Shimano M970 still a good buy?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
In further proof I need more adult supervision I'm looking at another bike project. Given it'll mostly be used for commuting / light trail duties I'm considering all sorts of weird shit, including front derailleurs... I've got my eye on a few bikes that could be stripped for parts that have a bit of Shimano M970 on them and I'm wondering if this is still a good option? It was top of the line kit but that was also in 2006 - any contemporary experience on here with it? Is it still nice to use or would I be better off with a ghetto 1x11 set up or similar instead?

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still good gear.
Skip the rear mech in favour of a m985 (clutch)
The cranks are a little flexy for serious pedallers (i have them on my dh bike which i try not to pedal much at all)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
All personal choice I guess and if you can find XTR goodness that isn't worn out to an inch of its life. The M970 XTR generation look close to the M660 SLX that I have on BigBlue than have just worked and never given me any issues. I do like the the business only look of the M970 crankset. You can still find 104/64mm BCD chainrings easy enough.

Getting some lower spec painted crankets and stripping then autosoling to a mirrored finish is also an option to add bling to low and mid spec goodies too. If you are looking for a commuter / light trail flatlander bike then I think a 2x or 3x would give you more useful gearing.
If you can snag a cheap 8 speed Alfine rear hub or wheel like what I have on Justin Timberline then give it some thought - it is heavy but it works really well and you can use a singlespeed drivetrain. The shifting is sublime and some would rightly say, almost erotic, I haven't needed a bigger or lower gear yet.

Build it in the way that makes you happy - forget trends and the next person. The adventure of making old junk useful is worthy.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Still good gear.
Skip the rear mech in favour of a m985 (clutch)
The cranks are a little flexy for serious pedallers (i have them on my dh bike which i try not to pedal much at all)
Interesting - didn't know the later 10 speed mechs would work with 9 speed?
Funnily enough the cranks are one thing I already have, scored some a little while ago.
Build it in the way that makes you happy - forget trends and the next person. The adventure of making old junk useful is worthy.
The stuff I'm considering certainly looks in great condition - not even any rub marks on cranks etc. Looks like M660 is the same generation so you're correct there. And you'd probably like this project then - it's a 26" hardtail :) Realistically I should just get a road or gravel bike but nothing within my price range is sparking much enthusiasm.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The stuff I'm considering certainly looks in great condition - not even any rub marks on cranks etc. Looks like M660 is the same generation so you're correct there. And you'd probably like this project then - it's a 26" hardtail :) Realistically I should just get a road or gravel bike but nothing within my price range is sparking much enthusiasm.
The fix is easy, call the old '26" hardtail' a 'Gravel bike'. Instantly in with the cool kids and the bank account and bike corral won't suffer as much. If you are looking for straight out speed then a 3x roadie can't be beat but for the cyclepaths here there is also are gutters to hop, bits that are unpaved and people to slalom and avoid so tyres that are pavement friendly and roll well but can also do a bit of light offroad make a huge difference. A light duties MTB makes more sense.

I hear you with new bikes. I haven't had the urge to build anything since the 5010 was done. Not to diss new bikes and they technically awesome and way beyond my averageness but I am happy with what I have now. The itch has been scratched :cool: The much tricker part is always to have the time to ride 'em.

A nice 26"er frame will build up well.