Something new(ish) from Focus suspension-wise?

safreek

I get that the axle travels through a constant arc, but can't that arc also include rearward motion depending on the location of the pivot point?

I understand why rearward travel improves square edged hits but most of the graphs I've seen actually exaggerate the path in order to actually see the differences. I'd like to see actuall comparisons to see actually how different the wheel path is? Surely if it's less than 5mm then tyre deflection would minimise some of the differences.

My questions were only reinforced after looking closely at the highly regarded evil following only to find that it is a single pivot?
mate, if you ride for fun and not for a living get a single pivot, fuck all maintenance, absolute joy to pedal, much less to break. And to top it off they seem to boost better (with a coil) for leaving the ground. Much more fun than a squishy armchair that does it all for you.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are you saying 'bullshit, it's a faux bar not a single pivot' or 'old single pivots are bullshit' :noidea: or are you just being wrong?
Im pretty sure this is a scene from the Hobbit. Its like being tangled in a spider's Web.

mate, if you ride for fun and not for a living get a single pivot, fuck all maintenance, absolute joy to pedal, much less to break. And to top it off they seem to boost better (with a coil) for leaving the ground. Much more fun than a squishy armchair that does it all for you.
Easy tiger...if you ride for fun (and have no ego issues) buy a giant. Steve Pete slayed the world on the boat anchor Noah used to more the arch, a big chattery single pivot.

moorey

call me Mia
Are you saying 'bullshit, it's a faux bar not a single pivot' or 'old single pivots are bullshit' :noidea: or are you just being wrong?
I'm saying that when people refer to 'single pivots' they aren't referring to the bar linkage, linkage driven single pivot etc.
I don't think anyone but a nitpicker would say 'kona, yep single pivot'. If that makes me wrong, I'll wear it.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Axle path

I'm saying that when people refer to 'single pivots' they aren't referring to the bar linkage, linkage driven single pivot etc.
I don't think anyone but a nitpicker would say 'kona, yep single pivot'. If that makes me wrong, I'll wear it.
The Poo was referring to axle path, in which case a single pivot is a single pivot. The variance is in the position of the pivot.
Shock rates are a whole other kettle of fish, and have much more to do with how a suspension design feels than AP

moorey

call me Mia
The Poo was referring to axle path, in which case a single pivot is a single pivot. The variance is in the position of the pivot.
Shock rates are a whole other kettle of fish, and have much more to do with how a suspension design feels than AP
Fair point dude.

The Dude

Still single pivot

Just out of curiosity, have you got one for I-drive/freedrive bikes?
This is one for a Sensor 1.0.

iDrive uses a linkage system to adjust the BB position through the travel, but is still a single pivot axle path.
It looks different to the Kona due to the position of the pivot

Attachments

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
I think that's the ''it's a faux bar not single pivot" argument

The Dude

Yes

Faux Bar = Single Pivot?
Faux bar IS single pivot; it just drives the shock with a linkage arrangement (of which there are many variations) to provide a different curve (which is to say the rate which the rear wheel "drives" the shock)

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Faux bar IS single pivot; it just drives the shock with a linkage arrangement (of which there are many variations) to provide a different curve (which is to say the speed that the rear wheel "drives" the shock)
But there are multiple pivots on the Faux Bar.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
But there are multiple pivots on the Faux Bar.
Single pivot refers to the amount of pivots between the front triangle and the rear wheel along the chain stay... Ie, one. Can have whatever you like on the seat stays (or no seat stay at all), but it doesn't change the axle path.