The hams plan to ride in japan.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Sorry for the lack of updates, we are at the limit. The last four days have been 100km+ a day with the meat sack realising there are limits.

We have another ,120km tomorrow to get a social ride with ye old friends on Saturday...

Honestly, everything hurts.... There's not a spot on the meat sack that isn't in pain

Calories, hydration.....

We are royally phukked

S

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
@Spanky_Ham you can do it !!!
Yes, yes we f@cking can. Today was supposed to be a rest day, but the downhill from Gotenba was sphincter muscle training day. Cannot believe we just rode another 100km + day today... The first chain drop occurred at the worst time.... But, we are back in Tokyo ready to ride with good friends who we haven't seen for quite a few years....

So much more of a mental game than a physical one.....

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fuji San, if I remember correctly, is still considered active. I reckon most of my many trips were punctuated with some grumbling ground or tsunami! Even in docile Hiroshima prefecture we had a 5.5. Treated with a 'meh' by my workmates.
My last trip was the same.
Working away 20 stories up and suddenly got this strange vertigo feeling. Then everyone started asking me if I felt the earthquake lol. Was just another day for the locals.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My last trip was the same.
Working away 20 stories up and suddenly got this strange vertigo feeling. Then everyone started asking me if I felt the earthquake lol. Was just another day for the locals.
The 5.5 wasn't the highest but it was rare in that location. It was about 3am and I was about 15 floors up asleep in the hotel. Woke up with the shaking and then the glass of water on the bedside table fell on the floor. Loud banging and shaking and then sirens for about 5 minutes. Main shock and after shocks. Then when it stopped could hear the clothes hangers swinging in the cupboard for another 60 seconds or so. We were right on the water... stay in the room? Go down to the ground floor? Keep away from the window etc. Police cars in the street telling people no tsunami warning. Didn't get back to sleep. Another 5 or so after shocks. Went down to breakfast later on and everyone was talking loudly (about the earthquake) which was very unusual. Some minor damage to a couple of bridges. Mate rolls in and sits down. He had no Japanese. What's everyone talking about? Earthquake. Oh? Where was it? Here. Didn't you notice. No. Oh, that might explain why my shaving stuff was in the bath? He thought he was just more pissed than usual and threw it in there before bed! :D Most colleagues got phone warnings just before it hit, looked at the warning and realised it was nothing much and went back to sleep.
We were down that way when the tsunami hit in 2011. Meeting was stopped when the phone notifications came through. We paused while guys tried to get in contact with family in Tokyo and Nikko. Pure serendipity we had arranged to fly home from Fukuoka after a site visit to a plant in Kyushu so we were lucky not to get mucked around with the transport issues that were on going for a week or so. We caught up with some American guys who had used local trains, buses, taxis etc to get a flight out. Bloody scary, so many killed and imjured, so much damage.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Then when it stopped could hear the clothes hangers swinging in the cupboard for another 60 seconds or so.
That is a sound right out of a horror movie!

On my first visit to Japan I visited a friend who had been living in Tokyo for a long time. I was very confused by the doorway to his apartment...why is this so wide? Ohhhhh it's your earthquake refuge. Yeah of course I knew that.

The 2011 tsunami was a terrible time for so many people. I can't imagine how people would have felt worrying about their family and friends caught up at the impact zone.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
One of two rides done, it was amazing to catch up with old cycling friends today!

Cycling ( no matter which flavour ) is a great way to make friends and connect with people.

Today's Half Fast Tokyo cycling tour had about 50% first timers and some ol f"cks like this pig.

We did pass a recumbent cycle with an iPad in the riders direct view that was blasting some fooliii sick tunz.....We also rode past a company that was called G-ism... Which Dean pointed out to us, laughed hard for the next 5 minutes.

We will head out again on another ride in the next hour to show support to a half fast member that is in hospital, we can't visit, but we can all shine out lights towards his hospital room to show support....

S

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
What are the driver attitudes towards cyclists like?
While it's not perfect, I think you'd find it hard to find a Japanese person who didn't ride a bicycle in their youth or teenage years. So most know what it's like to ride around. At the same time, there are old people, mothers with children and school kids cycling to school all over Japan everyday. So, the attitude from car drivers to cyclists is pretty good.

When I lived here and had a Japanese licence, I was told that hitting a cyclist in a car ( even if they're riding down hill, facing backwards on one wheel) means the car driver is in the wrong and bad things are about to happen legally.

TLDR better than Australia

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Second social ride of the day in Tokyo was done at night.... And following my mate Brian who has lived in Japan for probably centuries was a blast... Four of us flew down to Odaiba using road, paths, new bridges ( well since I was last here) and stood outside a hospital with all our lights on to show support for a mate..... He stood at his hospital window and shone a red flashing bicycle light back... It's not much ( we can't visit due to his condition and COVID) but we show support.

We rode down to the harbour for a quick beer before heading back to central Tokyo. That ended up being another 90km on a rest day.

Woke up this morning and it's pissing down, so we will stay in Tokyo for one more day. Hitting up the coin laundry with the Kindle and be ready to roll first thing tomorrow.

S

p.s. face hurts due to a little bit of sunburn, and muscles we've not used for smiling for such a long time are getting fatigued. :)