The Photo Snob Thread

dsquared

Likes Bikes
Over the compact digi I own. Time for an entry level SLR.

Choices:

Cannon Digital SLR Camera with the lot. Included

1 EOS Digital Rebel XTi 400D Camera body

Charger and battery

Cannon 430EX Speedlight

Quality Camera bag and accessory Bag

2X Canon lenses Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Battery grip and accessories

1G scandisk

Printer “ Pixmart" Ink Jet Printer. never been used

Tripod as new in box.

This Camera has taken less than 100 photos the 45-300mm zoom lense has been used once to take a photo of cat for a sample shot for this add. No mark scratches, oil, perfect working order. As new. All lenses have front and rear caps

PRICE: around 1.2K - 1.3K

Opinions?

sworn rider

Likes Bikes
Sandwich effect?

I was reading the comment left by Nick Gascoine who shot the most recent cover of 2020. For memory he was describing when we took the photo about the lighting set up he used and he described it as the sandwich effect. Anyone heard of it, or know what it is?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I was reading the comment left by Nick Gascoine who shot the most recent cover of 2020. For memory he was describing when we took the photo about the lighting set up he used and he described it as the sandwich effect. Anyone heard of it, or know what it is?
One light either side of the rider with him/her in the middle...

Pretty self-explanatory, really.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Just letting everyone know, after quite a bit of a hiatus from updating my main website, I finally got around to doing something about it. There are a few, new, unseen shots, a bit of a blog continuation (that i'll try to keep going this time), and a new overall look to the site. There are still some problems (the size of photos, being one...), but hopefully you can accept them, and understand I have absolutely zero web-handling abilities.

Feel free to check it out, yo!

Www.TristanCardew.Com

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Just letting everyone know, after quite a bit of a hiatus from updating my main website, I finally got around to doing something about it. There are a few, new, unseen shots, a bit of a blog continuation (that i'll try to keep going this time), and a new overall look to the site. There are still some problems (the size of photos, being one...), but hopefully you can accept them, and understand I have absolutely zero web-handling abilities.

Feel free to check it out, yo!

Www.TristanCardew.Com
Sorry Tris, I liked it the way before. I don't deal well with change!:D

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Cool design Tris, I like the sleek feel of it.

Tell me, what ever happened to Tristan's give-away bonanza?
Yeah, my bad, I totally lost track of that. It was more just a chance to get people to take and post what they thought was their 'best' shot of late. When I eventually went to test the trigger/receiver combo I found out the receiver had run out of battery (after 24 months, which I was quite impressed with), and I couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. I'm now living 550km away from where the set is, so perhaps once I return in 6 weeks i'll post them off to someone.

Sorry Tris, I liked it the way before. I don't deal well with change!:D
Ahh well, can't win 'em all! I'm sure you'll eventually get used to it. Either that or you'll hate it so much you'll never look at it...

For anyone who's interested, i've figured out how to increase the size of the shots in Portfolio Three (the landscape portfolio), so feel free to go check them out in all their glory. I've also added what I consider to be lots more shots to the whole website, so there!

tu plang

knob
Been doing a lot of reading of this thread but haven't had time to create anything worth posting for a while... finally got a chance to take some new pic-a-tures. Undecided on a favourite yet and a few more to come once i've finished some PP.

C/C always appreciated.

more and bigger gnar: http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjamin-h/

Last edited:

alexx23

Likes Dirt
A few on the weekend that i liked, floods here in launceston TAS lately, has been very interesting!

GREEENNNN!

^ That one wasnt much good, only had my 50mm so it is top far zoomed in,
also didnt have a tripod so had to use a rail, f/22 1/6sec, ISO 100.
Cheers!

dsquared

Likes Bikes
Guys, really need some assistance. Just making the breakthrough to entry-level DSLR shooting. Need some help making a decision between a few camera choices that I have come up with. Will be shooting mainly people, scenery, architecture and riding. I know that the Canon bodies do not come with build in IS, while the "VR" system in Nikon is handy to have. Live view isn't really an issue, more of a gimmick in my eyes. Also HD video shooting could come in handy. In addition to this, I would like a DSLR that will last a few years, so maybe with some good features, reliability and good choice of glass. Currently I am tossing up between:

Canon 400D
Canon 450D
Canon 500D (Possibly)
Nikon 3000D (Soon to come out by specs are out)
Nikon 5000D
Pentax K-M

What are your thoughts and opinions on the aforementioned pieces of kit, I need a camera fairly soon as I am going overseas. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, Farkin.

D.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First time I've used the camera in forever! :confused:

There's plenty of other good ones, but I thought I'd resist clogging up a whole page with my photos :) (sorry if they're massive, this monitor I'm on is freakin' huge so its hard to judge...)

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Canon 450D YES
Canon 500D (Possibly) YES
Nikon 3000D (Soon to come out by specs are out) NO
Nikon 5000D NO
Pentax K-M NO

What are your thoughts and opinions on the aforementioned pieces of kit, I need a camera fairly soon as I am going overseas. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, Farkin.

D.
D. I can only comment on the Canon. If your funds stretch to the 500D, go that.

Sam.

Eats Squid
One from this morning, pretty boring sunrise in comparison to last Thursday, so I didn't end up with as many keepers.

Not sure what I think of the distorted horizon, any thoughts?

trt-reece

Likes Dirt

GREEENNNN!
[
I like this! So much green, and awesome DOF in it

One from this morning, pretty boring sunrise in comparison to last Thursday, so I didn't end up with as many keepers.

Not sure what I think of the distorted horizon, any thoughts?
Sam, I can't decide on my opinion of the distorted horizon. I think I would have liked it more if it was straight, because the distortion isn't exactly a consistent curve, you know? But I'm liking the over all shot, the lens flare is killer.

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, I can roughly get a 450D Twin Kit and and 500D Single kit for the same price.
And I'm stuck which one to go for. I'm leaning towards the 500D for the better camera and then get more lenses later.

Opinions?