The Photo Snob Thread

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Again, just back to the underwater housing thing...

I've been subscribed to the Aquabumps.com surf report for the past 5 years, which sends me an email every weekday with incredible shots that've been getting me more and more inspired over the years.

Aquabumps is a Bondi-based business run by Eugene Tan who takes the photos, writes the report, and runs the gallery. He takes freaking incredible shots every day and posts 4 or 5 usually to go along with his report.

For proof of his inspiring shots, check out todays report...

I can't wait to get a housing!

willy_c

Likes Dirt
You sold your fisheye not that long ago stating that you never really used it...?
Yep. Not going to stop me buying another if I get it cheap though. Most of my gear is purchased when I get it at a good price, hence why I tend to have a lot of gear for sale.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
You sold your fisheye not that long ago stating that you never really used it...?
Yeah I did, and if I was to buy one again I'd probably rarely use it, too, but there's always the odd occasion where you're like "hmm, a fish would be nice right now". So, if there's one going for the right price, I might be interested. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind a 17-40 or something, but they're a bit more expensive and I haven't got a lot of cash money.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I only had enough space on my computer to load on one CF card from my trip, but here's a couple of favourites so far.

The first two were taken on a little seaweed farming island off Bali called Nusa Lombongan. The third was taken on a 5 1/2 hour drive from Lampung to Karang Nyimbor in Sumatra.

Edit: All three were taken with the D300 and Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens at around f/2.2 to f/2.8.

Please don't comment on the fact the third is centered. I know, and no, i'm not going to crop it...

Last edited:

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
That first shot is just amazing. It would great framed and hung on a wall somewhere. Hopefully the rest of the trip is as fruitful as this sample hey..

wrongie

Likes Dirt
Please don't comment on the fact the third is centered. I know, and no, i'm not going to crop it...
Why wouldn't you crop it like this? Seems everyone likes doing pano's.

Nah, really cool shots man. Loving the b&w tones. Hot stuff.
I really wish less people would crop shots. The way you shot them is obviously how your eye sees them - keep it that way!!!

Little T

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking of getting an UWA lens but unsure of which one. I've pretty much ruled out the canon 10-22 as its just a bit too expensive for me right now. The reviews I've been looking at have narrowed it down to the sigma 10-20 or the tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Has anyone used these lenses before and what are your thoughts? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I'm thinking of getting an UWA lens but unsure of which one. I've pretty much ruled out the canon 10-22 as its just a bit too expensive for me right now. The reviews I've been looking at have narrowed it down to the sigma 10-20 or the tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Has anyone used these lenses before and what are your thoughts? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Get the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. The Sigma is alright, but it's f/4.whatever-f/5.6 or something...f/2.8 is way better, especially if you plan to use it in low-light or for riding. Every review i've read has said the Tokina is dope, and it's what I plan to get eventually (fuck my shopping list is long...good old consumerism), because I can't afford the Nikon 10-24 and like f/2.8 over the f/4 of the Nikon. This is similar to you, as you can't afford the Canon 10-22...so...

Go the Tokina, is what i'm trying to say...

wombat

Lives in a hole
Go the Tokina, is what i'm trying to say...
I've been looking into the same thing, and that was basically the conclusion I came to as well. Although seeing a few 10-22s go for 8-900 2nd hand has got me wondering whether it'd be a better choice than the Tokina.

Not that it really matters, the lens can wait until after I've got a couple of flashes and umbrellas and triggers. Should really get a CPL and a decent UV filter for the Tammy too. Want a decent tele as well, and of course my car would like new wheels and rubber....:(

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I've been looking into the same thing, and that was basically the conclusion I came to as well. Although seeing a few 10-22s go for 8-900 2nd hand has got me wondering whether it'd be a better choice than the Tokina.

Not that it really matters, the lens can wait until after I've got a couple of flashes and umbrellas and triggers. Should really get a CPL and a decent UV filter for the Tammy too. Want a decent tele as well, and of course my car would like new wheels and rubber....:(
Out of interest, how's the Tamron been going? My Nikon 18-70 has finally shat itself after 5 years and no longer auto-focusses at 50mm and above. I guess it'd be a bit ironic if I bought a Tamron 17-50 though to replace it...but still, a f/2.8 mid-zoom would be sweet.

wombat

Lives in a hole
It's come off the camera for all of about 15 minutes so far, and that was only to fit the 50 1.8 because the theatre I was in was damn dark. Ironically, for all the complaints I've read about focusing issues on the Tamron, it was the nifty fifty that missed the mark a few times.

In all honesty I'm really happy with it. As far as I can see it's sharp enough wide open and beautifully open once it's at f/5.6 or smaller. I'd actually like to have a play with an L lens now, just to see what the build quality is like, because this thing feels much nicer than the 17-85 Canon I've got, despite the common complaints.

If you can pick up a reasonably priced second hand copy it'd be hard to go wrong I reckon.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Although seeing a few 10-22s go for 8-900 2nd hand has got me wondering whether it'd be a better choice than the Tokina.
I'm thinking of getting an UWA lens but unsure of which one. I've pretty much ruled out the canon 10-22 as its just a bit too expensive for me right now.
I've had this lens for around a year and it has never failed to impress me. If you can afford it, snap it up quick. I got mine for a shade under $900 new from Hong Kong. This lens delivers tack sharp pictures with great saturation shot after shot. Has a nice sturdy build feel and is super wide. I love the fact that a lot of my favourite shots have come from it straight out of camera with very little PP.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Looking at this in a smaller size now, it doesn't appeal to me anywhere near as much as it did looking at it all big and fullscreen.
Bummer.

willy_c

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Looks like the fish and underwater housing (confirmed to have the fisheye and 100mm ports) are officially on hold. Will advise if it falls through. Have dealt with them before so that would be unlikely, but you never know. Thanks for the interest.

Any more interest in the 28-300 or 16-35mm?

Cheers
Will

nizai

Likes Dirt
Shayne,

I like the shot for its geometric nature, but id crop it tight to focus just on the subject matter. The eye now leads up to through it to the table left up in the top corner. Almost like "one of these things is not like the other"