The Fixie Thread

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
Can I just ask how long it takes most of you guys to come to a stop at around 30KM/h? it seems to take me forever, nowhere near as good as even 1 back brake.

Jaumet

Likes Dirt
Can I just ask how long it takes most of you guys to come to a stop at around 30KM/h? it seems to take me forever, nowhere near as good as even 1 back brake.
Gosh.. With multiple short skids - Not very long, - With front brake and skid, probably a few seconds - which would equate to... Ummm really can't be fuct doing the maths...

Basically if you want to stop quickly on a fixed gear, put a front brake on... If not, you should be ready to ride AROUND your obstacle rather than stopping in time, that's why you need nice big strong wheels for smashing up a gutter to get around a stoopid cager...

'Ross

Eats Squid
If you skid sitting down you will come to a stop in a very short distance, most people go for the big lean over the handlebars skid and all that does is unweight your back wheel and increase the distance you travel before stopping:eek:

Lemontime

Eats Squid
If you skid sitting down you will come to a stop in a very short distance, most people go for the big lean over the handlebars skid and all that does is unweight your back wheel and increase the distance you travel before stopping:eek:
But you just look so cool..!

Pete J

loves his dog
Props to people that can do emergency stops without any brakes, i know that i couldn't match my front brakes performance with just my legs.
I had an incident last week where a car turned into a driveway (without indicating) right in front of me on a shared footpath. It caught me completely by surprise but luckily i grabbed a handful of brake quickly. I braked so hard that the back wheel came up off the ground and i just missed hitting the back door of the car. The driver shouted an apology after i went past and said 'sorry, i didn't see you!'. I shouted back 'Cos you didn't look!!', which was true as i have the brightest back light evah yo!!! :p
That incident got me thinking as to how it would have gone without brakes....
Like i said, if anyone can stop as fast using just their legs, they get much respect from me.

norco01

Likes Dirt
Props to people that can do emergency stops without any brakes, i know that i couldn't match my front brakes performance with just my legs.
I had an incident last week where a car turned into a driveway (without indicating) right in front of me on a shared footpath. It caught me completely by surprise but luckily i grabbed a handful of brake quickly. I braked so hard that the back wheel came up off the ground and i just missed hitting the back door of the car. The driver shouted an apology after i went past and said 'sorry, i didn't see you!'. I shouted back 'Cos you didn't look!!', which was true as i have the brightest back light evah yo!!! :p
That incident got me thinking as to how it would have gone without brakes....
Like i said, if anyone can stop as fast using just their legs, they get much respect from me.
Similar thing happened with me. Riding down a street along a flat going pretty quick, a guy stepped out onto the road and started walking across. Grabbed a handful of brake and did a mega endo!! scared mysself shitless that i didnt go over the bars and landed it and a the guy apologised profusely for not looking.

Endo's on fixies=radd

Jaumet

Likes Dirt
Very true....

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
My legs are to pezant to skid sitting down.....have to lean forward.....

And I have a Front Brake because otherwise I'd die!!!

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
Its a figure of speech.....dont take things so literally....and true hipsters cant skid at all....at least I can!!!

No Challege!!!