The HiFi thread

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
My ears are pretty fucked from a misspent yoof of of motorbikes, stupid cars, stupid sound systems and a heavy metal phase (slayer gig in 95 was awesome, standing against the speaker stack at RATM at the Palais in 94 seemed like a good idea at the time…), but this has made me more of an audiophile.

I can’t can’t handle shit sound, happy to spend dollars on smooth and balanced sound that don’t upset my screwed hearing…
I'd never thought of it like that, I do prefer something with a deep bass sound and struggle with anything that sounds tinny, not sure that I could justify spending more than a hundred on headphones.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'd never thought of it like that, I do prefer something with a deep bass sound and struggle with anything that sounds tinny, not sure that I could justify spending more than a hundred on headphones.
Yeah, you totally can. Life is short - get the good headphones that work.

But it’s a slippery slope - once you’re exposed to stuff that actually sounds good, you can’t go back. You’ve been warned :)

MasterOfReality

After forever
Yeah, you totally can. Life is short - get the good headphones that work.

But it’s a slippery slope - once you’re exposed to stuff that actually sounds good, you can’t go back. You’ve been warned :)
I bought a set of B&O Beoplay H9i (business expense for conference calls of course :) ) and love them. No other headphone I have had comes close to these. In my opinion anyway. I'm sure I only just scratched the tip of numerous top quality/better sounding headphones than these ones!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
How you getting past the studs/noggings? Don't run with ac cabling.
As far as performance is concerned, it’s not a problem.

Many old cinemas my predecessors built were perfect. The odd one, something went horribly wrong and ac lighting cables and speaker cables were inside the same cable trays for many many meters with no separation, in the equipment room. Lights were controlled by triac based dimmers, so electronically very noisy. Between 5-10 meters of cables practically touching each other, and super high sensitivity speakers connected at the end of the speaker cable (98-110db 1w 1m), it’s a much worse case then a residential walls vertical run of 2.6-3m with consumer based 87-92db 1w 1m speakers. The impedance of the speaker is 3-8 ohms nominal, the induced voltage is too low. I’ve seen 30-40 meters of speaker cable zip tied to lighting cable barely cause any noise.

AS/NZS3000:2018 has something to say, but anyone installing speaker cables after AC cables are installed, isn’t breaking rules.

I would strong discourage of course. Separation is wise. Think if a rat chews through cables, 230vac ends up on the wall plates binding posts, kid touches the binding post, and the ac circuit isn’t RCD protected.

Typically a wood framed house has one row of noggins in the frame. You can drill the top plate and with a super long bit drill the noggin if it’s a concrete slab building.

If brick veneer, wood sub floor and single story, lift some roof tiles and use yellow tongue to pull the the cable down or up the gap between frame and bricks. (You’ll curse a brickie who’s let too much mortar ooze into the gap), then run under the floor to your locations, drill up and out your hole for wall plate(s).

MasterOfReality

After forever
Typically a wood framed house has one row of noggins in the frame. You can drill the top plate and with a super long bit drill the noggin if it’s a concrete slab building.
Yeh just where i want to put the plate, there is a noggin fairly low down so the wall will need to be cut so i can get past it, and then patched/painted.

Got into the roof to have a look, access is a bit tight because of the skillion roof (its on the shallow side) and aircon ducts. It probably can be done, will need to wait until it cools down.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yeh just where i want to put the plate, there is a noggin fairly low down so the wall will need to be cut so i can get past it, and then patched/painted.

Got into the roof to have a look, access is a bit tight because of the skillion roof (its on the shallow side) and aircon ducts. It probably can be done, will need to wait until it cools down.
Years ago we made a long drill bit for one of the operators at work. He got a bit carried away up top and drilled and drilled and slotted the plasterboard wall of his rental! Both sides.

indica

Serial flasher
MY receiver has dies, 2 1/2 years in. Are they all shit? Is there something simple that will last?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Bloody hell. Can’t recommend anything as my Yamaha is 23 years old now and all my mates amps are at least 5-10 years old. A few have Denons too and I always though they were decent quality kit.

I can’t get blu-ray/dvd player to last more than a year or so these days but just assumed that was something to do with the laser.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Bloody hell. Can’t recommend anything as my Yamaha is 23 years old now and all my mates amps are at least 5-10 years old. A few have Denons too and I always though they were decent quality kit.

I can’t get blu-ray/dvd player to last more than a year or so these days but just assumed that was something to do with the laser.
My Yamahahahaha is the same. Denon should be OK.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
My receiver has just died too, it's currently in the service center. Thankfully within the 3 year warranty period although that seems unreasonably short. Mine was 4 times the price of yours so it seems that maybe even more money doesn't buy you more life.

But it feels like quality has declined everywhere as MBAs try to spend as little on quality as they can.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Audiosciencereview reckon that amps are the hifi components that fail the most.

I've got Denon surround receivers, some of which are approaching 15 years. All have been great. Got a 25 year old Yamaha stereo amp that is on the way out. Was great while it worked.

Just get it serviced and claim it on warranty.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ausdb

Being who he is
I had a Yamaha receiver die due to a leaky cap a few months out of warranty probably a little older than that, unfortunately that was pre working in an industry where you get a good understanding of the ACCC and pre consumer guarantees so paid out of my own pocket to get it repaired. If it had been a few years later and I had been a little less accomodating I would have known to jump up and down and taken it up with Yamaha.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Watching the odd video on line about turntables and stuff. Found someone who was walking through the basic maintenance checks on Regas. Got me to thinking that I have not done anything for at least 5 years. Last time I gave the bearing and belt a good clean was when I replaced the dying ac drive for a dc drive. Found the receipt for that purchase... Ah yes 2009. A good 5 years. Anyway one thing that was mentioned was that the proper bearing oil viscosity is gearbox oil. So presumably at least a 50 weight oil as the trend of using engine oils in gearboxes is much younger than my turntable. I used a 10 weight oil because that is what I was told when I bought the turntable. Rega's site doesn't make any suggestions but others on line say the same thing, 3 drops of 30-60 weight oil.

Belt and drive was filthy. Those were cleaned. And underside of the drive pully? Yep lots of splashed light oil which is what the video said to look out for as a result of using too light oil. Removed all the oil and checked the ball and bearing and all good. Bottom of the drive pulley shaft had a faint dot in the centre so no problems there. Back in with some nice 32 weight turbine oil after a full clean of everything.

Runs the same but at least now I can leave it until 2038.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Here are some of my recent pickups for the new house, all of which I picked up second hand.

Given that I can't even imagine how you could improve on the Polk Legend/McIntosh THX setup, I can't understand why people are letting this stuff go.

I've also picked up the top of the range Yamaha AV pre-amp (pictured) and a Meridian C50 10 channel power amp second hand. People are crazy.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk