The Photo Snob Thread

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
The 7D was basically the upgrade from the 50D. I'll probably eat my words, but I don't think there will be a 60D release.

That's not what he's asking. Any camera with 8 megapixels or more can be blown up big and still look clear.
I would hope the 40D would blow up big and still be clear, that would be a downgrade if it didnt. And the 60D was a guess but you got the idea. Like anything the price i guess will drop but the sooner i buy the sooner i can enjoy :) I'm traking down a 7D as we speak and i found one $1880 from ebay, Brand new and Aus stock. It's pickup and cash on pickup, i have been quoted $2300 body only in camera shops, so im leaning towards this ebay sale. Anyone bought a camera from ebay claiming to have a store and be Aus stock? was it succesfull?

Drew.

Eats Squid
I would hope the 40D would blow up big and still be clear, that would be a downgrade if it didnt. And the 60D was a guess but you got the idea. Like anything the price i guess will drop but the sooner i buy the sooner i can enjoy :) I'm traking down a 7D as we speak and i found one $1880 from ebay, Brand new and Aus stock. It's pickup and cash on pickup, i have been quoted $2300 body only in camera shops, so im leaning towards this ebay sale. Anyone bought a camera from ebay claiming to have a store and be Aus stock? was it succesfull?
Man seriously, camera bodys are one of those things you just have to accept, because truth is, probably 12 months from bow new technology will be our and you will be able to pick up the same body for probably half of the price, they really become quite obselete; unlike lenses which generally hold their value better and don't get out dated so quickly.

On that note, I shoot with a 40d and hve found it great so far, even in terms of enlargement, even though I've only gone to a4.

Makker

Likes Bikes
Man seriously, camera bodys are one of those things you just have to accept, because truth is, probably 12 months from bow new technology will be our and you will be able to pick up the same body for probably half of the price, they really become quite obselete; unlike lenses which generally hold their value better and don't get out dated so quickly.

On that note, I shoot with a 40d and hve found it great so far, even in terms of enlargement, even though I've only gone to a4.
I used to have a 40D and have had posters blown up to A2 size regularly for the magazines and it still looks mint.
I've upgraded to the 7D now and while it's a great camera, having to convert every file to a dng before you can do any Photoshop tweaks is freaking annoying. And considering I'm using CS3, I doubt Adobe will even bother making a plug-in for anything less than CS4.
I can live in hope though.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
I used to have a 40D and have had posters blown up to A2 size regularly for the magazines and it still looks mint.
I've upgraded to the 7D now and while it's a great camera, having to convert every file to a dng before you can do any Photoshop tweaks is freaking annoying. And considering I'm using CS3, I doubt Adobe will even bother making a plug-in for anything less than CS4.
I can live in hope though.[/QUOTE

How come you need to convert them to DNG? what do they come of the camera as? wouldnt it be the same as all canon cameras?

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[
How come you need to convert them to DNG? what do they come of the camera as? wouldnt it be the same as all canon cameras?
It'd be Photoshop not reading the .RAW format, I assume they only made the .raw (.CR2 still?) plugin for CS4 and up.

Makker

Likes Bikes
Yeah you'd think so, but Canon decided to get all clever and have changed the way the 7D writes .CR2 files onto the memory card, so when you try and open the 7D .CR2 in Photoshop, you get an awesome message saying the request can't be completed because Photoshop doesn't recognise the file.
Apart from using DPP (and waiting five minutes per photo to be transferred as a TIFF into Photoshop), the only way around it is to use Adobe's DNG Converter 5.6, which is still only a beta version at this stage. DNG 5.5 doesn't recognise the files either.
Canon obviously never heard the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...
Karnige – CS4 doesn't read the .CR2 files yet either...

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahh Makker, thats a lol and a half. Mine was saying that when I get 450D, I just had to get a new raw image plug-in file, i'm sure you've looked into that, but just incase you haven't it might be your solution.

*EDIT* I've done some looking for you, have you tried this?
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4622

It cleams to have Raw updates and readability for 7D :)

*EDIT Again* Wait, shit, its for CS4 only, sorry, my bad. It may still work with CS3 though, worth ago if youve got the web usage to burn.

Sam.

Eats Squid
On the topic of the 7d, what an awesome little camera. Got to use it today to shoot some of the seasons biggest surf apparently.

Shots taken at Waimea Bay because Pipe was closing out due to the swell's sheer size, about 4 broken boards and a handful of rescues on the jetski made for some pretty epic photos, there were at least a dozen 1d+600 f/2.8s along the beach so I'd expect there would be some awesome photos coming out from today.

Here are a few of mine:

As many as 6 people drop into the waves at one time, this was fairly tame!

And proof that I'm not a liar:p

Sam.

Eats Squid
Ha thanks man, just found one of the crazy take offs. Not a particularly good photo, but those guys sure aren't afraid of dropping in on each other!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Yeah you'd think so, but Canon decided to get all clever and have changed the way the 7D writes .CR2 files onto the memory card, so when you try and open the 7D .CR2 in Photoshop, you get an awesome message saying the request can't be completed because Photoshop doesn't recognise the file.
Apart from using DPP (and waiting five minutes per photo to be transferred as a TIFF into Photoshop), the only way around it is to use Adobe's DNG Converter 5.6, which is still only a beta version at this stage. DNG 5.5 doesn't recognise the files either.
Canon obviously never heard the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...
Karnige – CS4 doesn't read the .CR2 files yet either...
It's no different with the 40D, and I dare say any other DSLR Raw shooting Canon camera.:(

Sam.

Eats Squid
Shittt, amazing photo, what settings where you using?
Taken with the 7d and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6

Exposure: 1/2500 sec Aperture: f/5.6 Focal Length: 400 mm ISO Speed: 640
My shutter speed did go up as high as 1/6400th though, depending on how much the light varied... which was quite a bit.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Sam, you're no liar.........but that must've been a quiet day! swell that size usually attracts the entire Nth Shore!:D

Sam.

Eats Squid
Sam, you're no liar.........but that must've been a quiet day! swell that size usually attracts the entire Nth Shore!:D
There were about 30 out there, infact a few of the locals who claimed to usually surf out there were sitting on the hill next to me saying that the surf was just too heavy!

freeride-freak

Likes Dirt
Hey guys got my flashed today, they are great so far but on the instructions it says the recivers/transmitters can support up to 1/500 - 1/1000 sec but i cant shoot with them at any speed above 1/160? what settings do i need to change on the flashes/camera to get the faster sync? they are cactus kf36 flashes, and the triggers are cactus V4's.

Any help would be great as i want to shoot some riding on friday.

Cheers!