SRAM Guide RS Brakes - Lever slow to return

DJR

Likes Dirt
I have had this issue for a bit on my Guide Rs, got around to getting a new internal kit for both levers. Just for interests sake here's a photo of the updated piston on the right next to the old style on the left. It was pretty obvious the piston was sticking, when I removed it it had small score marks and discolouration from rubbing.

New Pistons fitted and bled tonight all seems well. The kit for the internals only cost me about 25 per side.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsqwkujh7yzrjbj/IMG_20170506_204507.jpg?dl=0

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Rebuilt another set of RSC over the last week.

You don't need the service tool. A short length of 1/2" water pipe allows you to seat the plastic barrel while turning the plunger receiver with a flat blade screwdriver.

The pad contact adjuster has 4.5 turns in it before it falls apart. Turn the contact adjuster assembly all the way in. Turn the plunger shaft four turns clockwise from fully out and you're good to go.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Waiting on my replacement rsc's to come in after warranty claim. Here's hoping the new ones are the good ones!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

beejay

Likes Dirt
Was desperate on Saturday night after attempting to bleed my RSC's before a race on Sunday (RRR 35km up in Port Douglas), as the piston had completely jammed in the bore. So stripped them and gave the pistons the lightest careful rub with some 1000grit sandpaper and rebuilt.
They are working like new again and were well worked with the race test and are perfect :thumb:

p.s. Thanks to link1896 for this gem;

link1896 said:
You don't need the service tool. A short length of 1/2" water pipe allows you to seat the plastic barrel while turning the plunger receiver with a flat blade screwdriver.

The pad contact adjuster has 4.5 turns in it before it falls apart. Turn the contact adjuster assembly all the way in. Turn the plunger shaft four turns clockwise from fully out and you're good to go.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Was desperate on Saturday night after attempting to bleed my RSC's before a race on Sunday (RRR 35km up in Port Douglas), as the piston had completely jammed in the bore. So stripped them and gave the pistons the lightest careful rub with some 1000grit sandpaper and rebuilt.
They are working like new again and were well worked with the race test and are perfect :thumb:

p.s. Thanks to link1896 for this gem;
Awesome work.

My comments probably made sense after you had it all apart for 10 minutes rooting around.

spyda00

Likes Bikes
hi guys
I just came across this tread, my 2016 Trek Remedy came with SRAM Guide RS brakes and they have been an absolute random nightmare since i bought the bike! when they work they are amazing brakes but for example the warm sun alone on the way to the trails can cause my brakes to lock onto the rotor!

So anyway just a couple of weeks ago i had enough and ordered a new set of XT trail brakes from Chain Reaction, should i chase sram up about these brakes or just leave be it and stick with my new XT's that work every time ?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
hi guys
I just came across this tread, my 2016 Trek Remedy came with SRAM Guide RS brakes and they have been an absolute random nightmare since i bought the bike! when they work they are amazing brakes but for example the warm sun alone on the way to the trails can cause my brakes to lock onto the rotor!

So anyway just a couple of weeks ago i had enough and ordered a new set of XT trail brakes from Chain Reaction, should i chase sram up about these brakes or just leave be it and stick with my new XT's that work every time ?
Take them back to the shop you bought the bike from and have them claim warranty. If you get them repaired/exchanged under warranty, they will be fixed and work fine again. Then you can flip the XTs or the Guides, whichever you prefer, in the trading section.

Unrepaired Guides RS' would be worth about 50 bucks.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
hi guys

Yep, known problem with earlier Guides. A redesigned internal piston fixes the issue. As link says, return them under warranty and they'll be fixed for nix. Warranty is 2 years so you should be good if you bought the bike new in 2016.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
My brakes are currently in the process of getting replaced. What's this entailed for everyone else?

Shop has said my brakes were sent to Sram, and that they need to swap the levers over and bleed them now that the warranty replacement has arrived. Wouldn't Sram have just done this and sent the brakes back to the shop ready to go?

It looks like I now have to pay for switching the levers and a brake bleed which is annoying as I can bleed my own brakes and am currently a broke uni student.

I don't want to hassle the shop as I didn't by the brakes from them due to moving interstate. It's a shame I couldn't just deal directly with Sram as I feel like a nuisance to the shop.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
My brakes are currently in the process of getting replaced. What's this entailed for everyone else?

Shop has said my brakes were sent to Sram, and that they need to swap the levers over and bleed them now that the warranty replacement has arrived. Wouldn't Sram have just done this and sent the brakes back to the shop ready to go?

It looks like I now have to pay for switching the levers and a brake bleed which is annoying as I can bleed my own brakes and am currently a broke uni student.

I don't want to hassle the shop as I didn't by the brakes from them due to moving interstate. It's a shame I couldn't just deal directly with Sram as I feel like a nuisance to the shop.
You can't deal with Sram directly, so you're always going to be at the mercy of a bike shop. I only had to pay for the bleed (also something I could do myself), but I was ultimately fine with that as I did get a brand new set of levers and the bike shops who help with these replacements should get something for their trouble. To nitpick, I'd much rather have paid them for their time in organising the replacement, but done the labour myself. Shop bleeds can be very expensive.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
My Sram warranty replacements have worked flawlessly ever since, but the XT M8000s on my other bike have required several bleeds (during the same timeframe) and now one of the levers is sticking.

spyda00

Likes Bikes
thanks for the reply guys, sadly i cant find the receipt / I bought the bike on sale while on holiday in New Zealand.
I might see my local bike shop and see what i can do, so far the Xt's have been good but i miss the modulation of the Sram's.

Take them back to the shop you bought the bike from and have them claim warranty. If you get them repaired/exchanged under warranty, they will be fixed and work fine again. Then you can flip the XTs or the Guides, whichever you prefer, in the trading section.

Unrepaired Guides RS' would be worth about 50 bucks.

Minlak

custom titis
I just picked up a Giant XTC from 2016 brand new (of course bargain priced) and it has the Guide RS brakes on it as standard. Was just about to order new brakes for it when I remembered this thread. I am just going to use them and if there is any issues warranty them. Brakes have gotten so expensive since last time I bought them and the XT 8000's seem to be also suffering long term.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I just picked up a Giant XTC from 2016 brand new (of course bargain priced) and it has the Guide RS brakes on it as standard. Was just about to order new brakes for it when I remembered this thread. I am just going to use them and if there is any issues warranty them. Brakes have gotten so expensive since last time I bought them and the XT 8000's seem to be also suffering long term.
Crazy cheap SLX m675 brakes are your friend.

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/shimano-slx-m675-disc-brake-set-right-front/BR-SH-010-1

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chances are they'll have the issue.
Ride it for a few months, and then warranty them when you have a few busy weekends. Took a couple of weeks for the front, rear was done at the shop within 24h (internal routed rear)