The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Cool article. It applies to all parties though. The political compass was a thing I played with a while ago and it's interesting to see where everyone sits (we did it at work for fun). But noteworthy is that generally the shift is towards more right wing policies.

The previous labor left liberal right and the greens really far left has moved a lot - which is reflected in the article you posted. The political compass is worth doing for kicks or just to read the observations. For example:
- 2007 election: http://www.politicalcompass.org/aus2007
- 2010 election: http://www.politicalcompass.org/aus2010
- 2013 election: http://www.politicalcompass.org/aus2013

It's worth doing the test first and then understanding how it all works. But pretty much the picture is that liberals are moving far more to the right, labor is now where the liberals used to be about 15 years ago and the greens are taking up where labor was back then.

My take (which agrees with the comments there): This presents more holes (read more minority parties) and squeezes labor into a difficult position with their ties to unions. The liberals are slightly better of than labor but still struggle with far right policies. As for the greens, well it's all good news for them as they sweep up the 1990's middle ground and pick off environmentally conscious liberals.

Interesting times.

P.S. I am far left and pretty authorative so I must be right haha.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Cool article. It applies to all parties though. The political compass was a thing I played with a while ago and it's interesting to see where everyone sits (we did it at work for fun). But noteworthy is that generally the shift is towards more right wing policies.

The previous labor left liberal right and the greens really far left has moved a lot - which is reflected in the article you posted. The political compass is worth doing for kicks or just to read the observations. For example:

It's worth doing the test first and then understanding how it all works. But pretty much the picture is that liberals are moving far more to the right, labor is now where the liberals used to be about 15 years ago and the greens are taking up where labor was back then.

My take (which agrees with the comments there): This presents more holes (read more minority parties) and squeezes labor into a difficult position with their ties to unions. The liberals are slightly better of than labor but still struggle with far right policies. As for the greens, well it's all good news for them as they sweep up the 1990's middle ground and pick off environmentally conscious liberals.

Interesting times.

Like "I only have a left wing, so fly in circles"? Or not quite that far..?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Interesting times.

Lolls, I was all in to it untill I read my rediculous score - pretty much where the greens are - the party I dislike with an almost passion for their airy fairyness. Poorly written questions that assume the reader is dumb and doesn't know the difference between all and some, and also United States based, given the associations between religion and authority.

On that US thing - I'd suggest the democrats are a long way to the right of the australian Liberal Party, economically and socially.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Lolls, I was all in to it untill I read my rediculous score - pretty much where the greens are - the party I dislike with an almost passion for their airy fairyness. Poorly written questions that assume the reader is dumb and doesn't know the difference between all and some, and also United States based, given the associations between religion and authority.

On that US thing - I'd suggest the democrats are a long way to the right of the australian Liberal Party, economically and socially.
I just did it, and sounds like I ended up in a similar zone to you. :noidea:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Landing where the greens are on the political compass does not mean you have to agree with their policies. You could have the same economic bearing but be off on how that is implemented. I'd also add the chart imo misrepresents the green as more libertarian than I believe they are. It's only because they don't have real power but their policies seem more authorative.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Nah, it's completely off the charts stupid and incorrect.

So far off as to be laughable. - example question - a large corporation will always do more for the greater good etc etc. Now, you'd have to be a fucking moron to notice or care about the word "always" - I'm a fair way right economically , and even I baulk at a question that includes "always" - that would mean there is no such thing as market failure.

There was also a question on media and information that for the US would imply fox's take on thing, but here it might imply the ABCs take on things, then another that asks about support for the arts and public media - again you would have to be ignorant in Australia to not realize that pretty much all of our art, museums etc are funded in part from the public purse, as is the only decent tv channel (despite it's left leaning news)

As such, their positioning of various countries political parties have to be taken with a small ute load of salt.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Always is a pretty common question in this kind of survey. The intention is to place an absolute value and measure your response...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Always is a pretty common question in this kind of survey. The intention is to place an absolute value and measure your response...
But usually those surveys have a 0 to 10 metric with never through to always as the response, or somewhat agree through to definately not etc. Anyway, still very much US focused - any survey like that needs to be country specific not a catch all .

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But usually those surveys have a 0 to 10 metric with never through to always as the response, or somewhat agree through to definately not etc. Anyway, still very much US focused - any survey like that needs to be country specific not a catch all .
I've found 1-5 most common, but there is a swing away from odd numbers to reduce people sitting in the middle by default

I agree (to an extent) that the over ethical questions tend to have an american vibe. But I think that is because issues like abortion don't spend a lot of time in "our" face, but plenty Australians would know that the us has a lively debate on it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If it is so accurate how did I end up as such a right extreme right wing fascist?
Didn't say the whole thing was accurate, just my results.

It's a crappy survey, if for nothing else there is no "I don't know" response. But I don't think it should be seen as anything more than some internet-fun.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Didn't say the whole thing was accurate, just my results.

It's a crappy survey, if for nothing else there is no "I don't know" response. But I don't think it should be seen as anything more than some internet-fun.
Well this ruins my Saturday night, thanks...I just placed an online order with my Hong Kong suit tailor for 7 new outfits:
- Franco
- Pinochet
- Stalin
- Mao
- Bush
- the Queen
- Mugabe