Slingshots

norcotim

Likes Dirt
hey bruiser. me and a couple of mates made slingshots and they worked really well!!! we got our rubbers for clarkrubber... it about 8 dollars for a metre and that was just enough for three slingshots, but what your looking at 20 dollars should be able to make that and use leather for the pouch, the only bad thing that happened when we had them was my mate got shot the forehead (it was funny) thats only thing dont aim at ya mates!!hope this helps

cheers tim

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Visit http://www.archeryacademy.com.au/
Scroll down the page and type 'slingshot' into the search bar.
These slingshots are much better than home made, and post from Adelaide.

They're also illegal to be caught with, so be careful.

Edit: I didn't look at your link... You can probably fire water bombs from these slingshots too.

Last edited:

noddy

Likes Dirt
when i made slingshots i went natural using a wooden fork thing.... got some big flat rubber bands and used thin rubber band windings to secure it to the stick.... used a piece of old and thin mtb tyre as a pouch.
(learnt from osterson4)

worked supprisingley well got maybe 70-80 meters distance with a marble, good accuracy too, i can't aim verry well with the surgical tubing type of slingshots:confused:

used to play a shooting game with them, cumquarts (mini oranges), glasses, 4-5 people and an open field.

that old now though, now i've got a homemade crossbow.... yeah,,, it shoots through trees, and many other things for that matter (insert pycho killer smily)

Last edited:

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Have you heard of glove guns??

they are madd... the only problem is that a glove gun can only shoot out small objects... eg. peas. marble

oh and for those who dont know.. a glove gun is just a pipe.. with a finger cut out of a glove and taped on..

glove guns are the bomb and easy i have made a slingshot i just welded up some 13mm round bar into a y shape cut the tounge out of my old school shoes and got about 10 (5 each side ) large flat rubber bands shoots quite well

norcotim

Likes Dirt
when i made slingshots i went natural using a wooden fork thing.... got some big flat rubber bands and used thin rubber band windings to secure it to the stick.... used a piece of old and thin mtb tyre as a pouch.
(learnt from osterson4)

worked supprisingley well got maybe 70-80 meters distance with a marble, good accuracy too, i can't aim verry well with the surgical tubing type of slingshots:confused:

used to play a shooting game with them, cumquarts (mini oranges), glasses, 4-5 people and an open field.

that old now though, now i've got a homemade crossbow.... yeah,,, it shoots through trees, and many other things for that matter (insert pycho killer smily)

how did you make the crossbow i wanna know

thanks tim

J-ack

Banned
Just head over to Asia for a late christmas and get yourself a Wrist Rocket, fires soooo bloody far and hard.

noddy

Likes Dirt
basicly made a big T shaped thing out of wood (strong wood)

routed a groove down the middle of the T for the bolt to sit in

put in two handles

put bolts into either end of the T

the carrage is made of wire, as stif as you can find and as light as you can find, use some sort of tubeing where the rubber bands attach to it or the wire will cut through the rubber bands (always keep an eye on this)

the trigger is housed in the wood, drill a hole through the wood and then carefully widen the hole by leaning the drill back and forth along its intended movement path, drill a hole though the wood so it intersects with the elongated hole. drill a hole through a steel rod, about 2-3 cm from the end of the rod, put the rod in the elongated hole, pas a nail or other shaft throught the hole in the wood and the steel rod, the rod should be free to move back and forth, use a few rubber bands to pull the rod from it's grip end to the front handle.

yeah. pretty simple realy, but it works. i am confident that it could be lethal so don't act like a fool with it, it aint a sling shot!

the longer the thing is the better, always leave it so that the last 10% of rubber strech is not used, correspondingly the longer it is the stronger it needs to be, it should not flex notacably, if it does do not use it!, imagine the T snapping when your looking down the side of it:eek:

i am in no way resonsible if you get hurt using this, use at you own risk.

Attachments

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
basicly made a big T shaped thing out of wood (strong wood)

routed a groove down the middle of the T for the bolt to sit in

put in two handles

put bolts into either end of the T

the carrage is made of wire, as stif as you can find and as light as you can find, use some sort of tubeing where the rubber bands attach to it or the wire will cut through the rubber bands (always keep an eye on this)

the trigger is housed in the wood, drill a hole through the wood and then carefully widen the hole by leaning the drill back and forth along its intended movement path, drill a hole though the wood so it intersects with the elongated hole. drill a hole through a steel rod, about 2-3 cm from the end of the rod, put the rod in the elongated hole, pas a nail or other shaft throught the hole in the wood and the steel rod, the rod should be free to move back and forth, use a few rubber bands to pull the rod from it's grip end to the front handle.

yeah. pretty simple realy, but it works. i am confident that it could be lethal so don't act like a fool with it, it aint a sling shot!

the longer the thing is the better, always leave it so that the last 10% of rubber strech is not used, correspondingly the longer it is the stronger it needs to be, it should not flex notacably, if it does do not use it!, imagine the T snapping when your looking down the side of it:eek:

i am in no way resonsible if you get hurt using this, use at you own risk.
Just don't get me to cock it back in place... hey Noddy? :p

Jarrad

Likes Dirt
Isn't Queensland the only state where slingshots are legal or something? You can just go down to the local camping shop and they sell slingshots and the bullets. You can pick a pretty good one for 20 - 30 bucks. I think Amart sells them too.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
use medical tubing mythbusters used it for their giant one, the stuff awesome i had some to strengthen my wrist after a splint for 4 months and its so stretchy and flings back so fast and hard, its the best whipper :p

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
They're illegal here in NSW too... but i've got one kicking around from before the laws came in. Not the Y shaped piece of steel or wood. Moulded hand grip and wrist support frame etc.

Something like this

Despite it now being illegal to own or sell the 'real' slingshots - the real slingshot band tube and pouches can be found at some sporting/firearms stores, along with hunting ammunition (essentially large ball bearings).
Cheap as chips as far as i remember and do a wicked job. You could even mount one of the proper band setups onto your own ghetto slingshot if you were to run across a stockist.

Regan

Eats Squid
Here’s one I knocked up a while ago…

Frame is made out of 5mm steel rod from the hardwere store. Handle is a small piece of old broom handle with two slits cut down the side and wrapped in rubber. Pouch is made from an old leather work boot. Bands are some Hand spear gun rubber from a dive shop.

It works AWESOME! VERY POWERFULL!!!! Will punch a truck wheel bearing through a Colourbond fence and shoot nearly 800m

Attachments

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was in a gun shop in echuca in victoria buying some ammunation for our guns and i happened to notice a slingshot on the wall it was $30 it looked much like a wrist rocket and beside it was a replacement sling i was going to get it but the shop owner wouldn't let me without my parents permisson i was shattered because aren't they illegal?
The good thing was my friend used to live in south africa and brought his on the plane back from there.:D