The Photo Snob Thread

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
There's not much chance of you getting an SLR in without getting permission first. Don't ask me why, it's just the way it is.

But if you do want to get in with it, basically you will need a photo pass, and the easiest way to get it is to shoot for someone (like a publication). If you can't do that, find a way to get in touch with the band manager. Maybe go to their wesite, and find their contact details and email them, stating your intentions, to shoot the gig, and hope for the best. This method works for smaller bands, but I don't know how it would go with hilltop. Otherwise, contact the venue and try getting them to give you a pass.

If you do get in, Hilltop were running a no-flash, 3 song rule (pretty standard with bigger acts). No flash is understandable, but I hate the 3 song rule..

Anyway, if you want to get a better idea about it all, check out this forum:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=115

It's the performing arts talk section of POTN, plenty of advice in there, and you have plenty of time to read up.. If you haven't shot live music before, try and get some practice on other bands before Hilltop, and apply early for the photo pass. Hope this helps

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's not much chance of you getting an SLR in without getting permission first. Don't ask me why, it's just the way it is.

But if you do want to get in with it, basically you will need a photo pass, and the easiest way to get it is to shoot for someone (like a publication). If you can't do that, find a way to get in touch with the band manager. Maybe go to their wesite, and find their contact details and email them, stating your intentions, to shoot the gig, and hope for the best. This method works for smaller bands, but I don't know how it would go with hilltop. Otherwise, contact the venue and try getting them to give you a pass.

If you do get in, Hilltop were running a no-flash, 3 song rule (pretty standard with bigger acts). No flash is understandable, but I hate the 3 song rule..

Anyway, if you want to get a better idea about it all, check out this forum:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=115

It's the performing arts talk section of POTN, plenty of advice in there, and you have plenty of time to read up.. If you haven't shot live music before, try and get some practice on other bands before Hilltop, and apply early for the photo pass. Hope this helps
Eh, Might give the camera a pass then, sounds like a bit too much effort getting it in there for my first time shooting gigs. :(
What's the 3 song rule? Only alowd to shoot for three songs?

Thanks Anyway.

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
To continue the trend of posting photo's
Here are some from tonight that I was happy with; there are more, but i ran out of upload limit on my flickr for the month :(

thoughts?
This is the Cement factory at Thornleigh isn't it?

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Eh, Might give the camera a pass then, sounds like a bit too much effort getting it in there for my first time shooting gigs. :(
What's the 3 song rule? Only alowd to shoot for three songs?

Thanks Anyway.
The three song rule means that you are allowed in the photo/security pit (between the crowd and the stage) for the first 3 songs only. It basically means you only get 3 songs to get your close up shots, then you're booted out into the crowd for the rest of the show.

I didn't mean to put you off it. Definately try it on some smaller bands/venues to get some practice, because gig photography can be great fun. But hell, if you are really looking forward to hilltop, go without the camera. That way you can jump around in the moshpit and really enjoy the show

Jervis

Likes Dirt
okayyy so I entered this photo comp as it was part of my photoG course at school. I think its a TAS state wide competition.

"For this competition you will be given a list of 20 subjects with the potential for creativity and artistic interpretation"

These are the words we had use-

MY PHOTOS-
(they missed an 'L' on my name, mehh)
http://gallery.me.com/snap09#100718&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=3

other entrants- http://gallery.me.com/snap09#gallery

So who do you think should win? 1st prize is a Nikon DSLR. Pretty sure its only like D60.

KALBO

Likes Bikes

with a canon 400d
[/QUOTE]

..hi mate. I'm new to this photography stuff and still learning. Can you elaborate on the settings you used for this one please. I'm only guessing that this photo had about 4 sec exposure:confused: maybe? Cheers!

Last edited:

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
On another note....finally got me a 24 - 70 F2.8 Siggy.:D
Nice! Let me know how you like it, I'm struggling to justify spending $1800 on the L lens.

On a side note, ordered a 60x40cm soft box and lightstand today, excited.

On another side note, should be picking up a brand new body and lens this week, also, excited.

On another, other side note, I'm turning 18 this week, also, also, excited.

Hey.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Nice! Let me know how you like it, I'm struggling to justify spending $1800 on the L lens.
Pffftt...It'll last you the next 5, if not more, years. Stupid not to, in my opinion.

Plus, it's a piece of pro glass. Not to diss those who own third-party equivalent lenses (especially as Hux has just said he's just bought a Sigma 24-70), but there's a reason they're cheaper - because they're not professional-grade pieces of equipment. Yes, IQ may be almost similar, but build quality, AF speed, and overall feel, most of the time, isn't.

Callan - buy the best you can afford - and when you're practically being handed a shitload of money to go out and spend on camera gear, it'd be stupid to say "I can't afford it". Justification isn't necessary.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My next target to save up too: 35L or 50L. I can't decide on which though..

35L Pros:
- Cheaper than 50L
- Wider (I have a 85mm Prime)
- Quick AF
- Good out of the box
- Good colours contrast

50L Pros:
- Amazing colours/bokeh
- f/1.2 Separation.. :eek:
- Fills the gap in my lens line up (40mm-70mm)

35L Cons:
- Overlaps the 17-40L
- Not 1.2 (not that big of a deal)

50L Cons:
- More expensive ($200?)
- Some rumours of focus shifts in some
- Slower AF

Any inputs?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well despite Friday's blowout, I did actually manage to catch plenty of shows I could see this weekend, even had the camera with me sometimes.
Wasn't sure what the 70-200 would be like for gigs, turns out I fucking love it!

Cue pictures.
Lightning Jack with Mick Burley

Backsliders

Chase the Sun

brisneyland

Likes Dirt

35L Pros:
- Cheaper than 50L
- Wider (I have a 85mm Prime)
- Quick AF
- Good out of the box
- Good colours contrast

50L Pros:
- Amazing colours/bokeh
- f/1.2 Separation.. :eek:
- Fills the gap in my lens line up (40mm-70mm)

35L Cons:
- Overlaps the 17-40L
- Not 1.2 (not that big of a deal)

50L Cons:
- More expensive ($200?)
- Some rumours of focus shifts in some
- Slower AF

Any inputs?
This is for full frame, yeah?

I find 50mm a bit too tight for general travel/landscape photography - the 35 is on my Leica more than any other lens. And if I want to frame tight I generally go with my 90. The 50 just kinda falls in a bit of a no mans land. I really only use it when I need the speed (f1.5 in my case).

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Pffftt...It'll last you the next 5, if not more, years. Stupid not to, in my opinion.

Plus, it's a piece of pro glass. Not to diss those who own third-party equivalent lenses (especially as Hux has just said he's just bought a Sigma 24-70), but there's a reason they're cheaper - because they're not professional-grade pieces of equipment. Yes, IQ may be almost similar, but build quality, AF speed, and overall feel, most of the time, isn't.

Callan - buy the best you can afford - and when you're practically being handed a shitload of money to go out and spend on camera gear, it'd be stupid to say "I can't afford it". Justification isn't necessary.
I have to agree with this......But that said, no reason why the siggy shouldn't last that long as well. Treat it with love and all should be fine. My Tamron's are still working perfectly.
I did pretty much what you said, brought the best I could afford. I still dream of Canon L lenses! lol:D

Callan, so far, I am loving the Sigma. Can't yet fault anything about it.

Chase the Sun

**Snip**
Shayne, I love these light enhanced silhouettes!!!! All nice shots.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
35L for sure.

As for the focus shift in the 50mm, it's actually due to a design flaw (or feature, depending how you look at it) that means that they all have the capacity to exhibit the problem. However, you don't hear of it from every 50L owner as it only occurs at a certain distance in a certain aperture range (can't recall exact figures) so is easily avoided by most.

For many of the same reasons as Ben, I'd go the 35L. The 50mm would be spectacular - especially the bokeh - but it's just another 50mm. I think the difference between 35mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/1.4 would be wonderful - consider the wide angle combined with the DOF at 1.4.

Drew.

Eats Squid
For many of the same reasons as Ben, I'd go the 35L. The 50mm would be spectacular - especially the bokeh - but it's just another 50mm. I think the difference between 35mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/1.4 would be wonderful - consider the wide angle combined with the DOF at 1.4.
A-nomnomnom.

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Shayne those concert photos are looking mint!

Leitch and Ben sure know how to convince someone, even I'm sold on the 35L, and I'm not even looking for a lens!