Stupid Laws

Mojo

Likes Dirt
[$@M];1063322 said:
You also have to have a working brake, front or back from memory.
im pretty sure its aussie standard to have a front and back working brake, was disscussing with a shop owner about some bmx's that get imported stock without one so they had to put it on, does that mean they can confiscate it for not having a front brake?

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no its australian standard for them to be sold with a front and back brake, but i was reading somewhere cant remember but you only need one working brake which suprised me

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
but the reflectors and bell and confiscating thing, cummon so much for a free country, they can take your bike for not having a set of reflectors and a bell?
Yeah, what do you mean I can't rob banks and rape 5 year olds??! I thought this was a free country??!!:eek::eek::mad::mad:

Dude, grow up.

The law is that you must have the appropriate safety devices fitted to a vehicle. A bike must have a bell, lights if travelling at night and the rider must have a lid on.

If this is not the case, then the law deems that you are a danger to those around you and yourself. So to defuse this danger, they confiscate your bike (probably returnable after a fine paid or something) and that way you cannot hurt anyone.

Regardless whether I agree with it, that's the law. Maybe you should grow up a little bit instead of coming up with stupid crap like "Free country maaaan!". Come on dude, use your head. I'm not asking you to put a bell on your bike, just to look at the world with the eyes of an adult and understand how things work.

How is one meant to fark the machine if one does not know how said machine works? HHhhmmmmm????!

Mojo

Likes Dirt
haha i have a love hate relationship with your wisdom johny, it always puts me in my place but it always opens my eyes. are you sure you not related to jesus???

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
Yeah i understand were you're coming from about moronic laws and what not, but it sounds like you were a bit disrespectful to the police. Now i dunno about you, but i know if you want any chance of getting away with a stupid law, you be nice and polite not arrogant and sarcastic

Nelly

Likes Bikes
Mate i've been fined before for not wearing a helmet. When i comes to dealing with cops, in my experience they have made up their mind weather or not they are going to ticket you before they even say hello. Usually they're just having a shit day and have some belief that making your day suck will make theirs better. I hold off on the smart arse comments untill they start writing the ticket......... then i let fly.
But for little things like helmets and reflectors i think they need to be reminded that they might be on a little power trip.
Don't get me wrong i cop it on the chin if i deserved the ticket (usually the case if i get caught speeding). I can never think of a good excuse!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
haha i have a love hate relationship with your wisdom johny, it always puts me in my place but it always opens my eyes. are you sure you not related to jesus???
I like to think I am..., But I can never get the last nail in???:confused:

For some reason, some cops love being heroes to kids on bikes. Some of them can be so irrational just so they can use their authoritaaaah. Just like forum moderators, they think they're so tough. Why I outa....!

BJ-

Rota Imports
What i dont get is...

Why the cops fine and give me and the local bike riders (were all in our 20s) a hard time in our area when we walk our bikes across the road from the park (without a helmet or with it un-done) to get a drink or food. But they let the 15 year old g-unit wannabee's who hang out 50m down the road at the local toilets, who should be at school smoke and drink during the middle of the day.

Were not breaking the law, we dont smoke and we dont drink in public like the yonger kids because we have lives ard arnt stupid. Yet they give us a hard time and let them get away the things ive mentioned and much much more.

Sorry but im not a fan of the police at all. Ive met and know some good police (some are friends and family) but the majority of cops ive met or dealt with have been lazy douchbags that pick on bike riders. Not to mention the local wankers who 'police' my town...

Cooch

Likes Dirt
I know this is talking about the Police and Australian Laws, but I also think the point of the initial post is the "picking on" of an urban rider.

I get hassled a lot by adults when I ride my bmx around. Once I was sitting on my bike on a footpath putting my helmet on. This old guy walks up to me and starts going off at me about riding on the footpath.

Here's the funny bit: I take off my helmet, stand up and look at him in the eye - then the old fella's face changes when he realises I'm not 13, but in fact 36!! This is what I said to him

"Mate, First thing, I'm not riding it. Second, by riding my bike here has meant you can park your farkin' car in the car park - so back off and think about what you say next time"

He was white as a ghost!! I guess, blue jeans, black T-shirt, black helmet on a bmx - you look like a snotty nose 13 year old up to trouble :D Not some half-decent gentleman of a dude who decides to leave his car at home!!!

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just gotta say:

"don't wear a helmet, don't need a head"

and cops can be pricks because they can get away with it. they will hassle you for things like no helmet (which is fair enough) and then when you turn into a smartarse they find other things that they cannot logically complain about, but can do it legally. they probably can confiscate your bike, but most wouldn't go to the trouble, unless they want to get at you for some reason.

as for people hassling bike riders like the old guy - most people say that kids these days (and not referring to this semi-decent gentleman) don't get out enough, they just sit at home, playing computer games, taking drugs and playing with themselves. but when they get out and 'get some fresh air', 'do some exercise' and in general not bother anyone (except for DJs and skate park riders:D) they complain twice as much.

that's my 2 lots of $0.02.

Disturbed.Rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Heros wear helmets whenever they fly!"

Perhaps the cops who hassle kids have a quota of some description for giving out tickets?

stoff

Likes Dirt
I was over in Germany a few years ago, staying with the family of my then girlfriend. Her sister in law was riding around her uni campus, became distracted, and fell off her bike. She wasn't wearing a helmet and spent the next four days lying in a coma. This was at low speed on the flat.

I probably owe the fact i am alive to my trusty old yellow stackhat which came between my head and a tree when i was about five years old.

The law is there for a good reason, and it blows my mind that anyone would even contemplate riding without a helmet. If the cops fine you for not wearing one you flat out deserve it - they are only trying to protect you.

Mojo

Likes Dirt
I was over in Germany a few years ago, staying with the family of my then girlfriend. Her sister in law was riding around her uni campus, became distracted, and fell off her bike. She wasn't wearing a helmet and spent the next four days lying in a coma. This was at low speed on the flat.

I probably owe the fact i am alive to my trusty old yellow stackhat which came between my head and a tree when i was about five years old.

The law is there for a good reason, and it blows my mind that anyone would even contemplate riding without a helmet. If the cops fine you for not wearing one you flat out deserve it - they are only trying to protect you.
yeh i know they are there for that reason, its just that i have grown up riding with a full facer on over the last few years, too lazy to get a stack hat, and now i have a piss-pot it feels like its not gonna do anything if i come off. but the thing i was most annoyed about was the confiscating thing, i can cop the helmet fine for my own stupidity

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if they can confiscate cars and what not, i dont see why they can't confiscate your bike.

honesty is the best policy when it comes to handling coppers.

even if the cruisers have a kilo of hammer in their pockets, they aren't the ones that have attracted a bad name to themselves.
street bikes + bmx (riders) are the ones that cause trouble because they deface public property.

BJ-

Rota Imports
if they can confiscate cars and what not, i dont see why they can't confiscate your bike.

honesty is the best policy when it comes to handling coppers.

even if the cruisers have a kilo of hammer in their pockets, they aren't the ones that have attracted a bad name to themselves.
street bikes + bmx (riders) are the ones that cause trouble because they deface public property.
Oh okay... So anyone who rides a BMX or Street Hardtail is a criminal now?

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was approached by the police and offered a fine for sitting on my bike without a helmet. I was stationary, and the police hadn't witnessed me riding, as I'd been talking on the phone for roughly 10minutes in that spot.

Sometimes their time can be better spent...