XC STOLEN 6/9/16 Yeti ASR Carbon Bling - 9.9kg

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Wifey: What are you going to call this bike?
Me: Yolanda.
Wifey: Really? Why is this one your first girl bike?
Me: Because it has a squishy bum.

Turns out that wasn't the right thing to say...

I've been a hardtail rider since I started riding about a decade ago. Sadly my 9.1kg Yeti ARC Carbon has been subject to a series of unfortunate events and had to be replaced. Full story is documented here:
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?275395-Yeti-ARC-Carbon-9-5kg-*Update-post-26*

Fortunately Rowney Sports, Yeti and Bike Culture helped with an upgrade to a squishy bike as I am now old and infirm.

IMG_4658.jpg
IMG_4662.jpg

Took all the bits off the hard tail and gave them a scrub.
IMG_4674.jpg
IMG_4675.jpg

And then put humpty back together again with a new cassette, chain, chainrings, rotors, tires, grips and press fit bottom bracket.
IMG_4680.jpg
IMG_4695.jpg

The only issues during the build were the internal cables which look nice, but are a pain in the bum. The other issue was with a Schwalbe tire which even the bike shop couldn't get to bead. I'll have to send it back for replacement.

The fork from the hard tail is 100mm and cannot be extended. The frame is made for 120-140mm so its pretty damn low in the front end. I'll give it a go because I don't want to have to buy another fork right now, but an upgrade may be required in the future.

The bike came in a 9.9kg actual weight with pedals. Pretty happy with that with a reliable build.
Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 1.39.25 pm (1).jpg

Quick post of my old ride, may it continue to flow down single track in bike heaven.
IMG_1298.jpg

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I wish you have better luck with this one, nice looking bike. You can always get the shock tuned so that it is more firmer for the up hill power grinds.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Is that a crack I see at the seat tube junction ?
:spy:

They are certainly nice looking and light frames, will be an XC weapon.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a beautiful looking bike there.
I must ask though, how much seat post is in the frame? At the angle shown in some of the photos it looks like not very much? I appreciate it's difficult to tell from a photo.

Surely you'd get a decent amount by selling the fork you have and getting a 120mm to 140mm version so the bike ride as Yeti intended? Totally understand that there might not be a money tree in your back garden. :^)

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Just read up on your previous HT thread k3n!f - that's a bad run of luck on frames man. Yeti just isn't enough bike for you! :p

Here's hoping that a sprung rear end reduces impact forces through the frame and the ASRc holds up. Your back will appreciate it at least.

k3n!f

Your table is wrong - you have LB rims now ;-)

Cool bike!
Very observant sir. Those wheels are indeed DT Swiss 240's with Light Bicycle rims and DT Revolution spokes.

That's a beautiful looking bike there.
I must ask though, how much seat post is in the frame? At the angle shown in some of the photos it looks like not very much? I appreciate it's difficult to tell from a photo.
Good question. I have really long legs and a short body, so despite being on the border of medium/large, the medium frames feel much more comfortable. There is actually about 13cm of seat post in the frame, much more than the minimum insertion length.

Heading to Thredbo later this week for more extensive testing!

leighha

Likes Dirt
I think you can get a longer dampener cartridge for those forks that will take it to 120. Cheaper than a new fork.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
If you put the serial number into the Fox website it should give you some idea if the fork can be extended to 120mm. Some can, some can't (even with an internals swap).

k3n!f

Alrighty, time for an update.

Firstly I have checked the serial number on the Fox for with the LBS, this one cannot have a damper changed to extend it to 120mm so I'm sticking with 100mm at the moment.

Next issue on the list were the tyres. I've actually previously had a good run with Racing Ralphs, but in the last three months I've been through three rear tyres so I'm swapping to Maxxis for a bit. The last sidewall slash I got was at Thredbo and the only suitable tyre they had was an Ikon 2.35. Seems like a nice tyre for trail riding/bombing down Thredbo, but it really slows down the acceleration of the bike. The other issue I have is that it is rubbing the frame due to poor clearance. I'm swapping to Ikon 2.2 3C EXO tubeless ready tyres which seem to be a good compromise between reliability, weight and grip.

The third issue I've had with the bike is the rear shock setup. I pretty much used to set my fork the day I got a bike and just went riding, but this rear shock thing seems to need some more TLC. The Yeti book suggested 140psi which I set it for initially, but I only got about 60% of the travel. So I set it up using 20% sag as Fox suggested and ended up at 115psi and using all the travel. I dunno if it's because I ride hardtails, but it felt like riding a marshmallow and I could feel my energy being sapped when I tried to climb. I've decided to compromise with 130psi at the moment and I'll see how that goes.

The final issue is also with the rear shock. Unfortunately the clearance for my drink bottle is super tight (see picture). Because of this every time I have a drink I take a click off the rebound. I couldn't figure out why I was riding a pogo stick which tried to buck me every time I hit something hard. Does anyone know if the shock can be reversed in this frame?

I'll write a full ride report at some stage. I have to say that it's not all rainbows and unicorns. I was expecting to be super fast on this bike, but so far I've only set one PB on Strava for the AM trail at Thredbo. Maybe I need some more time to get used to the squishy thing, or maybe I have the bike set up incorrectly.

Attachments

redbruce

Eats Squid
The third issue I've had with the bike is the rear shock setup. I pretty much used to set my fork the day I got a bike and just went riding, but this rear shock thing seems to need some more TLC. The Yeti book suggested 140psi which I set it for initially, but I only got about 60% of the travel. So I set it up using 20% sag as Fox suggested and ended up at 115psi and using all the travel. I dunno if it's because I ride hardtails, but it felt like riding a marshmallow and I could feel my energy being sapped when I tried to climb. I've decided to compromise with 130psi at the moment and I'll see how that goes.
So firstly, nice work from Rowney Sports, Yeti and Bike Culture. Great to see true service, and local.

Second (but actually rwt your third) point is, while ASR linkage is typically firm to mid stroke, it often needs propedal on to really hit the mark.

Years back I selected an ASR SL (26") for my hardtail replacement based on favourable reviews by others seeking a small modicum of compliance, while not wanting to give up hardtail efficiency and response.

Like you I was a tad disappointed in outcome, unlike you, I am closer to 100kg so I had a Tekin tune (back in the days of Ben) and it transformed the bike.

While you appear (by virtue of shock pressures indicated) to be within the design zone for the OEM shock, none the less suggest a demanding rider may likely benefit from a personal tune (but after fork addressed).

My son has inherited the ASR, I now have a Spesh Epic.

Apart from the changes due to 29", in comparison, I am convinced the "brain" solution to the requirement for some suspension when needed and hardtail response elsewhere, is the "ducks nuts" :)

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeti ASR Carbon Bling - 9.9kg

With everything inside the shock being pressurised, it can be flipped inside any frame - I've done the same flippin' on the TBc:

Re: suspension setup, keep plugging away. Slowing down the rebound will make it feel a bit firmer & more crisp.

As Redbruce has stated, there's always the personal tune option. But keep playing to see if working within the OEM settings can give you what you want...

Last edited:

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
The final issue is also with the rear shock. Unfortunately the clearance for my drink bottle is super tight (see picture). Because of this every time I have a drink I take a click off the rebound. I couldn't figure out why I was riding a pogo stick which tried to buck me every time I hit something hard. Does anyone know if the shock can be reversed in this frame?
Not sure about reversing the shock but Wolftooth components used to sell a low profile rebound knob for Fox shocks. I had the same problem and this solved it for me. Not sure if they're still available though and am too lazy to Google it...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
certainly not any frame... i've had shock fitment issues that only allowed a certain orientation... it looks like the top of the air can would foul on the linkage if flipped.
ASR has plenty of room. [edit] Yeah, maybe it wouldn't squeeze in there...

When I made that statement, I didn't want people to leave their common sense at the door...

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
[reply edited] Yeah, I'd say you are right.

Only way to fix this is to run that Wolftooths knob. Kinda sucks that Yeti would fundamentally fail at clearance. Or use a bottle cage that sits lower down the downtube.