The dangers of inflatable art.

danv

Likes Dirt
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=116331
Inflatable art flies away: two women die
Monday Jul 24 06:20 AEST

AP - An inflatable art exhibit in a British park was blown nine metres into the air by a gust of wind, causing the deaths of two women and injuries to 12 other people.

The women, aged 68 and 38, died when the "Dreamspace" inflatable exhibition broke its moorings at Riverside Park, Durham, northeast England, and was blown into the air, said Durham Police spokeswoman Joanna Banford.

A three-year-old girl is in a serious condition following the accident, and 11 other people, both children and adults, were also injured, she said.

Police said up to 30 people were on the structure when it flew into the air. It came down after striking a metal pole.

John Robson of County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service said there were scenes of chaos in the park where the inflatable came down.

"There were parents looking for children, children looking for parents," he said.

"We had to extricate a number of people from the structure. A number of people had fallen on top of each other."

"Dreamspace", a temporary construction made of thin translucent PVC sheets, was an inflatable 2,500 square metre structure, designed by artist Maurice Agis, which allowed adults and children to climb aboard and crawl through its networks of multi-coloured tunnels.

An investigation into the cause of the accident has begun.

:eek: I saw this on another forum and thought it was pretty strange. Funny and tragic. And really wierd.

Robb

Likes Dirt

Looks interesting enough... I am confused as to how it could blow away/what it looks like from the outside...

wtr

Likes Dirt
On the same topic.

Saw an article on the mX yesterday about the findings of an UK study, that inflatable male passenger "actually" assist women with their driving. By providing a false sense of male presence, the 83% of female driver felt more confident driving at night than otherwise. Gave me quite a chuckle.

I can so exploit this business oppotunity, think airbag. ;)