The Photo Snob Thread

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had this "model" (Wolf spider) given to me the other day to get some photos of. Took a while to sit still but the cold managed to slow him/her down. It looked as though it had been in a fight as it was missing a leg and a fair bit of hair.

Very nice. Love it infact. But i'd clean up the green foreground if i were you, few hairs and whatnot there that could be easily removed with the clone tool or similar.

maskerade

Likes Bikes
so... questions about compacts about to answered... these are all off my lumix lx3.

First is on a pinhole effect standard in camera
Second is with a canon flash
Third is just with in built camera flash.

Gives you an idea of the quality.

maskerade

Likes Bikes
i love it, it is great when i don't want to lug heavy gear or if i happen to be out and about. great flexibility.
can be a little noisy but that is expected in a smaller camera but shoots amazingly good jpg off the standard options as seen above. RAW is good but some PP programs struggle with RW2 format files. all in all for around $600 can't go wrong.
Haven't played with the canon s90 but hear its basically the same type of camera.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
Be kind, always read this thread but never post in it. I actually make video's and get a lot of inspiration for shots from the photo's in this thread. Anyway I was looking to upgrade my video camera. DSLR's with video capabilities seem to be great quality for the money. I've noticed a lot of people in this thread have 5/7/550d's etc so thought you guys might have experience using the video function.

For those that have shot video do you find when shooting hand-held it is harder to keep the camera still compared to a full size video camera. Do the frames turn to jelly when you get a slight wobble? Do you find tracking a rider with the narrow depth of field a problem or is it relatively easy to get use to?

Now onto the actual camera's themselves. I've mainly been looking at the Canon range. I have a friend who has the Canon EF lenses that will fit and I could use so that would make things a bit more convenient when starting out. Also from the reviews I've seen they just seem to be better quality compared to the Nikon alternatives. The Canon camera's I've been looking at are the 550d, 7d and 5d mk2. I was mainly looking at the 550d and the 7d as they are quite a bit cheaper but I am willing to save up if the 5d mk2 will be significantly better. If some people who have had experience with these camera's could give a quick review or even comparison of the video capabilities of the two that would be great. 90% of the time I would be shooting riding so need something that is good in low-light conditions and also obviously keeping the subject sharp.

I better stop now before you all get bored, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
Anyone? :( ?

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone? :( ?
I think you should go here for info.

I spent the day with a pro photograper yesterday. He was using a 5DII to make a video and the previews on camera looked pretty impressive. That said , we hauled around 15 - $20K worth of gear around the hillside , and the guy has had years and years of experience with still photography so I wasn't that surprised.

If anything , it's goten me pumped to make some videos now !

patto_15

Wheel size expert
I like the effect of the orangeness and the feel of the after! That saying though, I'd equally like the first shot if you processed it focosing on the greens... But between those two you show, orange wins hands down.

Anywho, here is a shot that doesn't include a bike for once..

Second time shooting cars, so don't really know what to do. Was a spare of the moment thing, hence why it shot in his drive way. Wish I actually had planned this and chose a nice place to shoot it!

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
patto_15 said:
Wish I actually had planned this and chose a nice place to shoot it!

His home looks nice enough. Deffinatly could of choosen a more scenic environment but I like the car in the drive!

The house is neat but not interesting, I find this draws focus to the car and opens more POI on the car itself. Also like the contrasting pattern of the drive.

Good shot, I'd be happy for a spur of the moment photo.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
A friend of mine just wrote one of those off. Drove over a blue stone traffic island in Footscray at speed and tore the sump/lower part of the engine off among other things :(