The Photo Snob Thread

little man

Likes Dirt
You won't find anything much smaller than the 430ex that will offer a noticable difference to your on-board flash.
You on-board flash will turn itself off, once you clip on the external flash.

hotazell

Likes Dirt
Ah, very good. Should I be looking at something such as this? I can't really see the need for 3 external flashes.. let alone 4. So what's a good flash that's not over the top? 430EX is a bit big, expensive and probably too much for what I need. I very much like the idea of having the flash off camera, so I can experiment with the flash in different positions. Again, emphasis on portability.

I don't really get the difference between a slave flash and a primary (?) flash... I'd like to be able to disable the on board flash in the case of having ANY external flash. Is this possible? (i.e. so I can only have one light source)

As they say once you go external you never go back ;-) You found the poverty wizards on ebay. They allow you to have a go without having to pay the price of the real pocket wizards. As Nick says the 430EX is as small as you will find and can be used on and off your camera. If you ever get a canon dslr you can use it on that. Slave normally refers to a flash controlled from the camera or a device on the camera. Therefore the 430EX can be both primary or slave depending on whether it is on the camera or off it.See pic although not remote in pic Nick does use it with the wizards and not cable. He can add more detail. Worth noting is the latest QLD neck braces seen at Coffs.....

Attachments

Last edited:

wrongie

Likes Dirt
THANK YOU.

I'm so sick of never getting good replies in this thread!

I know this thread is technically meant to be about the gear choices etc. but seriously, people like Tristan and Leitch get all the attention and when someone who doesn't post in here often, (me or Olly1006) we get no replies?

All we want is simple things really like how to make the picture better, not asking for much!

So yeah, to answer the how so question, I dunno, hah! I just mucked around with the colours etc until it got interesting..
This sounds like the perfect forum for you:
www.fredmiranda.com

You won't miss out on critiques here, plus the violins play soft subtle harmonic notes.

scars

Likes Bikes
No poking fun if you found one heaps cheaper :D.
I paid $480. Included 3 day postage, a lens protector, a case and a spare (non-genuine) battery. A mem card was offered but I will get one separately as I had no idea as to the quality or speed of the range he offered with the cam.

Last edited:

skivi

Likes Dirt
THANK YOU.
my pleasure.

I just mucked around with the colours etc until it got interesting..
i did really like the bold colors, especially because they weren't as unnatural in hue or saturation as most edited images i see.

my advice to regular posters here (in this thread) who arnt happy with the amount or quality of critique given to them by peers try a few techniques that are more self-learning based.

1) try taking the camera out for a shoot (ie a sunset or a portraits of family/friends but limit the amount of photos you will take to say 10 at the most. set a limit then stick to it, this will force you to contemplate shots much more and think harder about settings and post production.

2) go and have a look at some popular photographers of the genre your into or at least some photography/mtb/skate/whatever magazines and find some images you like and go and try to replicate then, think about how they were taken and how you can get similar results

3) watch some movies, go to a gallery, try an unfamiliar camera or film format

i could go on and on but sometimes (with digital photography) it's too easy to just fire off shots everyday like there's no tomorrow, when your hardly taking time to release the shutter let alone think about the images your creating your not really doing yourself much of a favour.

brusier

Likes Dirt

photo taken by me in Central Australia .. with a cannon digi camera.
ive got more ill put some of them up later tonight..

scars

Likes Bikes
Nice shot Bruiser.
I tried to take some similar and always ended up with these coloured blobs of light in the image. I could not work out why they were always present (only in view of really bright light). Anyway, then I tried some night pics and there were some weird colours in odd places. But at least this eventually made sense. What I found was that the uv filter which is over the lens was allowing light to shine through, which would then hit the lens and bounce back toward the filter (and disappear off into space if the filter was not there). Then it would bounce off the filter and re-hit the lens.

Here is a pic of it happening on the night shots I was trying to do. Check the horizontal blue bar of light that is a double-up. I took off the uv filter and all the shots were ghosting free. Hope this helps anyone else who may notice a similar issue.

Attachments

Last edited:

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Ever wondered what cross processed Velvia looks like?

I had a very very old roll that I found when I was moving. I didn't think it would be all that great for normal use so I had it processed as C41.

It came out with a very strong green base that turns magenta when inverted to get a positive image. I removed a lot of the magenta from the image below but as you can see there's still a lot there. The blues are pretty intense too, although I used a CPL and ND grad filter on this pic that probably helped.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Another buying question!

I know a few of you guys have purchased from D-D photographics before, and I recall hearing good feedback, does anybody happen to know exactly what the go is with their warranties though? I understand that it's grey gear, so say Canon Australia won't have a bar of it, but is the warranty dealt with by a local third party, or OS?

I ask because I see they've got the 40D + 17-85 IS USM for $1575, which seems pretty goddamn cheap to me. I'm pretty hesitant of buying a body without decent support though. I see the warranty is also 'extendable', but they don't give any details on price or provider; anybody purchased extended warranty with them?

I'd ring them, but it's not exactly business hours and I'm curious now, damnit!:p
Well if anyone else cares, I called them today and got some answers. Weren't too keen to explain exactly where the standard warranty repairs were done, only that it was RTB, and that turn around should be about 20 working days. Sounds like a while, but I've heard some nasty stories about canon's local servicing too. Actually, if anyone has had warranty work done by Canon Aus., can they let us know how long it took, and if it was a hassle?

The extended warranty cover they offer is a Mack job, and they offer 3 or 5 year. For the 40D, 3 year is $125, and $175 for 5 year. It's a full international policy and is also transferrable, which is nice.

It's all very tempting, that's for sure. At that price, the 40D kit is cheaper than a 450D enthusiast kit from DCW, which is about the cheapest I'd found.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Well if anyone else cares, I called them today and got some answers. Weren't too keen to explain exactly where the standard warranty repairs were done, only that it was RTB, and that turn around should be about 20 working days. Sounds like a while, but I've heard some nasty stories about canon's local servicing too. Actually, if anyone has had warranty work done by Canon Aus., can they let us know how long it took, and if it was a hassle?

The extended warranty cover they offer is a Mack job, and they offer 3 or 5 year. For the 40D, 3 year is $125, and $175 for 5 year. It's a full international policy and is also transferrable, which is nice.

It's all very tempting, that's for sure. At that price, the 40D kit is cheaper than a 450D enthusiast kit from DCW, which is about the cheapest I'd found.
Mate I've heard some very bad things about those Mack warranties. Look into it a bit before you spend up.

willy_c

Likes Dirt
Ever wondered what cross processed Velvia looks like?

I had a very very old roll that I found when I was moving. I didn't think it would be all that great for normal use so I had it processed as C41.

It came out with a very strong green base that turns magenta when inverted to get a positive image. I removed a lot of the magenta from the image below but as you can see there's still a lot there. The blues are pretty intense too, although I used a CPL and ND grad filter on this pic that probably helped.

Ive got 40 rolls of velvia in the fridge waiting to be shot. Should be a fun time.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I f***ing hate you so much right now Leitch.

(that last shot is very cool btw. The light looks a bit... something. It's not HDR is it?)