stop it!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some shops are trying to sell what they have, some genuinely try to help you get the right bike.
Last week was looking for a road bike. Told them was looking for relaxed geometry, 40 years old and not racing. They tried to point me to the time trial bike they just happened to have on the rack.
Same thing when I was looking for the AM bike, banged on about this special on the xc race machine that I really should buy.
Both of those shops were quickly put off the list.
I guess it must work sometimes, customers walk out with a good buy that they had not previously considered, or a totally unsuitable bike for the intended riding

ozimad

Likes Dirt
Oh myy we have progressed so well... now back to wheel size....

I believe most shops are going to push where there profits lay considering how tough it is for most LBS to make money these days. I also think there are some but not many that will sell you what you prefer not considering profit margins.

I dont understand how these manufacturers decide on what to bring where as whilst looking for my 2012 Stumpy Evo I found it hard to find and kept being told they had sold like hotcakes.. Yet Specialized did not bring one into Aus for 2013 however was available for NZ.. WTF

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buy all the 26" bikes you can, cause in 18 months - 2 years it will all be 650 and 29".
Must admit this is looking pretty spot on, worries me as I'm a 26 inch holdout. Wasd having a quick look the other day, after I found out the no longer make Yeti ARCs, at my fav brands and the 26in pickings were slim. If you were wanting something mid to high end. Only happiness I found was at Dean, IF and Seven... I'm sure there are others out there, but they're dwindling rapidly

frensham

Likes Dirt
Must admit this is looking pretty spot on, worries me as I'm a 26 inch holdout. Wasd having a quick look the other day, after I found out the no longer make Yeti ARCs, at my fav brands and the 26in pickings were slim. If you were wanting something mid to high end. Only happiness I found was at Dean, IF and Seven... I'm sure there are others out there, but they're dwindling rapidly
and Lynskey http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I was all cashed up and ready to build a new bike this year, but have decided to hold out for Santa Cruz's 650b specific offering, whenever that comes out. I reckon pretty soon though, especially with the popularity of the Intense Carbine in 650.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You're just like the salesman in the original post then.
Not necessarily, it can be read two ways. One, like you assume, is that he will push commuters to 29ers. The other is that only commuters are the ones buying 29ers - "Proper" MTB riders are still wanting to buy 26ers.

floody

Wheel size expert
Not necessarily, it can be read two ways. One, like you assume, is that he will push commuters to 29ers. The other is that only commuters are the ones buying 29ers - "Proper" MTB riders are still wanting to buy 26ers.
The second one is BS so it must be the first. If all the proper MTB riders only buy 26" bikes, they must only ride at night or extremely early in the morning, because they're nowhere to be seen.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
im with you here. Compare the Specialized AUS site to the US site. For example, the stump jumper fsr.
There is only one Stumpy fsr that you can get in Australia that comes in 26 inch. Whereas in the USA, ever model of stumpy comes in 26 and 29 inch.
way to kill the market
I rode last year's one in the 26 and much preferred it over the 29... went to get one this year and only the one model available. Ok can I have one of those please... Sorry there is no stock. .. but we can give you a 29... no thanks.

Ended up getting a cannondale jekyll and loving it.. fast handling and you can still pick any line. I have not yet risen a 29 that is agile enough for me to enjoy.

If I did xc racing then I might consider it but for general shredding fun no 29er had felt better than a 26er.

Just trying to get hold of a 26er for a test ride these days is near on impossible

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I did xc racing then I might consider it but for general shredding fun no 29er had felt better than a 26er.
I hear this arguement all the time??

I have a Rocky Mountain Slayer that is an awesomely fun bike to ride. I enjoy steep, technical rooty stuff more than flat out jumps. I used the Slayer exclusively for this sort of riding and love it's stiffness and plush travel.

Recently I bought a Transition Bandit 29 that has 20mm less travel than the Slayer and 34's instead of 36ers. It is one of the new generation 29ners that are slack and short. I have ridden them back to back on the same trails and, yes, the bandit is not as stiff as the Slayer but the big wheels cope with the choppy, rooty stuff much better than the 26" wheels. I actually feel that the Bandit is more capable for this type of riding.

The Bandit is not a race bike, it is a fun bike. The Slayer is better at higher speeds and jumping. They are both different and are equally as much fun to ride...

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
My statement was made after trying a whole heap of similarly priced 29ers including the stumpy fsr, santa cruz tallboy, pivot 429, carbon gt sensor 29 and none wanted to change direction like their counterpart 26... I have not ridden rocky mountain bikes so cannot comment there. If you are from out my way I would be Keen to exchange bikes at gap creek on a trail of you believe it is that much better.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My statement was made after trying a whole heap of similarly priced 29ers including the stumpy fsr, santa cruz tallboy, pivot 429, carbon gt sensor 29 and none wanted to change direction like their counterpart 26... I have not ridden rocky mountain bikes so cannot comment there. If you are from out my way I would be Keen to exchange bikes at gap creek on a trail of you believe it is that much better.
I live in Townsville. The trails I was describing are up in the rainforest behind Cairns and more recently, Rotorua. You are probably correct in saying that most 26" bikes will turn quicker than a 29". That is not the point I was trying to make. I am not talking about riding tight singletrack with switchbacks, that's XC.

I am talking about dropping into a steep, root infested line down through thick rainforest. That's my idea of fun. It's on this style of trail that the big wheels come into their own, as long as the rest of the geometry allows it.