Snakes

aRogue

Likes Bikes
What type of snakes are at Lysty and which should i steer well clear of? Been riding there for a good month or two and have luckily yet to see one *knocks wood*.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
What type of snakes are at Lysty and which should i steer well clear of? Been riding there for a good month or two and have luckily yet to see one *knocks wood*.
Not sure what the snake fauna is like at lysty - I presume browns and tigers being common? but as a general rule stay away from them all, although from my experience they are always in the middle of the track on a blind corner.

While you haven't seen one, I bet they have seen you!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Not sure what the snake fauna is like at lysty - I presume browns and tigers being common? but as a general rule stay away from them all, although from my experience they are always in the middle of the track on a blind corner.

I carry a snake bike kit.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I say it to everyone, red belly black snake is a 'nice' snake as far as snakes go.

They eat browns so I love em!
Urban myth (in the way presented).

Both Browns and Red/blacks will eat other (smaller) snakes.

Tigers don't though.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Browns are mad buggers, so give them an especially wide berth if you see one. Tigers have dreadful eyesight, so you're likely to be well past before they even see you to have a go, plus they're more likely to piss off into the grass. Both can be pretty bad news if you get chomped, because the venom is potent and fairly rapidly-acting, but can be slowed if you remain immobile. Brown bites can be difficult to treat even with the correct antivenene because there is some chemical trickery in the venom that resists treatment.

Blacks & Copperheads may also be found, but will pose less of a risk. They tend to be fairly placid, especially Copperheads, plus their venom is relatively low on the toxicity scale. Copperheads rarely bite, even if you stand on them and stay there; instead they will just headbutt you to try to make you get off them!

Of course, as others have said treat them all with respect, give them a wide berth if possible & try not to get between them & shelter.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Three of us were sitting just off the trail at Lysty having a chat and a snack when one of the guys said "dont move". I small black snake came right through the middle of us and kept going. It really wasnt concerned with us at all.

Where I had a brown basically chase us out of its patch at the Youies once. "righto you lot- get out of here, stop looking at me- go on bugger off, here Ill chase ya".

My old man and I were hunting in the Gulf 30+ years ago and he got down low to duck under a tree branch across the trail and a taipan was on the branch. It struck at him hitting the brim of his hat, dropped onto the path and had another go. I was only 12 and just behind him- with the snake in the middle of us. The bugger was so fiesty and aggressive. Put the willies up me for years

crowash

Likes Dirt

Tigers don't though.
+ 1 Urban myth, repeated by just about everyone I've ever spoken to about snakes. The other reason being that generally they live off different prey and can be found in different ecosystems.

slowandold

Likes Dirt
+ 1 Urban myth, repeated by just about everyone I've ever spoken to about snakes. The other reason being that generally they live off different prey and can be found in different ecosystems.
Sort of like the "won't see sharks around dolphins" myth.

123.jpg

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Browns are mad buggers, so give them an especially wide berth if you see one. Tigers have dreadful eyesight, so you're likely to be well past before they even see you to have a go, plus they're more likely to piss off into the grass. Both can be pretty bad news if you get chomped, because the venom is potent and fairly rapidly-acting, but can be slowed if you remain immobile. Brown bites can be difficult to treat even with the correct antivenene because there is some chemical trickery in the venom that resists treatment.

Blacks & Copperheads may also be found, but will pose less of a risk. They tend to be fairly placid, especially Copperheads, plus their venom is relatively low on the toxicity scale. Copperheads rarely bite, even if you stand on them and stay there; instead they will just headbutt you to try to make you get off them!

Of course, as others have said treat them all with respect, give them a wide berth if possible & try not to get between them & shelter.
Thanks for detailed reply.

Browns are the only snake I fear, respect all others, been chased more than once by a random angry brown coming out the scrub at me whilst hiking. A friend had a copperhead on his property a few weeks ago, most placid snake I have ever seen, even when the snake guy came and collected it, it just didn't give a shit.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
aRogue, the two types of snakes I've seen at Lysterfield have been Red Bellied Black snakes and Brown Snakes. I've gotten my wheel within inches of the Red Bellies and they don't move at all, so far I've only seen one smaller Brown from a distance.

All this snake talk has reminded me to buy a proper compression bandage for snake bites. found a 3.5m x 10cm setopress here for $20.50 delivered

rb.JPG

Eastern_Brown_Snake_-_Kempsey_NSW.jpg

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC

Yet when you try and tell people that you normally don't see them in the same place because they like different environments someone will inevitably bring up the photo of a RBBS regurgitating a Brown... Like 1 photo of a Red belly failing to eat the brown proves their point..:tape2:

Anyhoo came across this feisty little tiger snake out on a fire trail over the weekend. vid doesn't do it justice. Brilliant colours for a small snake. Big attitude too, fattened itself right out and sat up at us prior to me getting the camera out
[video=youtube_share;nn2qctVuNCM]http://youtu.be/nn2qctVuNCM[/video]

aRogue

Likes Bikes
Saw a brown snake for the first time today at Lysty.

As i was riding through a narrow trail i heard something on the right of me and from the corner of my eye i saw something move. When i turned my head, i saw a brown snake with it's head slightly elevated. Absolutely shat myself and blazed through that the rest of the trail. Think i'm going to avoid that part of Lysty for a while...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Saw a brown snake for the first time today at Lysty.

As i was riding through a narrow trail i heard something on the right of me and from the corner of my eye i saw something move. When i turned my head, i saw a brown snake with it's head slightly elevated. Absolutely shat myself and blazed through that the rest of the trail. Think i'm going to avoid that part of Lysty for a while...
what trail were you on?