The Photo Snob Thread

Xplor

Likes Dirt
I want/need a new wide angle prime lens. My 50mm 1.8 is not wide enough, stupid crop :( . I was looking at the Sigma 1.4 or Canon 28mm... what do you guys think? Or would you recommend something else?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
My 50mm 1.8 is not wide enough, stupid crop :( ?
What is it for? General photography?

I'd definitely plug the EF 35 f/2 and the EF 28 f/1.8. Both great lenses and much more suitable focal lengths APS-C bodies.

The Sigma 30 f/1.4 is a good lens also but unlike the above Canon lenses, is not compatible with Full Frame and APS-H bodies (should you wish to further your photography into such formats).

If you ended up going for the Sigma, may be worth purchasing it locally and testing before you commit to buy. Even though it is predominatly interwebz hear say, the amount of users who claim to end up with duds is a little alarming. Better to be safe than sorry in either case.

Last edited:

Damienp

Likes Dirt
There is a little internet hubbub about the sigma but often it is easily fixed by a calibration from the importer who I think have centers in Major Cities (Certainly Melb or Syd) or if your body has MA you would be able to dial in yourself.

Testing the Sigma would be priority. The 35 would be a nice length on the crop.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
15260003.jpg

Was down at Mt Stromlo earlier this week for a few days riding, and ended up only taking the film camera along. Unfortunately, I was silly enough to forget that Ektachrome is slide film. So I shot three rolls (naturally), and had to cross-process all of them, as my camera store wasn't one of two in Sydney that can process slide film.

The colours are pretty damn violent, but I love the way the clouds and sky came out in this one.

And no, it wasn't taken with Hipstamatic, this is real cross-processing :tape:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Very cool Angus. Merry Christmas everyone, thankyou for another fantastic year!

I must be on Santas nice list...
You must be, I must be on the naughty list....I got Steve Jobs autobiography!:mmph:
Merry Christmas to you and to the rest of the snobs.:single_eye:

Reigner

Likes Bikes
Santa was nice and gave me .....

nikon35dx.jpg

.... to put onto my D5000.

I decided to put the large aperture of my new lens to test, favorite shot so far:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Want to see more of the Razorback.
The Razorback is such a great track Ango! I'll finish processing the rest of the photos in the next day or two and post up anymore I think are worthwhile, but here's one of the better landscapes of the ridge that I've processed so far.