SRAM Guide RS Brakes - Lever slow to return

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Just picked up my bike from LBS and they replaced my RSC levers with Rs and charged me $80 to bleed them. Not happy. When is it OK to replace a top model with two models below and think that that's acceptable. If they'd called me and told me that I wasn't getting RSCs I would have told them to forget it and purchased a lever rebuild kit and still had change left over from the $80 they charged me for the bleed. F%^k.

They told me that Sram is replacing all levers with Rs, but I think that's complete bullshit. Can anyone else who had RSCs replaced confirm that you actually got RSCs back?
That's fucked, keep at them and make sure you get what you originally bought. Still, it's great they are being so good with replacing levers but yeah, you'd expect to get what you need.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
That's fucked, keep at them and make sure you get what you originally bought. Still, it's great they are being so good with replacing levers but yeah, you'd expect to get what you need.
Yep I got RSC's, should be like for like replacement. I took mine back the original place of purchase, no charge for bleed.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yep I got RSC's, should be like for like replacement. I took mine back the original place of purchase, no charge for bleed.
Sheeeeeiiiiiiit sounds like I got fully stiffed. Folks are getting free ultimate calipers thrown in, free bleeds and the right brakes... I got bottom rung levers and paid through the nose for a bleed...

My LBS told me that Sram are giving everyone Rs, I can't imagine what kind of rider wouldn't be like "uh, hang a minute there mate, these are bottom spec levers and I gave you top spec..."

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Sheeeeeiiiiiiit sounds like I got fully stiffed. Folks are getting free ultimate calipers thrown in, free bleeds and the right brakes... I got bottom rung levers and paid through the nose for a bleed...

My LBS told me that Sram are giving everyone Rs, I can't imagine what kind of rider wouldn't be like "uh, hang a minute there mate, these are bottom spec levers and I gave you top spec..."
Don't think SRAM can do that under a warranty issue. Especially if RSC are still available.

Firstly, I would have told the LBS to ram their Guide R levers up their ring piece. It's like for like.... or an upgrade. You paid for RSC's, if they don't work and need replacing, they can't just save some cash for themselves and give you something lower spec.

As for the bleed...... that would have also got a "go eat a bag" off me. SRAM should, as part of the warranty replacement, pay the lbs for the labour needed to replace the levers.

Call sram directly and ask if they are supplying peasant spec levers in place of the RSC's?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Don't think SRAM can do that under a warranty issue. Especially if RSC are still available.

Firstly, I would have told the LBS to ram their Guide R levers up their ring piece. It's like for like.... or an upgrade. You paid for RSC's, if they don't work and need replacing, they can't just save some cash for themselves and give you something lower spec.

As for the bleed...... that would have also got a "go eat a bag" off me. SRAM should, as part of the warranty replacement, pay the lbs for the labour needed to replace the levers.

Call sram directly and ask if they are supplying peasant spec levers in place of the RSC's?
Total agree, problem is that I was over a barrel as I'm heading away for a riding weekend and absolutely need the bike. I would have been happy to bleed the brakes myself, they told me that it was 'required' that they do it and that Sram wouldn't pay them for it. Wouldn't have minded as I'm a but pushed for time, but to pay for a bleed and get shafted on the levers - not cool! I made my outrage known and they left a message later saying that RSC levers will arrive next week, but fark, to think that they thought it was OK just to whack on lower spec and think I might not notice...

I'd love to contact Sram directly, but I've never found a way to do that. Does anyone have Sram's magic direct line number?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine was replaced with an RSC, but was told that if only one was having the issue that is all they'd sort.
Other one has packed up now. Down Pete's for the first time today with little to no rear brake

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Mine was replaced with an RSC, but was told that if only one was having the issue that is all they'd sort.
Other one has packed up now. Down Pete's for the first time today with little to no rear brake
I guess it's easier for them to sound generous about replacing both when they're giving you bottom of the barrel.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Had both mine replaced recently (only the front was playing up), they were R's and came back RSC so was pretty stoked with the free upgrade. Then I sold the bike...

slowmick

38-39"
I'd love to contact Sram directly, but I've never found a way to do that. Does anyone have Sram's magic direct line number?
Have you tried the phone number in the book? they are only in Rowville.

SRAM Australia, 6 Marco Court, Rowville 3178 Phone: (03) 9212 6100.

I sent them my busted X0 carbon crank for their collection of busted shit and they sent me some t-shirts and stickers.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My Guide R's are with the LBS, mechanic grabbed lever and went oh yeah.

Hoping I strike RSC's too, but to be honest I'm pretty happy with the R's when the lever returns.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My Guide R's are with the LBS, mechanic grabbed lever and went oh yeah.

Hoping I strike RSC's too, but to be honest I'm pretty happy with the R's when the lever returns.
For XC duties, R's are fine. Go up one size rotor if not entirely happy with power. I find R's have just the right amount of modulation for XC usage.

betadine

Likes Bikes
Just picked up my bike from LBS and they replaced my RSC levers with Rs and charged me $80 to bleed them. Not happy. When is it OK to replace a top model with two models below and think that that's acceptable. If they'd called me and told me that I wasn't getting RSCs I would have told them to forget it and purchased a lever rebuild kit and still had change left over from the $80 they charged me for the bleed. F%^k.

They told me that Sram is replacing all levers with Rs, but I think that's complete bullshit. Can anyone else who had RSCs replaced confirm that you actually got RSCs back?
That's rubbish! I got new RSCs to replace my old RSCs. Also just got the levers and did the bleed at home myself.

They are taking the piss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonnyT

Likes Bikes

I'm in the same boat Nautonier. Picked up my bike today (from the same LBS) only to find my RS brakes had been replaced with R's. They said they would check with SRAM tomorrow but I'm pretty pissed that they didn't give me a heads up beforehand. I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm in the same boat Nautonier. Picked up my bike today (from the same LBS) only to find my RS brakes had been replaced with R's. They said they would check with SRAM tomorrow but I'm pretty pissed that they didn't give me a heads up beforehand. I'll let you know if I get anywhere.
I'm thinking it's name and shame time.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
That's the thing I was annoyed about as well; that they didn't tell me before installing them. Likewise, I'll let you know how things turn out this week.

On the plus side, they did do a good job of the (expensive) bleed and the Rs worked flawlessly over the weekend. Towards the end they were grabbing further in towards the bars as the pads wore down slightly, which is where on RSCs I would just turn the bite point adjuster half a turn to correct. Really don't know how people ride without this adjustment, do they just keep winding their levers further and further out as the pads wear down?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
That's the thing I was annoyed about as well; that they didn't tell me before installing them. Likewise, I'll let you know how things turn out this week.

On the plus side, they did do a good job of the (expensive) bleed and the Rs worked flawlessly over the weekend. Towards the end they were grabbing further in towards the bars as the pads wore down slightly, which is where on RSCs I would just turn the bite point adjuster half a turn to correct. Really don't know how people ride without this adjustment, do they just keep winding their levers further and further out as the pads wear down?
Having been the recipient of a bonus R to RSC warranty upgrade (sorry, not trying to be smug) and briefly riding them before selling the bike, I agree that the contact point adjustment is a nice feature; it is very easy to get both F+R levers feeling the same. The swing link and ball bearing pivot on the lever feels a bit better than the R version too. The biggest difference I found on the original R's was changing to metal pads - a bit noisier yes, but a lot more stopping power.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The biggest difference I found on the original R's was changing to metal pads - a bit noisier yes, but a lot more stopping power.
I was a die hard organic pad fan for years until I finally tried metallics. Definitely more resistant to heat-fade on long runs and last much longer. You get used to the noise, at least it's not a squawk like the Avid brakes of old, more a grinding kind of sound that's actually quite satisfying as you start to associate it with heaps of braking power/modulation.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And back. As I'd had the issue before and the claim had been validated it was sent to the shop next day.
I'm paying for a bleed though, as the rear is internal rooting.