Slow cooker recipes...

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spaghettibolognese_67868

F*** the mushrooms off (disgusting things. From the same family as athletes foot, why in the hell would anybody put them in their mouth?), make sure it's all fresh herbs you use for the sauce and just adapt the recipe for a slow cooker rather than a standard pot (i.e throw it all in and let the wine work it's magic over 6-8 hours.)

Gumbo is always a winner too:

www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-and-sausage-gumbo-with-shrimp-55786

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Oh yeah, you can't beat coming home on a cold day and having that smell hit you. So good! I can't offer any recipes as I'm not home when the contents are thrown in that morning but I do love the use of our frsh garden herbs, parsley and chives. My wife has a cracking good veggie garden happening and it gets a workout in winter with the slow cooker. ;)

Zam

Likes Dirt
Will be following this thread with interest, we have had bugger all luck cooking great things in the slow cooker like it should be, but use the crock pot in the over for a few hours and have fantastic results...

Would love to gte some great recipes and be able to put everything in and head off to work so dinner is waiting when getting home.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i never use recipes. you just chuck in 200g of meat per person, the same amount of seasonal veg (hard veg like spuds first, soft veg like broccoli last 2 hours) with about 100g of butter, herbs from your garden and onions and garlic to suit, and top up with sour cream or coconut cream and serve with a side of rice.

too easy.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just dont add the okra....a truly filthy slimy little bastard of a vegetable
+1, discusting......

Great thread, was just thinking last night that a meal thread was in order, gettting sick of the same old menu, spag bog, Mex, dahl, BBQ fish n salad, etc
Somehow find it hard to get out out of the rut of cooking the same old staples every week (or ordering pizza....)

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
i never use recipes. you just chuck in 200g of meat per person, the same amount of seasonal veg (hard veg like spuds first, soft veg like broccoli last 2 hours) with about 100g of butter, herbs from your garden and onions and garlic to suit, and top up with sour cream or coconut cream and serve with a side of rice.

too easy.
For someone who never uses recipes, you sure like sharing your own (complete with correct weighed portions and options)
Made me chuckle!

Anyways, just wanted to ask, is the quality of your slow cooker/appliance setup going to strongly impact your final dish? Has anyone bought a bad slow cooker?

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For someone who never uses recipes, you sure like sharing your own (complete with correct weighed portions and options)
Made me chuckle!

Anyways, just wanted to ask, is the quality of your slow cooker/appliance setup going to strongly impact your final dish? Has anyone bought a bad slow cooker?
hahaha LIKE~!+1

I would not think so, your cooking it for so long, that i would suppose as long as it is under 130 it wouldnt really matter and i couldnt imagine a slow cooker was set too high, I use a big stone casarole dish and slow cook that in the oven which is hotter and turns out very similar.

I have the cheapest slow cooker i could buy and I have never had a problem, I would rather use stone in the oven though as it warms up the house, smells better and seems to taste better. The stone dish is like over $100 if your getting it cheap where as the slow cooker is about $40 i think.

Last edited: