stop it!

0psi

Eats Squid
shop - "have you ever ridden one?"'
me - "yes, around a car park"
And there you have it.

The reason shops push 29ers is because most people who knock them, like yourself, haven't ridden one.

What you don't see is the constant stream of people walking into shops saying 29ers are shit without having ridden one. I'm not sure if they are the new hipsters or just old and afraid of change. I've had a few friends (all very good riders and industry professionals) who we're adamant they would be 26 till death. One of them was forced onto a 29er after cracking his frame and none of the current 26" frames had a TT long enough for him. I think he summed it up the best when he said it does some things better and others worse. Another friend was made to ride both 29ers and 650's at a recent launch and ended up (somewhat secretly to avoid mockery) ordering one that afternoon.

Mountain bikes are ridden on dirt and rocks, not carparks. Go ride one before you say they are shit. For what it's worth though 29er probably isn't for you 650 on the other hand could be a winner.

floody

Wheel size expert
What's wrong with it? Ignoring the couple of criteria that a customer has specified is the problem.
Oh Draaaaaamaaaaaa.

I'm looking at the original post right now. I'm sure the ensuing conversation would not have gone like this:
OP: "Yeah I really am only interested in 26" bikes though"
Salesperson: "GTFO!"

It probably went more like:
OP:"Yeah I really am only interested in 26" bikes though"
Salesperson: "Fair enough, just thought you might like to consider all the options. Anyway in a 26" bike we have available X, Y and Z. X descends the best but doesn't climb so well, Y is a better climber but a bit steeper in the angles and Z is a workhorse that does both quite well, maybe not as good as the others, but is a fair bit cheaper and still a fun bike. We also have a 29er which is a really fun AM rig but we'll leave that for now"
OP (fuming at not being immediately offered a plethora of 26" options): "Yeah thanks but no thanks" [goes home to complain on the web]

I've sold bikes, I believe reasonably successfully. Perhaps my failing is trying to figure out what would suit a customer from the needs they describe, rather than what image they have in their head; I'd like them to roll out the door and have a great riding experience, not just ignore half the range because of a wheel diameter and potentially miss out on something great. But of course if they have a predetermined idea, I'm not going to argue the point with them, I'm going to shut up and take their money.

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
Strava and 29ers. F#cking the sport more and more each day.
Only cause you can't get near a top time...

Plus your a kook who rides with his shirt off all round the world. Full narcissist with your total riding motivation being self portraits to tell your non-riding pals you're full spono'd..that's killing it for our Aussie rep!
Seriously what's your motivation...you have a long list of people who talk shit about you. I'm being totally honest here. I don't mtb much anymore but when I do the beaches area you always are mentioned.
I feel for ya pal..

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh Draaaaaamaaaaaa.

I'm looking at the original post right now. I'm sure the ensuing conversation would not have gone like this:

Salesperson: "Fair enough, just thought you might like to consider all the options. Anyway in a 26" bike we have available X, Y and Z. X descends the best but doesn't climb so well, Y is a better climber but a bit steeper in the angles and Z is a workhorse that does both quite well, maybe not as good as the others, but is a fair bit cheaper and still a fun bike. We also have a 29er which is a really fun AM rig but we'll leave that for now"
OP (fuming at not being immediately offered a plethora of 26" options): "Yeah thanks but no thanks" [goes home to complain on the web]

I've sold bikes, I believe reasonably successfully. Perhaps my failing is trying to figure out what would suit a customer from the needs they describe, rather than what image they have in their head; I'd like them to roll out the door and have a great riding experience, not just ignore half the range because of a wheel diameter and potentially miss out on something great. But of course if they have a predetermined idea, I'm not going to argue the point with them, I'm going to shut up and take their money.
+1, I've had much the same experiences.

I don't ride a 29er. But I believe that they're the better bike for 75% of people at the moment simply because that's where the development dollars are going. Maybe you got a shit salesman that struggles with communication (but is probably a good bike rider), or a roadie (who is told to sell 29ers, we can't all know everything about every bike), or maybe you had your head shoved up your ass.

There's a lot of bad shops out there unfortunately.. But if you hunt around I guarantee you'll find a great shop that will serve you well for many years.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

rednightmare

Likes Dirt

Plus your a kook who rides with his shirt off all round the world. Full narcissist with your total riding motivation being self portraits to tell your non-riding pals you're full spono'd..that's killing it for our Aussie rep!
Seriously what's your motivation...you have a long list of people who talk shit about you. I'm being totally honest here. I don't mtb much anymore but when I do the beaches area you always are mentioned.
I feel for ya pal..
Some things are best left for PMs, no?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
As both a rider and a bike shop employee, I'm somewhat pissed off at our major supplier (Giant) not offering any XC/trail bikes in 26". I'm not anti-29er, but I'm not convinced that they're the ultimate solution that certain marketing departments would like us to believe. I guess that's why I'm a mechanic & not a salesman - I don't swallow the mucketing guff without putting it to the test, and as such I can't pass it on blindly or bluff my way through something I don't fully believe. Yes they have advantages over 26ers in many situations, but there are times when a tight short-travel 26er is the better bike. I haven't yet had a chance to ride a 650/27.5er, but I'm keen to give it a shot.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As both a rider and a bike shop employee, I'm somewhat pissed off at our major supplier (Giant) not offering any XC/trail bikes in 26".
im with you here. Compare the Specialized AUS site to the US site. For example, the stump jumper fsr.
There is only one Stumpy fsr that you can get in Australia that comes in 26 inch. Whereas in the USA, ever model of stumpy comes in 26 and 29 inch.
way to kill the market

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
Oh Draaaaaamaaaaaa.

No mate, not all, the conversation(s) after getting over the 29er/650lb/26" intro were of course very pleasant and useful, no fuming on the internet required there. It's not really about getting 'the sales pitch' for me, i'd just like to go in, have a chat about a bike and if it fits the criteria I'm after, have a spin.

The shops were helpful, after the initial "why don't you want to try a 29er?" are you thick? look/tone of voice. It feels like something they've put on at the start of a pitch so many times since the 29er thing happened, persuading persuading persuading. Look, so many of us have done our research, we know what components work, we know what we're after, we just go the shop a)to support LBS b)to look at things in the flesh c)test ride d)for a pleasant chin wag with someone like minded who, yes, is trying to sell you something.

After a chat, a run down of the bikes that he/she reckons might suit what i'm after, then throw in the 29er thing, dont open with it, thats what irks me, 2 occasions, 2 exchanges in, im already being given the slanty eyed look for not immediately getting excited about big wheels. Doesn't matter what or how i ride, sales 101 is to make the customer feel comfortable.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I feel for ya pal..

In that case maybe you should try and ride more instead of being a f#ckwit on the Internet.

Jezza K

Likes Dirt
I know this prob isn't the right thread but at the recent flow coaster round one guy was rocking a 29" front 26" back. Would seem it might give you the acceleration on a 26" with the bump leveling of a 29".

What do people think. I'd be keen to try this

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I know this prob isn't the right thread but at the recent flow coaster round one guy was rocking a 29" front 26" back. Would seem it might give you the acceleration on a 26" with the bump leveling of a 29".

I think he's a wanker.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I believe the type of bike Jezza observed is referred to as a "69er". Now if the rider has a 69er available to him, he is unlikely to be resorting to manual relief.......
You have it back to front...29 front, 26 rear ...its a 96er...hence the need for manual relief

piggy pie

Likes Bikes

dunno whether they changed geo for it but big hits used to use 24 rear and 26 front and they seemed to be pretty quick off the mark, and they are pretty cheap to buy now

moorey

call me Mia
dunno whether they changed geo for it but big hits used to use 24 rear and 26 front and they seemed to be pretty quick off the mark, and they are pretty cheap to buy now
I ran 24" rear on my 222 back in the day. Compensated for geo by shortening the stanchions a little and playing with the shuttle on the shock mount. Main reason i did it was that the tyre buzzed the seat and hit the seat tube running a big 26".
I was very quick of the mark with the 24", even if it might not have rolled as well, but i was never competative enough to have that matter.
My mate runs a HT 69er. He likes it, but doesn't do anything for me. I'd consider running a good sized 27.5 up front on my trail bike with a specific 650b fork.....yes, i'm that much of a wanker...:lol: