The Photo Snob Thread

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
One from me, your thoughts? oh and excuse the compression

From the flood jam Fundraiser in beenleigh..
I like this shot, the colour especially.

Again, it's been a while since i've posted...

I actually didn't intend to get this shot, and the one I wanted I stuffed up during capture.

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Andrew, that's the Duck's Nuts mate, freekin awesome, so wild. Love it.
With the level everyone on here is posting, I can't wait for the next PAD. The standard is going through the roof.

Here's another one of mine from the weekend

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I actually didn't intend to get this shot, and the one I wanted I stuffed up during capture.
Radically rad. The sky is a tiny bit dark for my liking, especially nearer the top left corner, and it throws the balance of exposure between sky and ground out a little, but apart from that it's an awesome photo. Well captured. :)

On a separate note, if you haven't already, read THIS blog post by David Hobby.

"Know how to use your light. But do not elevate lighting -- or any other technique -- to a level such that it obscures what it really important about photography. Or you reduce the whole medium to a parlor trick." - David Hobby, Strobist.

NB: The following applies mainly to people photography. Landscapes, products, and riding photography, perhaps not so much...

Mr O. Smith has spoken about this in the past, and it's so important to remember; what's important in photography isn't how precisely you've lit your subject, or how perfectly you've composed your photo...it's about the importance of the subject itself and what you're trying to say by photographing that subject in the way you are. Sure, if you're aiming for a stock image to sell go for the perfect light and clinical look, but for most of us amateurs we want images that draw people in and really tell a story, and I think that's something we so often mislay with the idea of photographic technique.

Having said this though, if you can take a photo that's both technically brilliant as well as highly captivating, my hat goes off to you.

hotazell

Likes Dirt
Mr O. Smith has spoken about this in the past, and it's so important to remember; what's important in photography isn't how precisely you've lit your subject, or how perfectly you've composed your photo...it's about the importance of the subject itself and what you're trying to say by photographing that subject in the way you are. Sure, if you're aiming for a stock image to sell go for the perfect light and clinical look, but for most of us amateurs we want images that draw people in and really tell a story, and I think that's something we so often mislay with the idea of photographic technique.

Think this little bit of advice carries a few gems. Having been involved in many camera club comps a recurring comment is the picture should ALWAYS tell a story and as photographers we are there to capture that story. Even with the most advanced equipment you still need a eye for a story. Sometimes there just isn't a story but it is easy to slip into the clinical rut and just auto output pics. Maybe I'll be putting in some more thought next time I go out.

tu plang

knob
Kicking it in Huntington Beach, Orange County at the moment and taking a few snaps along the way. Also have a bunch from Death Valley but they will have to wait, too many to go through on the road.

c/c always welcome.

HB Pier at sunset

Was chilling on the pier when this guy starting doing his thing. He put on a show.

some more here (i'm editing on laptops with colour response that changes from washed out to blacked out in 30 degrees of viewing angle so I think some are a bit darker than I thought... have to reedit when i get home):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjamin-h/

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
I've been doing a little bit of 'event' shooting over the passed couple of weeks, mainly with the subject being cars. Here's a couple...

A little corolla and an r32. The 'rolla is amazing...

More @ www.flickr.com/drewrphoto.

-Drew.
Great shots mate!!!

That Rolla belongs to a mate of mine who is also very into photography- im sure he would love to see the shot you took of his rolla as i dont think he gets many good shots like yours when he's driving.

His website's are:

http://midnightmechanics.blogspot.com/
http://www.grantscottphotography.com/

and your right the car is pretty awesome, so awesome in fact that it'll be in an upcoming issue of HPI soon.

Cheers

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Tris, sweet as man, will keep it in the back of my mind for next time.

Tu plang, don't mind that third pic man, that guy is shredding!

alexx23

Likes Dirt
yes ewan, we remeber you. Your that guy drops an amazing photo on us every six months and leaves again :(

______

meh :

Dont really know what i was doing...

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
yes ewan, we remeber you. Your that guy drops an amazing photo on us every six months and leaves again :(

______

meh :

Dont really know what i was doing...
Alex, this is fantastic.

Simple, original, well thought out and, most importantly, incredibly effective.

Brilliant idea, and I think if this picture was landscape, and the car was pushed to the edges, it would make a really strong, bold image.

Did you model the concept off another photo or did you come up with it yourself?