The Photo Snob Thread

skivi

Likes Dirt
nah wrongie your not alone, i think they look like a dogs breakfast, i really struggle to understand how people think a 'HRD' is an improvement on the original image but each to their own, i'm sure most people find my work boring or a wank.

why HDR when you can just use layers of adjustments with masking then colour correct and sharpen. i shoot film and i do that.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Am I the only one that hates these shitty overprocessed "HDR" shots? I put "HDR" in " " because they're not even bloody close to being this.

Unless HDR stands for Highly Dickface Repetitive.

I don't think HDR is the issue, It's the people who use it and take advantage of it (A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE).

HDR can be a very nice tool if kept natural, especially in difficult lighting situations. The problem is that people can't help themselves and turn their photo's into overprocessed toilet paper. I only ever tried HDR once and couldn't quite get the result I was after, but will try again some day.

I have seen HDR photo's of which, if you didn't know better were hard tell they were a HDR image, lately these are few and far between. HDR isn't a new thing and has been around for quite some time, but has become quite a fad of late, due to programs like photomatix making HDR so simple, A lot of people have succumbed to the overprocessing fad.

Last edited:

Nettheim

Likes Dirt
huh it didnt get much attention in the phat snaps section.

Shots for the woods. It was either shoot from behind or have no lip visible and a tree dominating the scene.

Thoughts?

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow. Bit harsh, but I can take it.

And just to annoy the people who were bagging out on HDR...

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
THAT'S not over-processed.

Looks dope..

Except for the rusted areas, they look a bit hot.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, they are a bit bright ey. Got an opinion for a noobie on the cadallac shot a couple pages back? ;)

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, they are a bit bright ey. Got an opinion for a noobie on the cadallac shot a couple pages back? ;)
haha, IMO youve got excactly the right amount of HDR in there. The clouds look real, the shadows and lighting is nice. Looks at least semi-realistic. What Wrongie and Skivi are talking about are the completly crapped on hdr's that don't look anything like the real scene and have that haloing around the subjects.

EDIT: wrongies right (LOL!), it looks like poor dodging and burning. Try and fix that up and you'll be bangin'.

Last edited:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha, IMO youve got excactly the right amount of HDR in there. The clouds look real, the shadows and lighting is nice. Looks at least semi-realistic. What Wrongie and Skivi are talking about are the completly crapped on hdr's that don't look anything like the real scene and have that haloing around the subjects.

EDIT: wrongies right (LOL!), it looks like poor dodging and burning. Try and fix that up and you'll be bangin'.
I didn't use any burning at all in the train photo... just compiled them together using photomatix (*puts on flame suit*) and adjusted the contrast and saturation a bit in photoshop. I honestly have no idea when it comes to editing photos (or taking them for that matter), so any feedback is appreciated.

And sorry gfish, but what does dodging actually mean? :eek:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
I didn't use any burning at all in the train photo... just compiled them together using photomatix (*puts on flame suit*) and adjusted the contrast and saturation a bit in photoshop. I honestly have no idea when it comes to editing photos (or taking them for that matter), so any feedback is appreciated.

And sorry gfish, but what does dodging actually mean? :eek:

Slaps forehead...

EDIT: not to worry...

Re-edit: I asked why he was tring HDR (while not knowing much about pp) and if he knows what its for - refer post below.

Last edited:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picture without processing in PS.

To above poster: I'm not sure really, just figured I would try out some different settings on my camera and see if I can produce something that looks good. Apparantly not.

EDIT - ^^ too late man, I've answered your question.

saMfish

Likes Dirt
I reckon there'd be a GREAT photo to be had at 90 degrees from that train carriage, looking at it long-ways, so you can see the pink/blue graffiti.

Your first photo is winrar, Nelly. Love it, lighting is absolutely spot on, although it looks a bit soft? May just be my eyes.

Chumbo

Likes Dirt
Shots for the woods.
I Like your first one Nelly but it kind of has a feel of nasty mid-day light to it. If you re-shot with some epic morning rays + tons of Canadian mist it would be sweet.

Also if you could build that lip up so that it boots him super high, that would look pretty cool from the rear angle.

skivi

Likes Dirt
if anyone's interested i can do a little screen-shot tutorial this week of how i do my version of 'HDR' photoshop processing to get the most from your negs (or even digital image files)

it's all layers and masking basically with an emphasis on revealing all the data within the original capture then polishing it into a sharp and colour balanced beauty :)