The Photo Snob Thread

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Hey Snobs,

Just looking for some advice on film scanners - anyone had any experience with them? Looking at making the investment, any advice on what brands are superior/what are the most important features?

Cheers

PS Ango those shots of the fire at Harrietville are ace. Well done man!

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Friends,

my 40D has got a chronic issue that i'd love any of you to shed some light on. I've got some commercial stuff coming up and i need this body but fucked if i can work out why it doesn't work.

When I click the shutter, the mirror locks up and the camera shuts down. I need to pull the battery and restart to be able to use the camera again.

Really strange issue. Happens independent of lens, CF card or battery. Has anyone had a similar problem or know how to resolve it?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Nothing. It's got me completely stumped.
Humm. There were a number of issues with the 40D so it could be anything.

One issue surrounds faulty shutter release buttons though the fact your mirror flips up alright rules that one out.

The other related to faulty battery/lens connections though these would usually spit out error messages on the LCD.

Your shutter may have given out? Or at least the motor driving the shutter?

Apparently, there was an QC issue with these motors and excessive lubricant applied to the gears at the time of manufacture. With use, this lubricant would cause the phase switches in the mechanism to 'gum up' resulting in the freezing of mechanism.

If it's the above, Canon switched manufacturers of the shutter assembly/motors so a replacement unit should sort you out but you'll be up for a few hundred + time without your camera.

You're in Melbourne, yeah?

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Thanks for your help & detailed response Ango. Looks like it'll be a trip to Canon HQ for me.

I'm in Sydney and AFAIK they have a repair office in North Ryde...

... or maybe it's time to get something that can shoot HD video...

Andrew Benson

Likes Dirt
Hey guys went to Hakuba Japan recently for skiing, here is one of the photos I really liked from the trip, got plenty more just haven't exported.

Panorama

Hakuba Peak by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

Tell me what you think please!

I also do portrait photographs aswell guys, so if anyone is interested in getting portraits done give me a message!

.:Alan:.

Likes Dirt
cooool photo tristan.

Decided on selling my 40d and sigma 10mm fisheye, not sure what they're worth now, but pm me an offer if your interested.

And heres a picture

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
so, i tried taking some photos of the stars (first time trying), and saw something a bit strange.. had to zoom in heaps because its pretty small. does anyone know what it is?! is it just some sort of reflection in the lens? or something else.... :noidea: (sorry if this is the complete wrong place to post this)

anyway here it is. stars in the sky.JPG

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
so, i tried taking some photos of the stars (first time trying), and saw something a bit strange.. had to zoom in heaps because its pretty small. does anyone know what it is?! is it just some sort of reflection in the lens? or something else.... :noidea: (sorry if this is the complete wrong place to post this)

anyway here it is.
Looks to be a sensor issue to me. Hot pixels perhaps?

Craig! Epic dude, so much awesome!

I just have some more bikes

snip
Cheers Jason. Loving your shots of late. They just keep getting better.

Here's my first attempt to shoot some astro over Christmas with my 5DII through my old man's Celestron 9.25 telescope.
Orion Nebula

8471865688_a119ebcb0c_z.jpg