The Photo Snob Thread

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was thinking surfing....Say, Bells Beach! WooHAHAHAHAHAHA! You have a long drive ahead of you.:D

This one is sooo much better. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32116951@N03/3416878057/in/set-72157616415085466/
Haha , well thats not gonna happen ! I have neither the telescopic sized attachments required , nor the inclination to drive 4+ hours to Bells. You win :D

Re the moto pic: The one I posted was a tight crop from the same spot you linked to. Its grainy , washed out , the resize killed it......I don't know why I like it more than the others ? Weird how that's the way it is sometimes ?

A bit like Damian Breach's recent blog post , the Rachel Atherton pic. (I'm not reffering to the actual pic but why certain shots appeal to us for whatever reasons ......despite how technically average they may be.)

Jono31

Likes Bikes
does anyone know the closest skatepark to newtown in sydney
I want to start shooting some bmx so should i just turn up at a skatepark and start shooting people or should i ask first.

thanks

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I want to start shooting some bmx so should i just turn up at a skatepark and start shooting people or should i ask first.

thanks
Wouldn't hurt to ask, they can only say no!:D

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla

thanks
There are quite a few near Newtown. Waterloo, Summer Hill, Dulwich Hill, Five Dock to list some of them. Your best bet for BMX shooting would be Dulwich or Five Dock...they both always seem to be packed with BMXers.

In my opinion, just start shooting. If people ask why you're taking photos, tell them that you're interested in riding and photography, and i'm sure they'll be cool with it. I guess asking wouldn't hurt either, i've just never bothered...:eek:

Jono31

Likes Bikes
Ive got a 50mm 1.8 and the 18-55 kit lens which one do you reccomend taking and should i take my 430ex ii?

thanks

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Yeah Tristan listed the best skateparks for you. You could definitely just rock up and start snapping, however you may feel a bit awkward going alone and very limited people may not appreciate you not asking for consent. Doesn't hurt to spot someone you want to take photos of, and introduce yourself. My advice is exclude the flash till you get to know some people and they agree to it. it can be a bit distracting, and people may take offence.

Might be worth chatting to the guys at your local bike shop Hell on Wheels in Newtown, and ask about appropriate times to take photos because you're interested in trying it out.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
For Bells:

1) Save up $13 000
2) Purchase an EF 600mm f/4L IS USM
3) Go nuts.
OR

Depending on the swell, sit your butt as close to the right (on the beach) as you can without getting swept away. Always wait 'til they pull an manoeuvre and then snap! I'll only have a 300mm but it was good enough for the US Open of Surfing in July last year.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OR...save up $500 bucks and get one of those 'cute' little Olympus Mju cameras. Shock proof such that they dont break when you photograph ugly people.
:eek: its true, I have one and I use it for surfing, i'll try and dig up some shots

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
oky doky, so I have pics from my little olympus waterproofy, they arent the greatest but the show what it can do, and for the record they can take a bashing, mine has been out in 15-20ft surf and gone just fine :)