Specialized stumpjumper HT 29 help

Cave001

Likes Bikes
I wondering the cheapest option to change a 08 specialized stumpjumper HT from 3x10 to either 2x10 or 1x10 which ever would be the cheapest option. Cassette and chainring still seem serviceable if that's of any use. Not looking to by new just something to bring it abit uptodate

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
with 2x10 you'd have to buy a new front shifter & front deraill., with a 1x you'd save yourself that money & prob just need a narrow wide chain ring, though a clutched derailleur would help also. are you wanting to strip the 3 front rings off & use the same cranks?

Cave001

Likes Bikes
Ye Id prefer to use current cranks save having to find the correct ones to replace them, it needs a new derailleur for the rear anyway which is what brought on this whole idea of a refresh. I'm guessing for the front just pick the size sprocket and bcd and bolt it to existing cranks would work just might have to play with the spacing?

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
For 2x from 3x depending if your front derailleur can take the size chainrings you want to use, all you need to do is wind in your limit screws on the FD, use existing shifter and replace the outer ring with a bash plate or shorter chain ring bolts if your crank spider allows. If you go 1X, you will most likely want to run an extender cog on the rear cassette and will most likely need to play around with RD cages or links. There is a large thread in RB about setting up to 1X that just about covers every aspect of it. The easiest way would be going to 2X.

OscarWhitbread

Likes Bikes
I went from 3x to 1x about six months ago on my hardtail. My cassette was starting to look pretty worn so I thought I'd do the lot in one hit. I purchased a 30t narrow/wide chainring for about $40, replaced the cassette with the same 11/36t and a new chain, all up I roughly spent $130. But if everything else is in ok nick, I'd just chuck on a single ring and give it a crack to test it out.

I mainly ride rail trail and dirt roads near me so I'm not chucking the bike around much. I'm still running the original long cage non clutch rear derailleur, but I haven't dropped a chain at all so I don't think I'll bother with getting a clutch rear derailleur at this stage. I'm happy with the setup, not really missing any gear range for the area I ride, the bike looks sleeker with less stuff on it and its easier to clean the crud off 1 chainring.

Just do it.