Snow Thread 2014!!!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys!

after a quick search, came up with nothing for this year, and after a large dumping so far this week, it has got me amped to get back on a board!
with many resorts getting 50+ cm of fresh powder dumped on their slopes in the last 24 hours, who else is as keen as me!

would love to see whos going up to the snow this season, and possibly catch up with fellow burners!

after the advice of you guys last year, i had a week at the snow, and it was the best week ever, and since then have caught the bug and have been waiting for the first bit of snow to hit the mountains. So im pretty sure i will be at buller this Sunday to celebrate the end of another school term. Who else might i see up at the vic slopes this season?

cheers

Shredden

Knows his goats
I spend more time sliding on my arse than achieving anything meaningful, but I'll head up a few times during the season.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'm pretty keen to get up there, planning on Saturday.. although finding out it's school holidays (no offence - but it's STUPID busy) is a slight deterrent, although hoping saturday might just beat the majority of the crowds.. and it's meant to puke another foot of snow that day.. but yeah this storm or series of fronts has given the season a super kick in the butt!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm pretty keen to get up there, planning on Saturday.. although finding out it's school holidays (no offence - but it's STUPID busy) is a slight deterrent, although hoping saturday might just beat the majority of the crowds.. and it's meant to puke another foot of snow that day.. but yeah this storm or series of fronts has given the season a super kick in the butt!
yeah - no offence taken, but school holidays suck at the snow, and i rarely get to go when its not holidays....

For those wandering, school holidays start this weekend and go for 2 weeks. so if you wanna miss the crowds, go now!!!

MTBloke

Likes Dirt
I cannot wait!!! Heading down to Perisher in August so hopefully the bucket load of snow hangs around till then........ was a little bit worried there for a few weeks with no snow, but this cold front has sorted all the problems :Banane34:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
50cm of fresh sounds nice, but not much good if there was no base to begin with. Hopefully some of that 50cm will turn into a solid base with plenty more winter storms to follow!

We're off to the USA in Jan 2015 for a month of riding(snowboarding) and I pulled out our gear from last time we rode (2011). I looked at a few snowboarding websites (Burton, K2, etc) and it seems our boards (Burton Malolos from 2010) are so old skool. Am so not with the times when it comes to snowboard gear now!

With all the cycling we're doing, it means my snowboarding pants are getting even baggier for me (and I was a Size "S" already!). Do Burton do an XS?!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Board shapes have been progressing pretty rapidly for a little while now. I was a bit like yourself cheese wizz. I did a few trips on 1 board and never had any complaints towards it. Then one day decided on a new board and bam! 3 boards in 4 seasons just so I could try out different designs! Lucky for you the kids gear is still an option!

If you want to try something really rad try and get a mini. I grabbed an old rossignol mini this year before japan and couldnt believe how much fun they are!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
will be at buller for tuesday or wednesday. or maybe both next week

anyone else going to be there?

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
Fresh turns all day yesterday, with about 15 people on the mt at guthega. Today looks even better. 2 ft of windblown up against the front door right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunndog

Eats Squid
Drove up to Falls on saturday night, sunday and monday on the snow. Wow. That was some of the best skiing you will ever likely do in aus! Sunday was still pretty foggy with the wind picking up and dropping off all day, but nowhere near as bad as saturday apparently. Snowed hard all night saturday, all day sunday and kept going a bit lighter through sunday night. Monday morning was bluebird until about 11, still heaps of frshies to be had and the snow quality didn't suffer one bit. Truly epic stuff and one of the few times you drive off the mountain feeling it was money well spent. I am in la la land today. And the school holiday crowds didn't manage to get there yet either, didn't queue for a lift once. Opened the Summit at 1pm Sunday arvo for first time this season. Nucking futs.

Last edited:

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Sadly will only be getting up once this year, first week of September.
The photos of the snow on social media sites has been hard to look at, major jealousy.
You don't get the amounts of snow of that quality very often in Australia, last week was a one in a few years kinda system.
Sets up the rest of the season however, so fingers crossed for some more follow up system to really cement the base for the whole season.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Sadly will only be getting up once this year, first week of September.
The photos of the snow on social media sites has been hard to look at, major jealousy.
You don't get the amounts of snow of that quality very often in Australia, last week was a one in a few years kinda system.
Sets up the rest of the season however, so fingers crossed for some more follow up system to really cement the base for the whole season.
Please don't use the word 'cement' in this thread!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buller day trip was nuts the other day, bluebird day, and great snow!
so worth the 4:30 get up!!

was so glad to get back on a board and try and re learn what i have forgotten in the year that has passed since i was last on the slopes!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More snow has just been dumped, with more on the way
Looks like im taking a few days off school next week!

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Booked into Hotham for 31st til the 3rd.

Its not cheap! Accomodation, lift tickets, resort entry/parking + food.
I was keen to get some new pants as mine were ripped when I broke my pelvis in NZ, think ill have to get the needle n thread out.

So where is cheap to eat and drink and Hotham?

Swindlers, The General or Jack frost?

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
Hotham was brilliant last weekend - fresh pow' on Saturday, backed up with a blue sky Sunday. Can barely walk today....:peace:

Lots of GoPro-wearing wanna-be's carted away in the banana boats, too much time watcing YouTube over summer?!.....

Cam