Something new(ish) from Focus suspension-wise?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I was killing a bit of time and having a drool on the Focus website earlier and came across this:

http://www.focus-bikes.com/au/en/technology/focus-optimized-linkage-design.html

It looks like Focus are going for a trunnion mount shock, a single pivot one piece rear triangle with a funky shock linkage that gives a 'degressive' initial leverage curve for small bump plushness (albeit with a custom tuned shock). Anyone had any experience with this setup?

The other novel thing is the FD mount on the rear triangle - I guess a single bottom pivot allows this to work.

Sorry if this has been posted before - I'm shit at searching RB forums.

Last edited:

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
APP reborn

Aren't Focus and Santa Cruz owned by the same multinational now?
It actually looks like a re-jigged APP link - probably some inbreeding going on

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Why is a single pivot clunky?
Wheel axle runs on a linear arc which has a higher incidence of wheel hook. If you're riding really smooth trails (or hard pack like a bmx track) then you'll likely be fine. But ride along a few metres of rocks (imagine a pile of bricks scattered for 10m along a trail and you can't not run into them) and you'll feel a lot of chatter.

I used to love single pivot bikes for their simplicity. But not for a long time, I'm not a smooth enough rider as it is. I don't need the bike causing me more grief.

Nambra

Aren't Focus and Santa Cruz owned by the same multinational now?
It actually looks like a re-jigged APP link - probably some inbreeding going on
Looks like you're right on that count. Pon Holdings (Dutch) owns SC and Derby Cycle which runs the Focus brand.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Beware the trolls.
Not fishing this time...that is my genuine opinion on single pivot suspension designs and the many suspension designs that incorporate various linkages and levers but still deliver a single pivot system.

I have no opinion about the influence such contrivances have on suspension graphing etc. That's not wheel path.

Nambra

Wasn't this how Ibis came about?
My www whispering isn't that good... Ibis are based in Santa Cruz, can't see any other relationship though (2 glasses of red down though, so not looking too hard). Your comment re: single pivots makes sense for the Focus O1E (29er XC weapon) which uses the FOLD suspension setup, but the 140mm Jam trail bike would seem to contrast with your thoughts - borrowing from the Heckler perhaps?

Wheel axle runs on a linear arc which has a higher incidence of wheel hook. If you're riding really smooth trails (or hard pack like a bmx track) then you'll likely be fine. But ride along a few metres of rocks (imagine a pile of bricks scattered for 10m along a trail and you can't not run into them) and you'll feel a lot of chatter.

I used to love single pivot bikes for their simplicity. But not for a long time, I'm not a smooth enough rider as it is. I don't need the bike causing me more grief.
I get that the axle travels through a constant arc, but can't that arc also include rearward motion depending on the location of the pivot point?

I understand why rearward travel improves square edged hits but most of the graphs I've seen actually exaggerate the path in order to actually see the differences. I'd like to see actuall comparisons to see actually how different the wheel path is? Surely if it's less than 5mm then tyre deflection would minimise some of the differences.

My questions were only reinforced after looking closely at the highly regarded evil following only to find that it is a single pivot?

moorey

call me Mia
Poo Doodle I'd a hack, a noob and a roob. His opinions on SP's are invalid.
Keen to see a Jam in the flesh any day at LBS. Real fan of the Spines, and the Sam seem pretty cool, but I reckon 140mm is the money shot in a quiver killer bike.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I get that the axle travels through a constant arc, but can't that arc also include rearward motion depending on the location of the pivot point?

I understand why rearward travel improves square edged hits but most of the graphs I've seen actually exaggerate the path in order to actually see the differences. I'd like to see actuall comparisons to see actually how different the wheel path is? Surely if it's less than 5mm then tyre deflection would minimise some of the differences.

My questions were only reinforced after looking closely at the highly regarded evil following only to find that it is a single pivot?
Yep, works just like a compass...still rides like shit in anything rough.

Poo Doodle I'd a hack, a noob and a roob. His opinions on SP's are invalid.
Keen to see a Jam in the flesh any day at LBS. Real fan of the Spines, and the Sam seem pretty cool, but I reckon 140mm is the money shot in a quiver killer bike.
Orange go for double clunk...still running Noah's suspension design in conjunction with that trumpet down tube. Nearly as well tuned as the old monocoque frames. Last one of those I owned was a beautiful drum, so noisey.

moorey

call me Mia
Orange go for double clunk...still running Noah's suspension design in conjunction with that trumpet down tube. Nearly as well tuned as the old monocoque frames. Last one of those I owned was a beautiful drum, so noisey.
Like I said. Hack. Noob. Roob.