Snakes

Flow-Rider

Burner
I read somewhere that they are a 'good' snake to have around, as they hunt and eat other snakes.
Yeah, not as aggressive as some others and the bite is usually non-fatal. A mate of mine got bit a few years ago on the shin after stepping on one in the bush, he said it hurt a fair bit and fell to the ground in shock and thought he was going to die, he got up a few minutes later, started to get the sweats and went to the hospital by then his shin was twice the size of the other. They kept him in the hospital overnight and released him the next day when I saw him the swelling was still up and I think he was still peeing red by then. If you have other health ailments it still could do you in.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I read somewhere that they are a 'good' snake to have around, as they hunt and eat other snakes.
While they are known to eat other snakes including browns, this is what the experts say:

A positive and widespread piece of folk wisdom about red-bellied black snakes is that they eat the more dangerous eastern brown snakes (Pseudonaja textilis), and thus if red-bellied black snakes are present, brown snakes will not be. Unfortunately, this is not entirely true – whilst red-bellied black snakes will certainly eat brown snakes (and other snakes), and thus may contribute to keeping their numbers down, the presence of black snakes is no guarantee as to the absence of brown snakes. It is an interesting fact, however, that black snakes appear immune to the venom of brown and other venomous snakes, as they have been observed receiving multiple bites from their toxic prey without apparent ill effect.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
While they are known to eat other snakes including browns, this is what the experts say:

A positive and widespread piece of folk wisdom about red-bellied black snakes is that they eat the more dangerous eastern brown snakes (Pseudonaja textilis), and thus if red-bellied black snakes are present, brown snakes will not be. Unfortunately, this is not entirely true – whilst red-bellied black snakes will certainly eat brown snakes (and other snakes), and thus may contribute to keeping their numbers down, the presence of black snakes is no guarantee as to the absence of brown snakes. It is an interesting fact, however, that black snakes appear immune to the venom of brown and other venomous snakes, as they have been observed receiving multiple bites from their toxic prey without apparent ill effect.
The red-bellied black snakes are unfortunately not very resistant to cane toad toxins. :(

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not my pics, but it pays to keep your eyes peeled in the tool shed sometimes.

That could have been an unpleasant surprise, bugger that! :eek:

View attachment 408033View attachment 408032
Was probably attracted to the warmth if it had been used recently.

I had one curl up in the wheel of my car. Drove off without noticing it but found out when I got a horrible steering shake once I hit the highway. He got a little dizzy unfortunately.

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
You must have done something to really piss it off, 'cos Red-Bellies are generally pretty placid critters.
Reckon it just had an attitude problem. I was just walking along (in my yard), it bit me and then promptly disappeared into some bushes.
I wasn't being loud or moving quickly. Most people suggest that I must have stepped on it, but being bare foot at the time, I am sure I didn't

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yeah, not as aggressive as some others and the bite is usually non-fatal. A mate of mine got bitten a few years ago on the shin after stepping on one in the bush, he said it hurt a fair bit and fell to the ground in shock and thought he was going to die, he got up a few minutes later, started to get the sweats and went to the hospital by then his shin was twice the size of the other. They kept him in the hospital overnight and released him the next day when I saw him the swelling was still up and I think he was still peeing red by then. If you have other health ailments it still could do you in.
From a lot of stuff I've read over the years, there hasn't ever been a confirmed death from a red-belly. Relatively low-toxicity venom and generally mild temperament mean that officially they're not considered dangerous to humans, although you can still get pretty crook on the off chance one takes a chomp on you.

Flow-Rider

Burner
From a lot of stuff I've read over the years, there hasn't ever been a confirmed death from a red-belly. Relatively low-toxicity venom and generally mild temperament mean that officially they're not considered dangerous to humans, although you can still get pretty crook on the off chance one takes a chomp on you.
I haven't seen that many here, not that I go looking for them but they must be more of a recluse to other snakes. I see at least over 5 eastern browns every summer.