The Photo Snob Thread

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys, Im looking for a wide angled lense for my Cannon EOS 500D, and wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions as to what lens i should buy? I will be mainly using the lens for sports photography and some landscape photos and i want the lens to be fairly wide. If you have any suggestions, thanks in advance.
Sigma 10-20 for bang for your buck! I use it, and I must say I love it, very versatile lens! I have used it for sport, and landscape and it works a treat for both, here are some samples just small :)

jackaroo

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice, im probably going to save up my money and buy a decent telephoto lens, in the descriptions for the Telephoto lenses it talks about been a autofocus lens does this mean the lens is full automatic or can i focus it manually as well?

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the advice, im probably going to save up my money and buy a decent telephoto lens, in the descriptions for the Telephoto lenses it talks about been a autofocus lens does this mean the lens is full automatic or can i focus it manually as well?
Auto focus means you can do both. If you buy a telephoto lens past around 200mm I have to say get some sort of image stabilizer or the lens will become quite useless. I never use mine on my 70-200, but using my 150-500 it would be near impossible to take a shot without IS. Just something to keep in mind :). There was a rather large discussion about this topic a few pages back (probably quite a few now!)

CraigS

Likes Dirt
One from me on Saturday. Haven't done any ride shots for a while, felt good to get the camera out with the bikes.

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sigma 10-20 for bang for your buck! I use it, and I must say I love it, very versatile lens! I have used it for sport, and landscape and it works a treat for both, here are some samples just small :)

Does anyone have thoughts about the CANON EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens - seems competitve with the new lower prices.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Does anyone have thoughts about the CANON EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens - seems competitve with the new lower prices.
For Canon APS-C, it's the best UWA. It's sharper than the Sigma (though from memory, not as sharp as the Tokina) and offers the least amount of distortion throughout the (slightly larger) zoom range.

The only thing holding it back is generally the price (which is why people opt for the Sig or Tokina) and variable aperture (though if you're using it for its intended purpose, it would be stopped down anyways). It's also EF-S meaning if you eventually want to step up to Full Frame or APS-H, then you'll need to pass it on though it will hold its value a lot better than both the third party options.

I personally have been using the Sigma 10-20mm for a few years now and love it. I've got the older 4-5.6 model which whilst optically slower, costs and weighs less, has a slightly less plastic feel to it and requires standard 77mm filters (as opposed to the larger, less obtainable and more expensive 82mm thread on the constant 3.5). Gives good results too :)

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
450 to 500 upgrade worth it?

I currently have a 450d which is awesome. I noticed the newer version of mine, the 500d shoots HD video. You reckon it would be worth upgrading purely on the basis that it can shoot video, if i wanted to give video a go? Are there any other major differences?

Keen to hear from anyone to see if the filming is any good, looks the goods after looking at some quick vids.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
If you buy a telephoto lens past around 200mm I have to say get some sort of image stabilizer or the lens will become quite useless.
Sorry Jase, have to disagree with you here. Photographers have been happily using non IS-equipped telephoto lenses beyond 200mm without image stabilizer for many years. It really is only a recent (and very welcome) addition to modern telephoto lenses.

For daylight usage, you should have enough light around to shoot 1/250th or faster which, on something like the 70-200 f/2.8 is enough to obtain sharp images without resorting to IS/VR etc. Image stabilization is handy when your shutter speed 'falls' below that of the reciprocal of your focal length (for example, 200mm = 1/200th).
So, in darker conditions, with my 70-200, I should be able to regain those few stops of shutter speed through the use of IS/VR. I hope that made sense :)

You also have to factor in the crop factor also when considering the above rule-of-thumb.

whitey89: I'd sooner look at something like the 60D which offers a bit more of an upgrade over the 500D.

Last edited:

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
whitey89: I'd sooner look at something like the 60D which offers a bit more of an upgrade over the 500D.
I hear what your saying Ango! I think the whole thing might be premature though...dont know if im "good enough" for the 60D yet :eek:

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry Jase, have to disagree with you here. Photographers have been happily using non IS-equipped telephoto lenses beyond 200mm without image stabilizer for many years. It really is only a recent (and very welcome) addition to modern telephoto lenses.

For daylight usage, you should have enough light around to shoot 1/250th or faster which, on something like the 70-200 f/2.8 is enough to obtain sharp images without resorting to IS/VR etc. Image stabilization is handy when your shutter speed 'falls' below that of the reciprocal of your focal length (for example, 200mm = 1/200th).
Depends, my 150-500 at 500mm shot at 1/500th can still produce a blur, especially without IS, I know it goes into super tele territory, but they get heavy and hard to hold past 300/400 odd

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Depends, my 150-500 at 500mm shot at 1/500th can still produce a blur, especially without IS, I know it goes into super tele territory, but they get heavy and hard to hold past 300/400 odd
Factoring in crop, you have yourself an 800mm lens so you'd naturally need to dial a shutter speed a little faster than 1/500th to reduce blur but I hear what you're saying mate. The combined weight and fact that the telephoto lenses amplify even the tiniest of movements certainly calls for IS etc.

I have taken some pictures recently and I thought I would share a few.

This one is what I believe to be an orb weaver spider.

And these two were taken as we drove past. Both were pretty badly exposed so I added a B&W and sepia filter. It made them better, but whether it made them good, some opinions would be appreciated.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Also make sure the zoom lockring is fairly tight, or else each time you point your camera down it will drop down with a fair amount of force. Lucky I learned that on a hire lens.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I finally got out last night for a stroll around our beautiful harbour city. I've been wanting do try some of these shots for a while now and seeing Andrew's Bridge shot the other day made me really got out of my way to get out of the house at the other end of the day to what I'm used to.