Surfing...

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
I've only been riding since the start of the year, and bodyboarding has kind of taken a back seat - but stuff like that ^^ makes me want to forget about tomorrows ride & head to my local instead :p

brusier

Likes Dirt
I've only been riding since the start of the year, and bodyboarding has kind of taken a back seat - but stuff like that ^^ makes me want to forget about tomorrows ride & head to my local instead :p
yeh mate i know what you mean... recently i havent riden my bike in yonks, been bodyboarding instead.. there is no surf at the moment... none

chie

Likes Dirt
I just went out for the first time ever last week in North Scotland. Way more people than I ever would have expected surf up here. So I thought I might as well learn to surf up here instead of at home.
the crazy thing is that I'm told the best waves are in the middle of winter...

Got a few waves lying down, which was enough to get me hooked dispite the water temp. Spoke to a few surf shops and they knew of a few 2nd hand wetsuits so will head back into town this weekend or early next week to try some on.
Can't wait to go back out.

james green

Likes Dirt
Nice pics! agreed, bodyboarding is the second best thing.

Was out at currimundi on a 6ft day about 5 months ago, set had just gone through and i was out about 130 metres...with a mate. He caught a wave, so i was all on my own. Next thing BAM...a fucking Male Dugoung starts trying to attack me. I shat my pants, i got onto a smaller wave to the shore.
This creature was massive and it was pissed of something fierce, very scary haha.
thanks dude.

haha thats a classic my dad comes out surfing with me too and the same thing happened to him it was quite funny!!:p

repas2

Likes Dirt
i surf. live in burleigh heads on the gold coast. its the best thing in the world along with mtb. i have been surfing for bout 4 years and i have been competing for about 2. i am picking up my first sponsor in a cople weeks so im pretty stoked. here's burleigh on a fairly good day

THISISTC

Likes Dirt
Ive been surfing with the old boy for about 1 year now. Every year we go to yamba as a family. Me and My mate always surf turners beach but usually twice while we are down there we surf Angouire and Spookies. Angourie is the SEX and Spookies is pretty is just plain scary because of all the rocks and shit.We have so much fun at angourie surf all morning, get out have lunch , Jump off the cliffs there than have another surf. When im in brisbane we drive down to surf burleigh or snapper

Me paddling out at Spookies it goes into the rocks and around the headland

Funky Frypan

Likes Dirt
Don't know if anyone watched 60 minutes last night (don't know why I did) but there is a new surf spot down Tassie. Its called Pedra Branca. Its just a huge rock sticking out of the ocean. But has some big swell (20+).

Anyway... I've been surfing for about a year now. Been loving every minute. Nothing huge has happened. The ray I mistook (sp) for a rock.:mad: yeah no fun.

There are more pictures at http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/...lideshow&subsectionid=147674&subsectionname=s

Attachments

Last edited:

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
It looks like a less mean version of cyclops. It's obviously not a secret spot, or will be, as 60 minutes gave away pretty much the waves exact location. Locals will be pissed

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know if anyone watched 60 minutes last night (don't know why I did) but there is a new surf spot down Tassie. Its called Pedra Branca. Its just a huge rock sticking out of the ocean. But has some big swell (20+).

Anyway... I've been surfing for about a year now. Been loving every minute. Nothing huge has happened. The ray I mistook (sp) for a rock.:mad: yeah no fun.

There are more pictures at http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/...lideshow&subsectionid=147674&subsectionname=s
I saw bits and pieces of that last night, the wave looks the goods! But nothing quite get smy attention when it comes to big waves quite like this shot (im sure everyone has seen it, but still! It always makes me wonder what sort of crazy drugs Laird is on!)

Benduro

Likes Dirt
Crowds have tripled past few years - why does everyone want to be a surfer?
I reckon it would be a nightmare to learn once you have reached 25yrs old (i am 38 been surfing my whole life and am still progressing)
I blame the wetsuits...They've got way better in the past 5 or so years, way lighter, better stretch, more warmth etc. It's made it way to comfortable and easy for those who previously wouldn't have had a paddle:( It's so hard to get a wave now down here in Vic...Even in the middle of winter:mad:
Of course, the 'sea change' phenomenum can't have helped the situation!

Might have to make-up a shark sighting story to clear out the water:D

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I blame the wetsuits...They've got way better in the past 5 or so years, way lighter, better stretch, more warmth etc. It's made it way to comfortable and easy for those who previously wouldn't have had a paddle:( It's so hard to get a wave now down here in Vic...Even in the middle of winter:mad:

Haha!! This is sooo true!! All the asians trying to have a go as well, they have their massive blue boards! It was just saturday there was a guy catching everything and just being plain annoying because he would cath anything with his super long baord, yet as soon as he caught it he would stack. Where abouts in vic do you surf? Are you over the Torquay side of the works? or phillip island side? Or perhaps elsewhere? If your at phillip island, there are a few breaks none of the tourists will hit and are garunteed crowd free, one being express point :) Another being...well I dont know if it has a name ot be honest but its a 10-15 min paddle around from a small beach cove.

jumpers

Likes Dirt

Good point -didnt think about wettie issue. Also farkin gumbies see pros surfing perfect waves on dream tour and think our waves are like that.
Used shark sightings couple times especially during early:D

re the laird photo - i reckon he should have stalled - Ross Clarke Jones would:cool:

stabbsy

Likes Dirt
yeah the tourists might be out and about, i live on the coast and given the past couple of weekends it has been insane already, but crowds may not be the biggest problem this summer, those stand up paddle boards look ridiclous (sp?) and are huge and unmanouvorable and people are begining to use them as an alternative to learn to start surfing and they are a menace. i was out for a surf the other day in smalish crappy swell and some guy on a stand up paddle board thought all he had to do was paddle really fast and hit the wave, but he only narrowly ,missed me, was unable to get off the wave due to the size of the board and inexperience and then proceded to almost hit even more people.

also on the wetsuits i bought a new wettie the other day for the first time in a while and was shocked at how much they have andvanced, and remembered when a couple of years ago it was a big deal to have a fully sealed suit, now technology has advanced so you can have a sealed and stretchy suit for a reasonable price.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
I'd hope none of the tourists would hit up express point, break their necks on the reef/rocks (whatever) if im thinking of the right place.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd hope none of the tourists would hit up express point, break their necks on the reef/rocks (whatever) if im thinking of the right place.
Lol yeah you got the right place, its a shallow reef, sweet waves though, mate has a photo on his camera from about a week or so ago, no shit 12ft surf. One of the nicest days I have ever seen! IF a tourist was even standing on the edge i'd paddle in and tell them to head around the corner to smiths, it'd be near suicide for someone who is learning or new to surfing.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haven't surfed in a bout 8 years last time was during a cyclone at burleigh got smashed onto rocks.

i bodyboard from time to time usually after and all nighter, my friend lives in miami so when i crash at his we go for a bit of a booge .......normally ends in me spewing in the ocean not good.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
yeah the tourists might be out and about, i live on the coast and given the past couple of weekends it has been insane already, but crowds may not be the biggest problem this summer, those stand up paddle boards look ridiclous (sp?) and are huge and unmanouvorable and people are begining to use them as an alternative to learn to start surfing and they are a menace. i was out for a surf the other day in smalish crappy swell and some guy on a stand up paddle board thought all he had to do was paddle really fast and hit the wave, but he only narrowly ,missed me, was unable to get off the wave due to the size of the board and inexperience and then proceded to almost hit even more people.

also on the wetsuits i bought a new wettie the other day for the first time in a while and was shocked at how much they have andvanced, and remembered when a couple of years ago it was a big deal to have a fully sealed suit, now technology has advanced so you can have a sealed and stretchy suit for a reasonable price.
Yep we cop those stand up paddlers also. Whats the point of it? There was a reason that boards were made shorter and lighter - its this retro sufing craze - same as the amt people who are riding 1970's single fins or fishes

maxybon1234

Likes Dirt
Yeah I ride a shark biscuit/speed hump (body board), and proud of it. I haven't been out in the water since about February (which is also when I decided to take my phone out into the water with me - wow that ruined a good day!). I usually surf at the spots that surround Bells, been to winkipop a coupla times and loved it, but my two most memorable sesh's were once in down at Blacknose point in Portland, me, my brother and my old man had a perfect 4-5ft point break all to ourselves with blueskies and a perfect wind. The other was at Point Addis with my old man, it was about 8ft with an occasional 10ft bomb that'd come out of nowhere, my dad couldn't get out into the water casue he kept getting washed back in so it was me and a stand up way out the back. I was managing to pick up this suck rock thing right out on the end of the point where the wave'd roll in at about 6 ft then jump in height 3 ft and you'd nearly free fall down the face of the wave (hopefully not plough into the rock that sits infront of the take off...). The winds worked well for about an hour then it turned on shore wich made sitting 75m out to sea in a now choppy 8ft swell rather scary. it was my first surf in reasonably big waves, it was great.

But on another note, that wave of Laird's at Chope's is absolutely nuts!! good thing he didn;t come off coz Chopes' reef is like a mega cheese grater. But by god it hurts when you hit the reef, thankgod in Vicco, it's just hard rock and no sharp coral, then again... OK I'm rambling now, there's my 2c for now.