Stripped SLX crank

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
I lent my Trance out the other day and the rider managed to rip the L/H pedal clean out of the crank. Stripped the threads out completely. Does anyone know what length they would be on a Large 2012 Trance X1? Or possibly does anyone have either a L/H crank arm or a full SLX crank set they want to get rid of?

Ideate

I lent my Trance out the other day and the rider managed to rip the L/H pedal clean out of the crank. Stripped the threads out completely. Does anyone know what length they would be on a Large 2012 Trance X1? Or possibly does anyone have either a L/H crank arm or a full SLX crank set they want to get rid of?
Length should be stated on the back of the arm (probably 175).

I had this problem a few months ago with my XT cranks (hit a rock and went flying.. the video's somewhere).

c4d2d8c141a34f25964eb0be0f8b209a.jpg

A bloke on here (when I find his username I'll update this post) sent me a brand new Zee left hand crankarm for nothing. Absolute legend. There must have been some karma owing to me because it worked out perfectly. I still bought a helicoil kit (eBay link below), just because I like tools so if you're local we can try and fix it. Or.. if I can find my left hand XT arm, I'll fix it and send it to you to return the good karma to the universe and pay tribute to the bloke that helped me. Try posting a WTB thread in the meantime :spy:

$_12.JPG

eBay link

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Length should be stated on the back of the arm (probably 175).

I had this problem a few months ago with my XT cranks (hit a rock and went flying.. the video's somewhere).

View attachment 329595

A bloke on here (when I find his username I'll update this post) sent me a brand new Zee left hand crankarm for nothing. Absolute legend. There must have been some karma owing to me because it worked out perfectly. I still bought a helicoil kit (eBay link below), just because I like tools so if you're local we can try and fix it. Or.. if I can find my left hand XT arm, I'll fix it and send it to you to return the good karma to the universe and pay tribute to the bloke that helped me. Try posting a WTB thread in the meantime :spy:

View attachment 329594

eBay link

I'm in WA so a bit far. I did think of helicoiling it but wasn't sure if it would be strong enough. I'll put a wanted add up. Hopefully someone has a second hand one kicking around. Cheers for your help.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends how bad it is. I rode a helicoiled XT crank for years with no probs and am a big guy AND a total hack on the bike.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Either use a bicycle specific kit like Ideate has linked to as it has a 9/16" section on the taps to get things square and round before cutting the new thread, or mount the crank in a drill press if using a typical helicoil kit. Out of round holes or not plumb are a sure fire way to end up in the fuckwits thread.

Last edited:

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Either use a bicycle specific kit like Ideate has linked to as it has a 9/16" section on the taps to get things square and round before curry the new thread, or mount the crank in a drill press if using a typical helicoil kit. Out of round holes or not plumb are a sure fire way to end up in the fuckwits thread.
Ha yeah. Defiantly don't want to be eating the stem when the pedal comes out on an steep out of the saddle sprint! Helicoils are really strong when installed properly.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ha yeah. Defiantly don't want to be eating the stem when the pedal comes out on an steep out of the saddle sprint! Helicoils are really strong when installed properly.

Yep. used in motorsport and aviation at times not for repair but added strength from the very begining

thread_img_advantage01.jpg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Won't helicoil give opposite thread to what you need for a crank/pedal?
You could run a pair of RH pedals. Use loctite and gorilla snot to lock it in and then a year later start a new "Mine pedal doth seem to be stucketh" thread prior to an appearance in the FW thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just wrap the pedal stub with solder wire (or a similar soft metal) and drive it into the crank. The solder with fill the gaps.and grab on real tight. For added hold use some loctite and hope for galvanic corrosion.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just wrap the pedal stub with solder wire (or a similar soft metal) and drive it into the crank. The solder with fill the gaps.and grab on real tight. For added hold use some loctite and hope for galvanic corrosion.
Are ya able to fix this for me please and thankyou, I will supply the lead solder.

Transittion.JPG

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are ya able to fix this for me please and thankyou, I will supply the lead solder.

View attachment 329609
Someone doesn't understand metallurgy! That frame is aluminium, so you'll need aluminium sheeting to make a sleeve for the cracks. Then pressure weld it together. Don't worry I've a roll of the sheeting here. Just post me the frame.

DSC_1170~2.jpg

I'll use the vacuum cleaner to create a reverse inner inverse vacuum for the pressure welding. You'll be good as new in no time.

Seems legit........
100% brah!