The Photo Snob Thread

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Don't get me wrong, I have a few ideas planned for that bad boy when it arrives. Better to learn with one flash, then move to multiple, I reckon

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
skivi, you bastard I'm so jealous! Would love one of them. Or just anything in MF really.

BTW, is anyone here keen on buying film from the states? I'm thinking of ordering 30-40 rolls (and just maybe a 21/4 or 15/4 in M-mount), and if anyone else is keen maybe we could split an order and save on shipping. I can re-post things via Aus Post if need be. I've ordered film like this before and it worked well.

BTW, shooting with a single strobe? Look up 'One Strobe Pony' (or something like that) on flickr. Some very, very creative shit on there from just a single speedlight.

EG you could aim a speedlight at 45º towards the ceiling from behind a subjects head(rim light), bounce it off the ceiling for fill and fill the subjects face from below/on axis/side a bit more with a reflector...

skivi

Likes Dirt
yeah Ben i'm really happy, got it for a very good price which leaves me more money for lenses and film.

i always thought i'd just buy a Hassy of my own but the timelessness of 6x7 & the rugged yet lightweight portability and discrete nature of the Mamiya caught my eye, the lenses are apparently just as good as the Hasselblad Zeiss series and because the 7 is a rangefinder the lens sits right in front of the film- no heavy mirrors or expensive metered viewfinders plus an excellent dynamic inbuilt spot metering system.

wrongie

Likes Dirt
Single is good for very dark and dramatic lighting..
I tend to use no more than one light when shooting fashion. Try using sheets, walls, poly boards, white card etc for bounce and fill. Studios help, but I've done it at home using the most ghetto setups as well.

Shot this yesterday using one light:

I'm using some good gear, but this is the most basic lighting setup you can get.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
i always thought i'd just buy a Hassy
I was talking MF with dad last night, and he says 'what like my dads Hasselblad?'. My heart jumped. My grandfather passed away about 30 years ago, and there would be a 1% chance it was boxed away or something, but I will enquire as to the whereabouts. probably long gone....

The current Ride BMX UK magazine is a Photo special, and has a bit of MF stuff, and discussion of equipment and set-up for shooting BMX, and also an article on a guy and his large format camera built specifically for shooting BMX. Well worth the read, I say.

I should probably be posting portraits and macro-shots with the acquisition of my nifty fifty, but instead I was at the bowl briefly, so snapped a couple. composition is a bit tight on both I feel, but that's 50mm for you. I have to get used to not always wanting to shoot on max. aperture.

and I was finding it difficult to get studio-style shots of my bike. I was challenged by a floodlight for lighting, large mirror for reflecting and trying to kill shadows, crumpled sheets, and not alot of sheetspace to work with. when I tried to blow out the shadows the bike ended up looking ridiculously bright. any setup hints before I get flashes?

Setup: http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4133/setupshot.jpg

saMfish

Likes Dirt
I did a quick edit for you Lewis, now, I spent about a minute doing this and I really don't like it that much, but it shows the importance of setting your white-balance in-camera. To me, in my edit, the bike looks way too contrasty, which would be fixed by getting the white balance correct in the first place which would, in turn, mean that an edit would be much less required if at all.
**NOTE: this is not a shot at you or your photographical skill dude, just offering some constructive criticism and I do not mean to come off as a touch condescending, but I don't know how I can word it so that I don't ^^**

What I did in photoshop:
1. Open image
2. ctrl+M (windows) to bring up Curves
3. click the white eye-dropper
4. click on the background which you want to be white
5. clone out any areas that aren't white, which can be seen inside the front wheel (I only did 2 spokes).

By the way, your bicycle is schmexy.

Last edited:

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Thanks Sam! I had a fiddle around in LR2, but yeah was ending up too contrasty, and blown out. That's better than my attempts. Much appreciated man.

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
The current Ride BMX UK magazine is a Photo special, and has a bit of MF stuff, and discussion of equipment and set-up for shooting BMX, and also an article on a guy and his large format camera built specifically for shooting BMX. Well worth the read, I say.
Absolutely, that issue has been in my backpack for the last week, for the boring bus rides/in between class. Definately worth looking at.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Just received this email:

"Congratulations!

You’re a finalist for The Pixel Prize Exhibition in Sydney. You will receive your invitation to Awards Night in the mail shortly but here are the details:

THE PIXEL PRIZE
Strathfield Awards Night
Wednesday 12 August starting at 6:00pm

The Strathfield Gallery
Australian Catholic University | Strathfield Campus
Gate 3, 25A Barker Road, Strathfield

I hope to see you at the Awards Night for the opening of the exhibition where you can meet other young photographers and visual arts academics and professionals. You may even get to take home some prize money. Bring your family and friends and come and enjoy the exhibition and the food and drinks.

Make sure you RSVP by emailing me back to let me know if you plan on attending. If you have any further questions feel free to contact me."

Hawwwwwyeah :)

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
These two, I would have shot things more relevant, but only found the competition the night before entries closed!

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!

"Congratulations!

You’re a finalist for The Pixel Prize Exhibition in Sydney.
my teacher told me to enter that, I did and I got no e-mail... sad face:(

I sent in this, I didn't expect to win anyway

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
QQ: Is DoF proportional to distance? ie. subject further away renders a greater depth of focus.[/QUOTE]

Yes DOF is proportional to the distance from your camera body to the subject but the focal length of your lens doesn't really effect the DOF much.
I could try explaining it but just google it if your interested.

Last edited:

syko

Likes Dirt

"Congratulations!

You’re a finalist for The Pixel Prize Exhibition in Sydney. You will receive your invitation to Awards Night in the mail shortly but here are the details:

THE PIXEL PRIZE
Strathfield Awards Night
Wednesday 12 August starting at 6:00pm

The Strathfield Gallery
Australian Catholic University | Strathfield Campus
Gate 3, 25A Barker Road, Strathfield

I hope to see you at the Awards Night for the opening of the exhibition where you can meet other young photographers and visual arts academics and professionals. You may even get to take home some prize money. Bring your family and friends and come and enjoy the exhibition and the food and drinks.

Make sure you RSVP by emailing me back to let me know if you plan on attending. If you have any further questions feel free to contact me."

Hawwwwwyeah :)

i entered that but it screwed up at the last minute so i got really pissed off :mad:. But well done man thats really good.

Anyway im going to the Red Centre for a week soon and wondering if somebody who's been there give me some place's that i can take some photos of and tell me what i should take with me.

EDIT: Took this a little while ago. What do you fellow snobbers think?

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
What I did in photoshop:
1. Open image
2. ctrl+M (windows) to bring up Curves
3. click the white eye-dropper
4. click on the background which you want to be white
5. clone out any areas that aren't white, which can be seen inside the front wheel (I only did 2 spokes).

By the way, your bicycle is schmexy.
It is very sexy!

Here's another take on the studio background editing; takes a bit longer, but in my experience delivers better results.

1- Under the selection menu, click 'colour range' (or whatever it is)
2- In the colour range window, use the eyedropper to select your background tones (you can use the 'add' dropper tool to select additional tones, and the fuzziness control to adjust the threshold.
3- Click OK or whatever and create the selection.
4- Go to the channels panel and use whichever little button down the bottom is the "make selection into channel" thing, to make a mask. Deselect the selection
5- Select the mask channel and use the brush tool to adjust the mask. This is the beauty of using channels and masks, you get heaps more control over stuff, and if you make a mistake you just go back and paint over it in the other colour (it's only black and white).
6- Turn your finished mask into a selection, go into the levels adjustements and blow the shit out of the backdrop.
7- Deselect, and done! (You can also invert your mask selection to make adjustments to your product only).

Of course, if you can just get more light on the backdrop in the first place that makes life heaps easier, but this works too. Sorry if I'm just telling you how to suck eggs, or if this makes no sense (I'm in a hurry, got a poker game starting soon!).