southern Highlands riding?

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all.
The folks have just bought a place down there. I hear there is riding in wingello and bundanoon.
Is it easy to find? Is it any good? Anyone got any links to trail maps or anything?
Anything else around the area?

Thanks in advance!

T-Rex

Template denier
There's a pretty good XC loop at Mittagong, between the town and the freeway. Trail head is at the end of Meraine St, from memory.

lukar

Cannon Fodder
southern highlands

there is a 10km loop at welby, trailhead starts at the end of the cemetary.
its a fun loop more xc with some tech sections in there.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There is a lot of trails to ride that aren't specifically mountain bike trails, just fun point to point trails with fire roads in between etc. I know of a fair few awesome downhill runs that are pretty well hidden, PM me f you want to know about those ones.
Have a look at the Southern Highlands Cycle Club webpage for some trail info. ;)

.dan.

Likes Dirt
What sort of riding are you wanting to find out about? There's plenty of XC in the area and the tracks are legal and raced on by the local club. There isn't any legal DH tracks in the area, but theres a few DH tracks in the area that I errrr...... stumbled upon one day.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wingello is easy to find. Turn left 10 meters past the little shop (the only shop) and stay straight on that road into the forrest. There a map board in tha camp area and 3 trails are marked out well, red loop is fun.
I used to ride a overgrown trail from back of bundanoon into penrose forest, further along the dirt pad past the pony club from where the highland fling turns into the private farms. there's fire trails about the top of moreton NP as well. Nice views but so so riding.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks heaps so far fellas!

type of riding... well i have a Demo with cobwebs on it and my current go to machine a Trance SX.
So really, tech single track, fast flowy,jumps whatever really. Will ride most DH tracks on the trance, just not huge rock gardens or drops.
Sounds like i might have to dust off the demo lol

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welby is a 10km loop of single track which the choclate foot is raced on - so technically its an XC track it is a little techy in places but is heaps of fun.

Wingello is home of the fling, three ring circus and the willo XC races, a lot less techy but fun neither the less. The 25km red loop has some long stretches of fire trail. Blue and yellow loops at Wingello are exclusively fire trail.

Penrose state forest can be ridden - there is some off shoots of single track if you look hard but its mainly fire trail and can be accessed from Bundanoon about a 15min ride.

Morton National park is in Bundanoon and has 2 sections of fire trail you can ride - no real technical challenges.

Depending on your timing there is a loop at Fitzroy falls on private property - if you are around when a club race is on there (once a month roughly) you could always ride in it.

Lastly there is the cannonball run which runs from Meryla to Kangaroo valley and back if you love to climb.

Check out the southern highland cycle club website....