Suggestions for kids/youths cycling clothes?

wilso1

Likes Bikes
I know it's a vets forums, but it seems the most common place to post questions about kids.

My 8yo is getting more interested in mtbing, but his fair skin means we have to be pretty vigilant about protecting it from UV, which thankfully he doesn't object to. Aside from the back of his neck, I worry most about his arms, so I'm looking for long sleeves (he always wears gloves which makes it easy to cover the back of the hands).

Does anyone have suggestions for kid/youth sized cycling clothes? Given we're doing XC I'm after something which is closer to road clothing than something really baggy (and to stop him pulling up the sleeves).
- CRC is coming up with motocross type tops
- Ground Effect only has short sleeves on their website.
- Bike24 is giving me nothing.
- Womens clothes will come in smaller sizes, but let's save that for emergencies.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

scblack

Leucocholic
My daughters are almost the same age. We dress them in track pants, or leggings. And a long sleeved t-shirt or a light jumper. Admittedly we are mostly considering protecting them in case of falls more than the sun.

For sun protection purposes, maybe a swimming rashie type of top could work too, they are often long sleeve. But maybe that would be too hot for cycling. It would depend on the air-wick-ability of the fabric.

This might not work, but I reckon a large size road arm warmer would fit a 8yo leg. That would possibly be a solution to cut out the sun for legs.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I know it's a vets forums, but it seems the most common place to post questions about kids.

My 8yo is getting more interested in mtbing, but his fair skin means we have to be pretty vigilant about protecting it from UV, which thankfully he doesn't object to. Aside from the back of his neck, I worry most about his arms, so I'm looking for long sleeves (he always wears gloves which makes it easy to cover the back of the hands).

Does anyone have suggestions for kid/youth sized cycling clothes? Given we're doing XC I'm after something which is closer to road clothing than something really baggy (and to stop him pulling up the sleeves).
- CRC is coming up with motocross type tops
- Ground Effect only has short sleeves on their website.
- Bike24 is giving me nothing.
- Womens clothes will come in smaller sizes, but let's save that for emergencies.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
BMX/motocross tops are the go.

I got used them racing BMX and now use them for XC in the warmer months in preference to sunscreen.

Wick moisture and protect from UV (and help a little from gravel rash in an off).

Rasher tops are very hot and sweaty to ride in.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found Pearl Izumi makes kid sized nicks, I got my boy some and they seem ok. He won't wear them alone though so he wears some board shorts over the top. He is wearing a vented soccer top which wicks sweat away well but has a couple of MX jerseys for cooler weather. When I take him out on rocky stuff he wears a pair of POC elbow guards as knee guards, they fit perfectly. I'm struggling to find adequate elbow guards small enough though, most junior mtb stuff is still too big. Flats with skate shoes, a small 661 Recon and some kids MX gloves complete the kit. All in bright colours so I and other trail users can easily see him.

Last edited:

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Some excellent kids jerseys here: http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/clothing/childrens-clothing Although you may need to get them delivered (not sure if they sell direct to Australians)

It seems like you can only get short sleeved jerseys for kids. You could team them up with some sun sleeves like this http://www.velogear.com.au/clothing/cycling-clothing/arm-leg-warmers/bellwether-sun-sleeves.html

They might be a bit baggy but the smallest should do it

Hmm... They have a SpongeBob jersey!

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
BMX/motocross tops are the go.

I got used them racing BMX and now use them for XC in the warmer months in preference to sunscreen.

Wick moisture and protect from UV (and help a little from gravel rash in an off).

Rasher tops are very hot and sweaty to ride in.
This ^^.... Check out the youth Jerseys at a Moto shop. Our 4 & 5 Yr olds are racing BMX this year and we got them Jerseys and pants. The pants were expensive($90) while the jerseys were $35. The pants are thick and hot with some additional Velcro/removable padding on the hips. The jerseys are thin, light and breasy. The neckline is also tightish fit which gives good sun protection. They haven't had any problems with heat which includes wearing a fullface, but I think it's mainly due to the light jersey...... or they're just so dam fast...hahaha

wilso1

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the ideas there guys. The fishing apparel is a good out-of-left-field option I hadn't considered.
There are often good ideas in other sports - it reminds me of a winter cycling glove review I read where their best glove (warmth, dexterity) was a XC snow glove (yep, this was not in Australia).

DJR

Likes Dirt
As others have said, Moto shops have a good range of long sleeve jerseys, they'll also have gloves etc.

Pants wise nylon/polyester boardshorts or cotton cargo shorts can be good.