XC STOLEN 6/9/16 Yeti ASR Carbon Bling - 9.9kg

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On my ASRc I've settled on a 2.35 Ardent f and Icon 2.2 r and its working really well.
Rear shock pressure is critical, I run 165 at 88kg and really notice if it drops 5-10psi. Never use the C position, and really only for Rotorua and Buller Epic have I used the D position. I'm using a SID 120 on the front.
I swapped to a small bottle for the above problem.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Alright, thanks for all the help guys, things are looking a bit more promising now.

Firstly I had the fork serviced, wheels trued, brakes bled at the LBS. I also had them put some 2.2 Ikon's on there. I decided to get the 3C Exo TR tyres which are about 100g heavier than the Racing Ralph's but should be a fair bit more durable. I've only been for one ride so far and I'm impressed. The rolling resistance with the eye of faith seems about the same but I think the cornering grip is actually a bit better. The only down side is they tend to lock up a bit quicker under brakes.

IMG_4699 (1).jpg

What's the internal width of your rim? Sucks that you can't run a 2.35 ikon on the rear for it..
I'm riding Light Bicycle carbon rims with a 22mm internal width, pretty wide for XC but it bags the tyres up nicely. Because I'm a light weight (67kg ish) I'm running 20psi in the front and 23psi in the rear. The Ikon 2.35 looked like it had plenty of clearance, but giving it the beans down Thredbo has caused some rubbing on the frame from flex. The 2.2 feels noticeably faster to accelerate though, so I'm happy with the swap.

I also had the LBS check out the shock position. Unfortunately the shock cannot be reversed due to the shape of the swing arm. I think the cheapest thing to do will be to file the drink bottle cage down so it sits slightly lower in the frame. Failing that I guess I'll get a smaller drink bottle and one of the Wolftooth things....

With a fresh service and some lighter tyres my Strava times are now only a whisker behind my hard tail times. I suspect a bit more suspension tuning will narrow that gap further.

I'm liking the frame more and more now, whilst washing it I came across this little detail on the swing arm that I hadn't seen before.

IMG_4701.jpg

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I also had the LBS check out the shock position. Unfortunately the shock cannot be reversed due to the shape of the swing arm. I think the cheapest thing to do will be to file the drink bottle cage down so it sits slightly lower in the frame. Failing that I guess I'll get a smaller drink bottle and one of the Wolftooth things....
What about something like this

Used to mount a Di2 battery Below the cage, but could be used to lower the cage position. Probably about $5 and 15 minutes to fab up something similar DIY/fuckwits thread, style.

k3n!f

Quick update.

Whenever I upgrade something on the bike I generally make sure it is something lighter but just as strong. For the first time in a long time I've added weight to the bike.

First update was the Maxxis Ikon 2.2 tubeless ready Exo tires. These things weigh 660g each, around 110g per wheel heavier than the Racing Ralphs. It took me a bit to get used to them as I could really notice the extra weight when accelerating. I think they are a pretty good all round choice in terms of performance and reliability, but I do miss how fast the Ralphs felt. When these wear out I dunno if I'll stick with Maxxis or give Schwalbe another chance.

I have also got around to getting a 120mm fork. Thanks again to Bike Culture and Rowney Sports for helping out with this one. Given the previous frame issues I managed to get a brand new OEM one through Yeti. I've only had one ride so far and I only got 100mm travel out of them, so it might take a bit of fiddling to get the pressure right. The whole bike feels more stable going down hill with the slacker head angle, but it does feel a little more vauge when climbing. It'll probably just take a bit to get used to. Interesting to see how the new Fit4 damper goes. The 120mm fork weighs around 200g more.

The last change I've made is the saddle. I've decided in my old age that life is too short to ride with a saddle that is "pretty good, but not great". I thought I would try the Selle Italia SLR Flow. I've never tried a Selle Italia before, but they were on sale on CRC and I thought it would be worth the experiment based on their reputation. First impressions are good, but it's early days yet.

Bike is now 10.2kg. I would quite like to get it back under 10kg without loosing any performance or reliability. Any bright ideas?

Attachments

mitchy_

Llama calmer
remove the rotors... no brakes cant be any worse than those things!

120mm is certainly a good amount of travel, especially for a 29er, to tackle most things. 100mm i found came up just a little short, pardon the pun.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet ride, looks great and strikes a good balance between light, and trail worthy... A few suggestions for loosing a little more weight.

Ritchey WCS Paradigm Pedals 225g (down -85g from XTRs, also use similar mechanism)
Recon Cassette 200g for an 11/34 (down -56g from XTR although using a bit of reliability)
Tires, Maxxis are good, but there are better options from Schwalbe and Mitas (Have never had reliability issues with Schwalbe)

or

1x w/ Direct mount ring, and large range cassette, you'd only need an M9000 shiftier and cassette to go 11spd, or if you wanted to stay 10 speed there are 11-42t cassettes available (sunrace Mx3 for instance can be had for $80). That being said I get 1x is just not for some people, particularly if you are doing a fair bit of climbing. :wave:

k3n!f

go 1x and you'll find yourself back under 10kg :peep:
Oooooo don't tempt me! I would have already done this if it wasn't for two issues:

1. I think I would have to get a new crankset and the RF next SL is still working perfectly,
2. I think it would annoy me to have asymmetrical handle bars, does it bother anyone else to only have a shifter on one side?

Sweet ride, looks great and strikes a good balance between light, and trail worthy... A few suggestions for loosing a little more weight.

Ritchey WCS Paradigm Pedals 225g (down -85g from XTRs, also use similar mechanism)
Recon Cassette 200g for an 11/34 (down -56g from XTR although using a bit of reliability)
Tires, Maxxis are good, but there are better options from Schwalbe and Mitas (Have never had reliability issues with Schwalbe)

or

1x w/ Direct mount ring, and large range cassette, you'd only need an M9000 shiftier and cassette to go 11spd, or if you wanted to stay 10 speed there are 11-42t cassettes available (sunrace Mx3 for instance can be had for $80). That being said I get 1x is just not for some people, particularly if you are doing a fair bit of climbing. :wave:
I think if I changed pedals for weight I would go for Eggbeaters. The problem with XTR pedals is that they are faultless and last forever!

I haven't heard good things about the durability of Recon cassettes. Given I didn't buy an XX cassette because it would annoy me to wear out the alloy ring and not the rest, I don't think I would be thrilled with Recon.

I'll be back on Schwalbe for my next set of tires. I do miss how the bike accelerates with Racing Ralphs!

Has anyone gone 1x using a 2x 120/80BCD crankset? I spend 98% of my time on my 38T big ring, but Canberra is pretty flat compared with some places and I might be moving soon.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oooooo don't tempt me! I would have already done this if it wasn't for two issues:

1. I think I would have to get a new crankset and the RF next SL is still working perfectly,
2. I think it would annoy me to have asymmetrical handle bars, does it bother anyone else to only have a shifter on one side?

I think if I changed pedals for weight I would go for Eggbeaters. The problem with XTR pedals is that they are faultless and last forever!

I haven't heard good things about the durability of Recon cassettes. Given I didn't buy an XX cassette because it would annoy me to wear out the alloy ring and not the rest, I don't think I would be thrilled with Recon.

I'll be back on Schwalbe for my next set of tires. I do miss how the bike accelerates with Racing Ralphs!

Has anyone gone 1x using a 2x 120/80BCD crankset? I spend 98% of my time on my 38T big ring, but Canberra is pretty flat compared with some places and I might be moving soon.
Got 1x on my ASRc and love it! I had 1x 120/80 on my old bike using a 32 on the 80 and it was fine, I think you can get a 36 on the 120?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a Garbaruk 36t n/w ring on it's way to set the SRM on the Rocky Mountain up 1x. The 120BCD rings are quite difficult to find and 36t is the lowest you can get. The flip side is most 80BCD rings generally max out at 32t (Garbaruk offers a 34t).

Last edited:

k3n!f

This bike was stolen in Barton in Canberra on 6/9/16.

A very generous reward will be offered if returned.

An even more generous reward will be offered if the person who stole them is brought to me in many, many, many zip lock bags.

Please contact Ken 0438125103.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
This bike was stolen in Barton in Canberra on 6/9/16.

A very generous reward will be offered if returned.

An even more generous reward will be offered if the person who stole them is brought to me in many, many, many zip lock bags.

Please contact Ken 0438125103.
Fricken chunts! Hope you get her back in one piece.

It might be a coincidence, but Haakon has left the country....just say'n

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

k3n!f

Fricken chunts! Hope you get her back in one piece.

It might be a coincidence, but Haakon has left the country....just say'n

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt
Hahahahah good to know.

A very generous reward will be offered for their safe return.