The 29er thread.

Mal01

Likes Dirt
Raleigh XXIX

Has anyone had any experience on a Raleigh XXIX ... and also Eccentric BB's in general?

How do people find the combination of the bigger wheels and the single-speed? Should I be worried about my knees and back with single-speed climbing or do the 29" wheels cancel out some of the single-speed effect?
Hey Elbo,

I've had an XXIX for a couple of years now and I really like it. It's my first ever MTB so I can't really give any comparison with 26", geared, or suspended bikes, other than to say that when I get on my son's Norco Nitro that feels really ... unstable in comparison.

I race it (rather slowly, but that's not the bike's fault) and also did a 12 day off-road tour of Tassy on it over Xmas last year, loaded up with an Old Man Mountain rack and panniers. OK, so I walked a bit, but you get that. :D I'm running the standard 33:20 gearing.

I've had zero issues with the EBB - no loosening, no squeaks, no problems. The only thing that has gone wrong with the bike is that the rear cog lockring came loose while I was in Tassy - not the bike's fault. The chainring's a tad off centre so the chain tension varies a little, but that doesn't seem to be too uncommon unfortunately. Not a huge problem.

I've upgraded the brakes to Juicy 7s because I couldn't get the BB5s sorted. I've also added Ergon grips and barends. I've also gone tubeless with Stans, with varied results, although I think now that's my tyre choice - I originally thought it was the rims. (Maxxis Ignitors, non UST, fit REALLY loose on the WTB rims.) The paint's a bit soft - mine's missing a fair amount now, but then it's been laid down on a few Stromlo rocks in it's time too. At some stage I'll strip it back and get it powdercoated.

At times I would like a suspension fork on the front but as my frame is not suspension corrected (I'm not sure if the more recent ones are?) I'm lead to believe that mucks up the handling. Dunno, wouldn't mind trying but I don't have a spare 80mm 29er fork lying around. Doing a lot more pushups would also help.

As for hurting your back or knees - I've considerably over twice your age and seem to survive. You learn to pick your lines. The biggest problem I've found while out riding is answering all the lame comments you get - SS, rigid, 29er. "Yeah, I know, so I'm crazy. I'll wait for you at the top of the hill if you really want to discuss it." :rolleyes:

I'm currently looking at upgrading, and the new bike will be ... fully rigid single speed 29er. Just with a little more bling!

krisko

Likes Dirt
bye bye 26"

Well I did it today, I split the Anthem X0 keeping the good bits and selling the frame wheels and parts!

After riding the Gary Fisher Paragon exclusively for the past month I made the decision to sell the Anthem.

Every time I got back on the Anthem it reinforced the feeling that the Paragon was the main bike for me!

The Paragon is now 11.1kgs with the original heavy wheelset!

Damn it looks and rides fast, with enough give in the larger wheels and tyre pressures to take the edge off.

Now what wheelset should I buy Im 88kgs 6'3" I could take a risk with Stans 355 and use them as a race only wheelset? Any thoughts appreciated

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Now what wheelset should I buy Im 88kgs 6'3" I could take a risk with Stans 355 and use them as a race only wheelset? Any thoughts appreciated
I used to run Salsa Delgado's and they were horrible... way too noodly (or should that be noodely?). I'm not running Stan's Arches laced to a DT swiss 240 hub on the Singlespeed and its pretty nice. Noticeably less flex and much more planted in the bends.

I'm about 82kg or so.

I'm planning on building up a 29er geared bike as my racer and looking at the 355s as the all-round set. Stans now have a full 29er ZTR race wheel but its got a rider limit of about 79kg or so but 1200g the pair :eek:

I was planning to put 355s on mine but was told by the LBS that the importer didn't recommend them (DW-1 wanna chime in?). Also I'm running a hardtail and can be a bit 'rough' on components so if you're smooth and on a dually then it should be fine. Let us know how you get on (oh, MTBR has a ton of info in the 29er forum on this)

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to run Salsa Delgado's and they were horrible... way too noodly (or should that be noodely?). I'm not running Stan's Arches laced to a DT swiss 240 hub on the Singlespeed and its pretty nice. Noticeably less flex and much more planted in the bends.

I'm about 82kg or so.

I'm planning on building up a 29er geared bike as my racer and looking at the 355s as the all-round set. Stans now have a full 29er ZTR race wheel but its got a rider limit of about 79kg or so but 1200g the pair :eek:

I was planning to put 355s on mine but was told by the LBS that the importer didn't recommend them (DW-1 wanna chime in?). Also I'm running a hardtail and can be a bit 'rough' on components so if you're smooth and on a dually then it should be fine. Let us know how you get on (oh, MTBR has a ton of info in the 29er forum on this)
Well respected US wheelbuilder warned me off them at 85kg unless I planned to get only a season out of them
Arch with double butted spokes is the recommendation for us bigger guys.

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
After enduring noodly but light wheels for a year I just had built up Sun EQ27's with DT340 hubs and Kenda Nevegal/Karma 2.2" tyres. Also changed the fork to Manitou Minute with 20mm axle and the rear hub is DT 10mm RWS axle.

While it's all added some weight, the bike is way stiffer and more confidence inspiring, it'll just roll through anything!

I'm really liking the wider rims, it keeps the sidewalls stiffer and less likely to fold and distort. Best light but stiff option would be Stans Flow with DT240's but don't go crazy light on the spokes, that's a lot of spoke to have flexing.

Last edited:

edo1

Likes Bikes
Mr Pants,

How do you find the Minute? I have the same fork & have had a problem where it wouldnt hold air. I emailed the tech in the US & we tried a couple of things but he has sent me new o rings or something (havent arrived as yet) to try to fix it. Have you had the same issues?

In regards to wheels, its worth asking Greg at TWE what he can do for you. I have a set on the zion (20mm front & Alfine 8 speed rear hub) & even lending it to my 120kg mate to bash over the rocks they havent missed a beat. No idea on weight though...this was supposed to be a commuter...but it appears I have sold my 26 inch bikes...

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Hey Elbo,

I've had an XXIX for a couple of years now and I really like it. It's my first ever MTB so I can't really give any comparison with 26", geared, or suspended bikes, other than to say that when I get on my son's Norco Nitro that feels really ... unstable in comparison.
Hey Mal,

Thanks for giving so much feedback! I appreciate it! Awesome pics from tassie, is that something you planned and did by yourself? I'm looking to get into some adventure stuff when I get my fitness up.
Good to hear your thoughts on the bike. I'm seriously leaning toward the Raleigh.
If you had your time again would you go for a suspension corrected fork or not? I think I'll be happy with rigid as I've got my Reign if I want to go for a rougher ride.
Do you feel that it becomes a bit of a chore to ride at all after a bit of time in the saddle?
Was also wondering if you had a weight on yours, and have you found the stock wheels have held up well? Given that it's rigid I was thinking they probably take a battering, and being 29" thought they are probably a bit weaker than the 26" counterparts?

Not sure if they have any left, but i picked up my 08 Haro Mary SS from Brunswick St Cycles for well under $1000. Good deal IMO.
Thanks for that El Zilcho. I think I'm set on the Raleigh, but if its not what I want then I might have a look at the Haro as well.

I was in pretty much the exact same position as you. After 15 years riding hardtails, last year i bought at Trance X, which i love. But it definitely turned me into a lazy rider. And worse still, it really affected my cadence, i realised when riding a mate's road bike, that i'd started to 'bounce', bobbing up and down with each stroke.

Anyway, i eventually picked up a GT Peace 9er as my intro to the worlds of SS, 29ers and rigid riding. Six months later, I absolutely love singlespeed riding, i'm a fan of the big wheels... but hate rigid forks. I love the challenge that comes with SS of reading the trail and carrying momentum. but the forks are a bit much, eventually it just becomes a pain dealing with jarred wrists, as well as the occasional front pinchflat. It's also way harsher on the back than with suspension forks.
I initially had a little bit of knee pain from riding SS, but that's gone since i adapted to standing and blasting up hills, rather than sitting and grinding.
I think the challenge is what I'm looking forward to the most and being able to hopefully increase my skills. I must admit I'm pretty scared about going back to rigid forks, but I think it'll be fine and will teach me to ride better very quickly. I think being on a bike which is back to the core of MTBing will bring me back to earth (hopefully not literally, just with my riding style, etc).

If you have your heart set on the Raleigh, you probably should go with that.

I'm a Peace owner, love it so much, I have put a suspension fork on it though.

As for worrying about your knees and back, bike setup will have more impact. Although 29" wheels do not improve SS climbing due to the heavier rotational weight & increased gearing of the bigger wheels. Generally, a 29er will have a lower ratio, the peace had a stock 32:18. I do a lot of climbing on mine and have dropped to 32:20.
I'm pretty set on the Raleigh at the moment, so I think this is the way I'll go. I am going to have a test ride of a friends Peace 9r though, just to see.
I guess I will be learning to ride a whole lot differently, but it will add a new level of fun to the ride and enable me to just enjoy the ride and the trails.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mr Pants,

How do you find the Minute? I have the same fork & have had a problem where it wouldnt hold air. I emailed the tech in the US & we tried a couple of things but he has sent me new o rings or something (havent arrived as yet) to try to fix it. Have you had the same issues?
I've got three of them with no dramas (beyond the fact that I crushed a spring and trashed the damping rods on a big landing :mad:)...

krisko

Likes Dirt
Anyone had any experience with American Classic wheels in 26 or 29"

The 29ers are getting rave reviews on MTBR in my weight class, Im interested in the life of the wheels themselves not trivial things like I broke a spoke after 2 rides etc

The crossmax 29er wheels get flexy comments also but I rode them for 2 hours at Stromlo and never noticed any flex! Im also 88-90kgs

I would really love the 355's even if I had to replace the rims every 18 months.....Surely with a 3 cross 14/15 gauge spoke they can be built strong!?

Im guessing sideways flex is the issue, That people are reporting on?

Berger

Likes Bikes
Anyone had any experience with American Classic wheels in 26 or 29"

The 29ers are getting rave reviews on MTBR in my weight class, Im interested in the life of the wheels themselves not trivial things like I broke a spoke after 2 rides etc

The crossmax 29er wheels get flexy comments also but I rode them for 2 hours at Stromlo and never noticed any flex! Im also 88-90kgs

I would really love the 355's even if I had to replace the rims every 18 months.....Surely with a 3 cross 14/15 gauge spoke they can be built strong!?

Im guessing sideways flex is the issue, That people are reporting on?
I have just got a set of 29er 355s built up on 240s with revolution spokes 3 cross and they feel good, I haven't pushed them at race pace yet, they weigh 1530g. I weigh 78kg and got them as a race wheelset only and know they may not be the strongest wheels around but wanted to give them a go regardless. I also have Stans 29er arch rims on my single speed and they are great, strong and stiff. If I was ten kilos heavier I would be using the arch rims, you stand to make a much greater difference with tyres on a 29er than the difference between the 355 and the arch........But if you have the same illness as me you will have to get some 355s.

DW-1

Dirt Works
I have just got a set of 29er 355s built up on 240s with revolution spokes 3 cross and they feel good...
I'm forever amazed that people will use Revolutions on mtb wheels. And now I hear of someone using them on a 29er wheel... with a 355 no less... :eek:

Even DT Swiss don't recomend Revolutions for mtb wheels. Let alone a 29er wheel.

Yes, yes... I know... this is the bit where someone will point out that they know a wheelbuilder called {insert name here} that builds with them and he's a god and they ride them and they've had no problems. (you can also wedge a V8 block into a Moke engine bay... and I've seen it too... and yes... it was drivable, but that doesn't mean that you should...)

Back to spokes though... DT Swiss Aerolites are stronger and lighter. If you're that into weight savings... then they are the way to go. (cost be damned)

But if you want light and cheap(er)... then Supercomps are only a minor % heavier than the Revolutions and a similar price. And they'll build a much better wheel (tension, strength wise).

Elvis.

Last edited:

Hud

Likes Dirt
I'm forever amazed that people will use Revolutions on mtb wheels. And now I hear of someone using them on a 29er wheel... with a 355 no less... :eek:

Even DT Swiss don't recomend Revolutions for mtb wheels. Let alone a 29er wheel.

Yes, yes... I know... this is the bit where someone will point out that they know a wheelbuilder called {insert name here} that builds with them and he's a god and they ride them and they've had no problems. (you can also wedge a V8 block into a Moke engine bay... and I've seen it too... and yes... it was drivable, but that doesn't mean that you should...)

Back to spokes though... DT Swiss Aerolites are stronger and lighter. If you're that into weight savings... then they are the way to go. (cost be damned)

But if you want light and cheap(er)... then Supercomps are only a minor % heavier than the Revolutions and a similar price. And they'll build a much better wheel (tension, strength wise).

Elvis.
I'm having some 650b 355's built into 240s and I'm going for comp spokes after hearing 355s can be a little flexxy.

Berger

Likes Bikes

Elvis.
You said it! I have had mtb wheels built with revos before and know of plenty of others that have never had a problem, Aerolites wont save them.

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
How do you find the Minute?
About 60 seconds long :p

I have the same fork & have had a problem where it wouldnt hold air. I emailed the tech in the US & we tried a couple of things but he has sent me new o rings or something (havent arrived as yet) to try to fix it. Have you had the same issues?
I've only ridden it for about 3 hours so far. No probs yet or clicky noises. The lack of a quick release 20mm system is getting a bit old but worth it for the stiffness upgrade. The platform system is a bit harsh, hopefully it will mellow with time...

All up, pretty good and looks awfully nice :D

Pete W

Likes Dirt
355's

I've had 355's built on Aireal Xc hubs with super comps for 3 years now on my 29er hardtail and after heaps of club races, a scott or two, 3 flings and a very angry doctor and no problems.
So much so I built up an identical set(nice red hubs) for my RIP Niner and so far.........stil no dramas.

Recently I've just got a set of minute 120's for the RIP and they are clickers, but they are sweet, rigid, plush and the platform works a treat and for $286us they just get better and better. Great Fork...........what click.....:D

Last edited:

krisko

Likes Dirt
Pete W How much do you weigh? Im sitting on a see saw its going to be the new American Classic 29ers (1650 grams, rim is 400 gram) or a Stans 355 build.

My thoughts on the 355's are at least I can get a replacement rim if something goes wrong and if they last a season mehh I'll buy another rim and have it rebuilt.

I've got lighter mates in the 75-80kg range who have cracked and or dented multiple rims. Alot of the time I think its how you ride, I avoid landing flat or hard and am always conscious of being smooth and where my weight is positioned, avoiding clunks and hard hits by prejumping, monohoping etc

*shrugs*

Big JD

Wheel size expert
wheels

I have had two sets of 29er wheels built up without problems
1. DT Swiss 7.1 rim, Super comp spokes with King Hubs. DT tubeless rim strips, Stans and Bontrager Tubeless Ready (what ever that means) Jones tyres. DT ratchet GEARED FS
2. Sun Equilizer rims, Comp spokes, Hope hubs (rear SS), Racing Ralphs. Single Speed and Rigid. Hope bolt up hubs
I wiegh 110kgs (6.5 tall) and dont ride with alot of finese. Neither wheelst is overly heavy and l have no noodley experience.
Cheers
JD

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Can anyone advise who sells the Raleigh XXIX? Not much luck in searching here or on Google.