Sudden rise in Blood Pressure!!

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
First a bit of background
I am 39 yo, Been riding off and on for most of my life, Started with road racing at 13 and then transferred to MTB around 17. Last decent burst of fitness was around 6 years ago. Very fit, Finished the Kona 100km (UK) MTB race in 5:45 with a snapped seatpost at 20km.

Anyway, Mortgage, babies and job took their toll. Weight came on Started training in March at 107kg for 180cm tall. Very active but not fit.

Blood pressure has always been good, Gave blood every 3 months so have a good history but usually around 118/70 (March 2011) sort of values. Good iron. low cholesterol.

Anyway, time to get back on the bike, March/April this year I started to train. Weight was around 107kg.
Gave blood in Late june and BP (146/84) Didn't really take notice. Weight coming off slowly, 104kg
Anyway, Started to get a little run down, Rode the Dwellingup 100 MTB event last weekend, Average HR of 163 for 7 hours. Went too hard at the start, good 30km, bad 30-60km, good 60-100km. Always been able to hold a high heart rate, not concerned but good focus for training to reduce. Happy with the achievement but long way to go. weight down to 101kg.
Been plagued by sore throats etc since I started training ( 3months) so in for a medical. BP was 160/90. Cripes.

No history of blood pressure, I am a big build, always been physical so my high weight is more getting soft than majorly fat.

Is this an age thing?, Something else? Waiting for the medical results to come back. Was on cold and flu tabs with my medical. Minor or major influence?

cjaty

Likes Dirt
Worked with a fellow about 18 tears ago when I was doing my appreticeship his bloodpressure would get so high some days it would make his nose bleed,not from stress or overdoing it but it was just something he had.I've seen people lead the most unhealty life and never get sick,luck of the draw I think

MTB Rod

Likes Bikes
Hi Dusty
On my non biking days I fill in my time as a GP
Main thing to do is not to get too worked up about single readings -esp if you were not well etc.
Cold and flu tabs can also influence your BP as you have pointed out
Wait until you have another reading done-get to the doc with time to spare so you can sit and rest etc -hopefully will be lower
Trust your doc -if it is genuinely elevated on a few occasions you may need tests for secondary causes(given your history of recent elevation) which they will exclude
Main message is be sensible and follow it up -even if it needs treatment with meds eventually it will not stop you biking etc
Quite the opposite the doc will tell you it's the best therapy!
Cheers

Minlak

custom titis
I have a family history of high blood pressure and if my reading is up they usually take it again in the other arm and see if it is up as well....They also do it a second time manually as the auto machines seem to be less accurate.

Go to a GP before work appointment when not rushed or day off if you can as said above and get em to see.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Well.

Another thing has come up as well. Low iron, Had a reading of 40 and really should be in the 100s

Took the test another day and got 137/80. Lot better but no ideal. Still have cough so hopefully will settle once that has gone.

Have two weeks left before the cape to cape. Really not the ideal time, Taken the last 2 weeks off to try and clear this cough.