The Photo Snob Thread

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Shame about the cables, but hoorah, budget PW's.
Budget is the word. After looking into it a bit more, it seems none of their Plus range do High Speed Sync. With bother with PW's if they dont do that. Range is great, but I'm not walking further that 100m to adjust my flash/stand so I don't need distance.

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Nice. Both are sweet. Stitching done well and lens correction looks spot on. One thing i'd definitely recommend doing for the car shot is to paint out the bushes/leaves/rocks as they add nothing to the shot and are too underexposed to be of any use. And then click command + L (if on a Mac and in Photoshop) and drag the right hand pointer to the left. Then you'll be set.

And Ewan: Shit yeah.
Thanks for the tips Tristan :encouragement:

heavyp

You heard it here first
Just thought id share some film love. Its all I shoot I also develop myself which is a great feeling, Ive been lucky enough to do a fair bit of travel around australia this last month so here are some of my fav's which is hard as I've always found I hate looking at images ive taken but I think all photographers feel he same.

Scan-130116-0004.jpgScan-130216-0003.jpgScan-130217-0004.jpgScan-130217-0006.jpgScan-130218-0003.jpgScan-130218-0006.jpg

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
heavyp, nice one mate.

I shoot film as well, but just picked up my first serious digital camera in a while on a whim - bought a Fuji X100s in Japan about a week ago after seeing it in store. I was shooting a Leica M3 up until then.

I absolutely LOVE the X100s. Absolutely fantastic camera and the images are beautiful. It's got a few foibles, but all cameras do.

DSCF1187.jpg by benhew, on Flickr

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Sigma 30mm f1.4 - Sigma 35mm f1.4 or Canon 7D ??

So I'm tossing up between the Sigma 30mm f1.4 the new Sigma 35mm f1.4 or getting neither and upgrading my body to a 7D. The Canon 35mm f.14 is also an option but due to price and being reportedly no sharper than the Sigma 35mm I'm less inclined to get it.

Currently shooting on a Canon 400D, it does the job but is getting a little old and the noise handling at anything over ISO800 is horrible.

Pretty much the only lenses I use lately are my Canon 10-22mm & Canon 50mm f1.8 - Sigma 28-70 f2.8 rarely gets pulled out the bag.

Last edited:

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
So I'm tossing up between the Sigma 30mm f1.4 the new Sigma 35mm f1.4 or getting neither and upgrading my body to a 7D. The Canon 35mm f.14 is also an option but due to price and being reportedly no sharper than the Sigma 35mm I'm less inclined to get it.

Currently shooting on a Canon 400D, it does the job but is getting a little old and the noise handling at anything over ISO800 is horrible.

Pretty much the only lenses I use lately are my Canon 10-22mm & Canon 50mm f1.8 - Sigma 28-70 f2.8 rarely gets pulled out the bag.
400D to 7D wouldn't be worth it IMO. Getting a 5D2, however, would.

30's are a good lens, but are for crop body only. IMO sell your 10-22 and 28-70, get a 5d2 with a sigma 50 1.4 and 35 1.4 and a canon 85 1.8 and BOOM. Explosion.

FYI I would happily shoot at iso 3200 with my 5d2, and even 6400 with my mk3

Last edited:

brisneyland

Likes Dirt

30's are a good lens, but are for crop body only. IMO sell your 10-22 and 28-70, get a 5d2 with a sigma 50 1.4 and 35 1.4 and a canon 85 1.8 and BOOM. Explosion.

Of probably no help whatsoever, but I was seeing 6Ds with the 24-105 F4L for about $2200 equivalent in Tokyo...

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Callan said:

Brisneyland said:
Of probably no help whatsoever, but I was seeing 6Ds with the 24-105 F4L for about $2200 equivalent in Tokyo...
My bank account hates your opinions...

I think if I was moving towards a FF DSLR I'd go the 6D over the 5dmk2. Lighter, smaller, better iso handling, cheaper, added wifi is fucking cool.

That's going to be a lot of dough to fork out however - I'm not sure I have the skill or make enough / any income off photography to warrant the purchase.

heavyp

You heard it here first
My bank account hates your opinions...

I think if I was moving towards a FF DSLR I'd go the 6D over the 5dmk2. Lighter, smaller, better iso handling, cheaper, added wifi is fucking cool.

That's going to be a lot of dough to fork out however - I'm not sure I have the skill or make enough / any income off photography to warrant the purchase.
Yeah don'y upgrade to a 7d there awful for iso and who wants a 1.6 crop sensor in this day and age. 6d is great for pictures the new sensor has even better noise than the 5dmk3

If your shooting sports don't get a 5dmk2 the tracking is terrible, 5dmk3 rocks.

For lens i know what your saying about the sigma but its a sigma the quality control is bad and in the US if you get a dud you can just take it back to the shop and they'll give you a new one again and again until your happy, the Canon 35mm 1.4 is great the colours contrast sharpness all amazing but in saying that there is apparently a 35mm 1.4 mk2 in the pipeline.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Yeah don'y upgrade to a 7d there awful for iso and who wants a 1.6 crop sensor in this day and age. 6d is great for pictures the new sensor has even better noise than the 5dmk3

If your shooting sports don't get a 5dmk2 the tracking is terrible, 5dmk3 rocks.

For lens i know what your saying about the sigma but its a sigma the quality control is bad and in the US if you get a dud you can just take it back to the shop and they'll give you a new one again and again until your happy, the Canon 35mm 1.4 is great the colours contrast sharpness all amazing but in saying that there is apparently a 35mm 1.4 mk2 in the pipeline.
One thing that draws me to the Sigma 35mm over the Canon is this

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/usb.html

Its great to see Sigma going down this path with allowing users to have more control over tuning lenses. I've heard nothing but rave reviews from everyone who's used one too.

heavyp

You heard it here first
One thing that draws me to the Sigma 35mm over the Canon is this

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/usb.html

Its great to see Sigma going down this path with allowing users to have more control over tuning lenses. I've heard nothing but rave reviews from everyone who's used one too.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong its a good lens by the looks of things I've read the same reviews, but the quality control is not up there you could get a bad one its just hassle you don't expect to spend money on a lens for it to possibly be a dud and go through the process of getting a new one.

You can calibrate your lenses anyways I used to send mine away to canon but im pretty sure there a feature in the 5dmk3 that can do it also.

Ive just always used the same brand lens and bodys unless you are a filmer and can afford zeiss optics haha. I know a lot of surf photographers that used 7d's and because of the 1.6crop sensor bought a tokina 10-17 fisheye lens and the majority were always getting out in the water and getting error 99 which sent them in to undo the housing and take the batteries out just to do it up again swim out and the same thing happen again and again.

brindog

Likes Dirt
So who did go through with the Quiky Pro? Such a dope event. Today's barrels were incredible.

I went today, was so sick watching the pros get pitted in the barrels. Was defiantly action packed. Wish Parko won but o'well...
The crowed was massive as well. Quite a few good lookers around :lol:

Didn't really get any good surfing pics to far out for my 100-400mm to get shots I'm happy with.
Im in envy of the guys using the massive 800mm lens

heavyp

You heard it here first
I went today, was so sick watching the pros get pitted in the barrels. Was defiantly action packed. Wish Parko won but o'well...
The crowed was massive as well. Quite a few good lookers around :lol:

Didn't really get any good surfing pics to far out for my 100-400mm to get shots I'm happy with.
Im in envy of the guys using the massive 800mm lens
Don't be in evny there most likely 600mm f/4's not 800mm's, I bought mine in 2004 second hand for 11000 :loco: paid for its self quite quick thou something you can't do in the surf industry these day since in went digital and kids with 7d's are giving shots away for free and worst than that the companies ask for free shots and they know they can get free imaging by giving away product to the frothers.