Cokin P series filters...read not the genuine article. I'm wondering if there is any quality difference in "real" Cokin filters and the eBay rip offs. Looking at them I can't tell. I have only had one use of them and wasn't real happy with the results (the photographer, not the equipment), so can't give a definative answer myself.
Anyone have any experience with Cokin v eBay copies? And has anyone purchased a Lee Big Stopper? Would like some real world feedback on one of those. i.e. great at certain times of the day, colours are off or something.
Lee filters aren't available in the 84mm Cokin P-series size so you'll need the larger 100mm holder if you want to use the big stopper.
(ie. Lee Foundation Kit or Cokin Z-Pro).

Lee are expensive but flawless.

Colour casts are going to be the biggest drawback of cheaper filters. Cokin themselves tend to get a distinct magenta cast when stacked - can only imagine what the eBay jobs are going to be like. Personally, avoid at all costs.

Use of NDs and GNDs is going to be greatly dependant upon the lighting conditions and/or the desired effect you're going for.
GNDs are used to balance varied lighting within a scene where as NDs are typically used to allow for a longer shutter speed for blurring motion and the use of a wide aperture in brightly lit scenes.

12287303896_8a1f666662.jpg
2-stop ND.

I've got a B+W "Big Stopper" though it's a screw-in filter. I tend to avoid using it with my wider lenses on account of vignetting when stacked - functions perfectly with anything longer than 28mm (based upon Nikon FX).

5786137396_a79aaea6d0.jpg
30 second exposure using the B+W110 (10-stop ND).

Good luck!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Lee filters aren't available in the 84mm Cokin P-series size so you'll need the larger 100mm holder if you want to use the big stopper.
(ie. Lee Foundation Kit or Cokin Z-Pro).

Lee are expensive but flawless.

Colour casts are going to be the biggest drawback of cheaper filters. Cokin themselves tend to get a distinct magenta cast when stacked - can only imagine what the eBay jobs are going to be like. Personally, avoid at all costs.

Use of NDs and GNDs is going to be greatly dependant upon the lighting conditions and/or the desired effect you're going for.
GNDs are used to balance varied lighting within a scene where as NDs are typically used to allow for a longer shutter speed for blurring motion and the use of a wide aperture in brightly lit scenes.

View attachment 283778
2-stop ND.

I've got a B+W "Big Stopper" though it's a screw-in filter. I tend to avoid using it with my wider lenses on account of vignetting when stacked - functions perfectly with anything longer than 28mm (based upon Nikon FX).

View attachment 283777
30 second exposure using the B+W110 (10-stop ND).

Good luck!
Thanks Angus. What time of the day was the last one shot at? Both incredible!
I brought the ebay ones for the adaptors (for ALL of my lenses) and not the filters themselves. Funnily enough I got he ND's for free. My plan was to purchse some Cokin filters and use them.
I'm really wanting an ND10 but struggling to get Mrs Hux to approve the purchase. One day! lol

wombat

Lives in a hole
I've got the b+w as well; when I was buying in France it ended up being cheaper than the hoya I'd planned on.

It still thows a magenta cast but its mostly not too hard to fix in post. Only real problem is that it's pretty impossible to stack gnds with it and have them set properly.

Newts

Likes Dirt

Cheers

Hux
Ive been struggling with mine just to get the exposures close/correct - until Monday night and CraigS was using an app - to calculate exposure times - marvelous inventions
I find that it leaves a fair amount of blue in the shot, and being a novice on PS I struggle to bring back some colour.

Waiale'e Beach.jpg
Waiele'e Beach - North Shore (near Turtle Bay resort)
8 second exposure and boosted ISO (thinking 400)

Newts

Likes Dirt
Interesting. What app?
I loaded Long Exposure Calculator the app name is - LE Calculator (free)
It has allowances for quite a few different stops. Also has a timer with it as well.

I will definately be giving it a go this weekend

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Thanks Angus. What time of the day was the last one shot at? Both incredible!
I brought the ebay ones for the adaptors (for ALL of my lenses) and not the filters themselves. Funnily enough I got he ND's for free. My plan was to purchse some Cokin filters and use them.
I'm really wanting an ND10 but struggling to get Mrs Hux to approve the purchase. One day! lol
The beacon was shot at sunset.

If you ever plan on acquiring a wide angle lens of even just through the use of full frame, I'd recommend looking at the 100mm filters (ie. Lee Foundation Kit or Cokin Z-Pro) to avoid vignetting.

I only ever use my P-series stuff with my smaller lenses when travelling light (both the Nikon 28mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.4 are pretty small and with a step ring, there is little chance of catching the corners of the adaptor/filter holder).

Travelling light in this manner has somewhat gone out the window after purchasing this lens:-

1724403_10152378121983054_1924626963_n.jpg
Nikon 14-24 f/2.8

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
View attachment 283897
Waiele'e Beach - North Shore (near Turtle Bay resort)
8 second exposure and boosted ISO (thinking 400)
Looks a wee bit underexposed. Was this with a 'big stopper'? Should be able to correct colour etc quite a bit in PS

I made myself a chart that I laminated and kept in my kit bag for relative exposure times. The purchase of a smart phone has certainly made this sort of thing easier mind you. If your camera permits it, set your exposure increments for aperture, shutter speed and ISO to "full stop" intervals. Makes it easier to dial exposure back the required amount.

Big stoppers like the B+W 110 or the Hoya ND400 are awesome for travel - being able to make a famous land mark look deserted during broad daylight is a really cool little trick!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I'd recommend looking at the 100mm filters (ie. Lee Foundation Kit or Cokin Z-Pro) to avoid vignetting.
I am looking at the Lee Foundation kit with a Big Stopper. Sent Mrs Hux the link yesterday and she didn't say no......yet. lol I need faster triggers for Cairns first and then I'll get the Lee kit.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Newts

Likes Dirt
I am looking at the Lee Foundation kit with a Big Stopper. Sent Mrs Hux the link yesterday and she didn't say no......yet. lol I need faster triggers for Cairns first and then I'll get the Lee kit.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Did you try "I dont want anything for Valentines!!" and then send the link?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Did you try "I dont want anything for Valentines!!" and then send the link?
Done better than that.......spent the day today shopping for dresses and shoes with the wife for an up coming wedding. Huge brownie points I can cash in for............Lee kit? Lol