The Photo Snob Thread

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I might not have been specific enough, it's 100% fine when I'm taking photo's of immobile stuff. It's when it's a moving subject (like a riding/kayaking photo). Also, my lens doesn't have IS as far as i know...
What camera? Which focus mode? Which focus point?

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Arete, that last little critter is the best.

I just got convinced to let the local newspaper, the 'Mockery', run a photo I took for a uni article. Apparently they don't pay stringers, and they had their own 'togs they could send to get the shot, so when it came down to the choice of no pay and no photo in the paper, compared to no pay and a photo in the paper which I could add to my portfolio, I begrudgingly took the second option. Not happy about it, but it's something at least, and I got some payment for the initial use of the photo for the uni article..

To make this post even longer, I shot a party on the weekend, took a heap of photos, and got paid too. Photos below... Thoughts on improvements are welcome (since I'm getting paid for this kind of stuff, I need to know how to improve my service ;) ) By the way, everyone is dressed like that because the theme was op-shop formal..

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
What set up were you using Reece? Hotshoe flash? Bounce? Manual, TTL or iTTL?

They look pretty darn good to me man...mine tend to come out with the subtlety of a nuclear blast and even when I turn the power down, I don't quite get the effect I was looking for.

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
I had a mates 430exII on the camera, bounced to the roof (at all angles throughout the night, I was switching between portrait and landscape orientation and ended up with the flash at weird angles just to get some more interesting light bouncing from different directions) and I had a coaster held on the back of the flash with a rubber band as a bounce card to give some fill-in flash.

Settings were approx f4.5, iso800, 1/25-1/40, flash at somewhere between 1/16-1/32 power, depending. The thing I'm working on each time i go out (this is the 4-5th time shooting night-life with a flash) is getting enough ambient in to balance the flash, and try to get cool light trails happening (lighting at this party wasn't interesting though).

I'm not amazing at explaining, anyone who read my tutorial on making a camera bag a few pages back would agree, but hopefully that made sense. I know what you mean about (not) subtle flash, you should be able to solve that by slowing the shutter, setting 2nd curtain sync if you can, and lowering the flash power

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I was having to deal with high ceilings and whilst my flash has a built-in wide angle diffuser that acts as a bounce card, I think that would really work well with diffusing it somewhat.

QOTSA

Likes Bikes
lady bugs lemonchiffon exhaust dazzle red light wild flower black velvet pumpkin. Drifting sepia-tone keylime reverie red sparkle attic kitty. Cramberru haze darkorchid lemonchiffon ghostwhite butterfly pink heat. Wild flower candlelight starbrite dazzle french gold attic sepia-tone dream. Floralwhite watercolor ghost keylime papayawhip graffiti photographs cherries languid. Whitesmoke pink shining nightsong tomato tomato icy icicle and finally blackness. Frostbite jewel tangerine gold-flake oppression old pumpkin cocoon. Keylime nocturne pink lemonade stray dog silver grape darkgoldenrod darkgoldenrod vapor. Spare change puzzlebox stiff purple ice pewter puzzlebox dusk dazzle. now weres my pussy cat?

Ek155

Likes Dirt
I got flashes yesterday afternoon in the post! So stoked!

(most interesting thing i could find in my backyard - couldnt get out today due to hsczz)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Granted. In terms of focus mode, though - is it happening using AIServo or OneShot or both?

Try just using the centre focus point for a little while as it is the most accurate in the 400D.

Nettheim

Likes Dirt
Ok, i'm going to be applying for a media pass for Nationals. What do I need to submit/state on my email application to qualify for one?
Thanks

freeride-freak

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, i got given a hotshoe flash today, a contax TLA 20 which has not been used in a long time, when i turn it on it makes the high pitched charging noise, but when i press the "test" button, or when i connect it on my camera it dosent work. Any ideas what it could be or tips for fixing it? Not too much of a big deal but would be nice to get something out of it :)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Ok, i'm going to be applying for a media pass for Nationals. What do I need to submit/state on my email application to qualify for one?
Thanks
Nationals where? You're unlikely to need one, national rounds are not particularly strict.

Hey guys, i got given a hotshoe flash today, a contax TLA 20 which has not been used in a long time, when i turn it on it makes the high pitched charging noise, but when i press the "test" button, or when i connect it on my camera it dosent work. Any ideas what it could be or tips for fixing it? Not too much of a big deal but would be nice to get something out of it :)
Try new batteries first.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Adelaide. It states on the website
http://www.eaglechamps.com/cms/index.php/content/media/
"For Media accreditation please use the contact below" so i'm assuming i need to send a email with credentials or something?
Send him an email and find out what the benefits are. Usually you will need to show that you are shooting for a publication or website, but at bigger rounds (World Cups etc) there is actually a media room etc. It's been a couple of years since I shot a national round here but I don't recall there ever being a particular benefit to having a media pass. Maybe Adelaide's set up is different, but don't worry too much if you don't get creds - you'll still get plenty of access to the track and riders.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"For Media accreditation please use the contact below" so i'm assuming i need to send a email with credentials or something?
Just send one through with the usual why/what etc.. Who your taking photos for, why your takings photos and what they will be used for.

If its for sale use of just for personal use.. they might reject you. Would probs have to be backing a mag or website.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
What sort of camera are you using? From the sounds of things, you're using an old flash with a DSLR.

I'd strongly advise against using such a thing since older flashes typically require more voltage from the camera to fire; putting one on a new DSLR is said to potentially fry the electronics of a DSLR.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Net, you wont have much trouble, they also like it if you submit an image that they can use with their media releases during the event.
Nat Champs "had" a media centre at Stromlo!
Hopefully....see you there!:D

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
On another note Snobbers, if you have the latest copy of Revo, you'll see my wife's first (and mine) photo used for advertising.:D She's pretty proud!:D